U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,058,839 times

Advertisements

From when I've seen of Canada, the more populated parts of Canada often have similar style highways as US interstates. In less populated areas, sometimes not. For example, with only one lane in each direction at times. You can't drive across Canada and only be on interstate-style highways. No, the Canadian gas tax isn't connected to road funding, it's just for the general budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 09:29 PM

972 posts, read 739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
This video gives you a pretty good idea what Tokyo is like. The quality is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8IdjST6QZg
So Japan's freeways are like viaducts right? Why don't we do that in America? Tokyo has earthquakes and the freeways are still there so thanks a nice design why don't we do that here?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,278,649 times
Montreal had some god awful roads I remember driving in Montreal and just going wtf at the quality the whole time. I live in Pennsylvania and my state is ranked the worst or the second to worst yearly for the maintenance of our roads but Montreal was far worse the last time I was there back in 2008.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:50 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,895,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
So Japan's freeways are like viaducts right? Why don't we do that in America? Tokyo has earthquakes and the freeways are still there so thanks a nice design why don't we do that here?
Probably cost. It makes sense in Tokyo due to land costs. It probably wouldn't make economic sense in say LA. Plus most Americans would probably not be satisfied with two narrow lanes each direction. The way American's drive it would probably be constantly blocked with wrecks.

Also earthquakes are a big problem for the infrastructure in Japan.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:06 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,895,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From when I've seen of Canada, the more populated parts of Canada often have similar style highways as US interstates. In less populated areas, sometimes not. For example, with only one lane in each direction at times. You can't drive across Canada and only be on interstate-style highways. No, the Canadian gas tax isn't connected to road funding, it's just for the general budget.
The busiest freeways in North America are in Ontario. They make the freeway system in Southern California look like nothing.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:10 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,959,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From when I've seen of Canada, the more populated parts of Canada often have similar style highways as US interstates. In less populated areas, sometimes not. For example, with only one lane in each direction at times.
Exactly.

Countries like Canada and Australia, similar in size to the US, but with 1/10 to 1/15 the population don't have a need for an interstate system and would never be able to justify the expense. It's too sparsely populated for their to be traffic sufficient to necessitate a 4 lane road once you're ~2 hours outside of a larger metro.

Think about the distances between a place like Denver and Kansas City or SLC and how there's really nothing in between. Or better still, what's between SLC and Portland or Seattle. Imagine if the entire country was like that - with 10-20 hour drives between cities and the biggest cities were the size of Atlanta or Seattle. In the US the eastern half of the country is densely populated enough to be able to subsidize the interstate system in the plains/intermountain west. If there was no federal transportation mandate states like Nebraska and Wyoming wouldn't have interstate quality roads.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:47 AM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Exactly.

Countries like Canada and Australia, similar in size to the US, but with 1/10 to 1/15 the population don't have a need for an interstate system and would never be able to justify the expense. It's too sparsely populated for their to be traffic sufficient to necessitate a 4 lane road once you're ~2 hours outside of a larger metro.

Think about the distances between a place like Denver and Kansas City or SLC and how there's really nothing in between. Or better still, what's between SLC and Portland or Seattle. Imagine if the entire country was like that - with 10-20 hour drives between cities and the biggest cities were the size of Atlanta or Seattle. In the US the eastern half of the country is densely populated enough to be able to subsidize the interstate system in the plains/intermountain west. If there was no federal transportation mandate states like Nebraska and Wyoming wouldn't have interstate quality roads.
How do you think goods would get transported between the coasts? Have you ever driven I-80 through Nebraksa? It's full of trucks. At the east end of the state there's this city called Omaha, with an MSA of 800,000 people.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
How do you think goods would get transported between the coasts? Have you ever driven I-80 through Nebraksa? It's full of trucks. At the east end of the state there's this city called Omaha, with an MSA of 800,000 people.
Your highlight of my post and your follow up comes off as a non-sequitur. Sorry. I'm not sure what your point is.

If federal transportation $ wasn't redistributed around the country in the way that it is the only way a state like NE would have a road like I-80 would be as an expensive toll road. It would discourage local use and put even more of the burden on truckers.

Raising the cost of trucking (by not subsidizing it) would make rail more competitive for goods movement.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The busiest freeways in North America are in Ontario. They make the freeway system in Southern California look like nothing.
To be fair, the 401 there is both a sort of interstate highway with a local freeway running alongside of it. This is actually a pretty common setup in NJ and I've seen it around Chicago as well.

It's a set-up that's strangely lacking from CA freeways. You'll see lots of 5 and 6 lane freeways but there's not much in the way of local/express segregation outside of San Diego and a few short segments around LA.

I've never seen a better candidate for the express/local lanes than in in Oakland/Berkeley where 880 merges with 580 and 80, where there's an on-ramp every 3/4 of a mile, and where the road then splits again and 580 and 80 go their separate ways (880 technically ends where they all merge). It's ridiculous watching people trying to merge and cross 6 lanes of traffic to get to an exit.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 AM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Your highlight of my post and your follow up comes off as a non-sequitur. Sorry. I'm not sure what your point is.

If federal transportation $ wasn't redistributed around the country in the way that it is the only way a state like NE would have a road like I-80 would be as an expensive toll road. It would discourage local use and put even more of the burden on truckers.

Raising the cost of trucking (by not subsidizing it) would make rail more competitive for goods movement.
I'm not quite sure what you think is "non-sequitur" about what I said.

My point? A transcontinental highway system has to go across the continent. I'm almost certain now you've never driven I-80, at least in the western US. That road gets some heavy traffic.

This is not a thread about trucking vs rail. And to carry your argument to rail, why should there be rail across Nebraska?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or