U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:27 PM

756 posts, read 624,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
What are freeways like in big cities in other country's like such as shanghi, tel aviv, paris, dubai, rome, Tokyo etc. Usual amount of lanes? are they viaducts? Etc. Explain it thoroughly please thanks!
I am curious also. Just by looking at maps I see that the roads are usually 2 laned with no "Interstate" system. (except for places like Germany.) but when approaching urban areas the amount of lanes increases.

I think other nations use rail more often than road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,153,001 times

There are interstate-like highways all over Western Europe, not just in Germany.

A video from Ventimiglia (Italy) to Nice (France), as you will see there is no border check.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,316,782 times
I've driven on freeways (aka motorways, expressways, turnpikes, autobahns, autoroutes, etc.) in around 25 countries, and they're all remarkably similar. There's much more variety in the quality of the drivers, unfortunately.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:15 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,957,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Well, you don't know that the states wouldn't have built roads like that,
I didn't say that they wouldn't have. I said, like 3x already, that if they did they would have been toll roads because the small populations of those states wouldn't be able to support interstates and state highways through a gas tax alone. That's precisely the reason the federal gas tax gets redistributed in the first place.

Quote:
and as I showed, there have long been national roads in the US, so evidently it was more of a priority to the US than to Canada or Australia. From the link about US 40: "As with most routes whose numbers end in a zero, US 40 once traversed the entire United States. It is one of the original 1926 U.S. Highways, and its first termini were San Francisco, California, and Atlantic City, New Jersey."
US 40 is a federal road - built by the federal government. Hence the US designation. US 40 isn't an interstate. What makes freeway and interstate building expensive is the grade separation - all of the ramps and bridges.

Quote:
Then you brought up rail, which has long been heavily subsidized.
I don't know why you think this would damage my premise at all but you're exactly right. Cross-country rail had to be federally subsidized because it was politically desirable at the time but it wasn't economically feasible to do it without subsidies. The states couldn't afford it and the companies couldn't afford it.

In any case, while there were generous federal subsidies for railroad capital projects - most notably in the form of land grants - but those days are long gone. There are still some minor subsidies around for capital improvements but "heavily subsidized" is a bit of hyperbole and the operations of private RRs have long been on their own.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,957,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

There are interstate-like highways all over Western Europe, not just in Germany.

A video from Ventimiglia (Italy) to Nice (France), as you will see there is no border check.
I did a similar drive through Switzerland into France. Nice roads and pretty good drivers.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM

Paris

Old 03-24-2015, 05:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,008,719 times
That black car at 2:30 is wavering. Bunch of speeders afterward. Here's a New York City example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QLEvG_jo4w

Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 PM

It is less the case in busy urban freeways like in the Paris video but lane discipline is strictly enforced in France.
You need to stay on the left lane, except in case of heavy traffic or to overtake other vehicles.
It is forbidden to overtake using the left lane.
The distance between cars is also controlled.

You can be fined if you don't respect these rules.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,726,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? Haven't noticed any horrible ones in other countries. What was wrong with them?
Just narrow and bad interchanges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

That road is nice and has great pavement but that road would not be up to Interstate highway standards... very narrow right shoulder and pretty much no left shoulder.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,008,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That road is nice and has great pavement but that road would not be up to Interstate highway standards... very narrow right shoulder and pretty much no left shoulder.
I noticed the lack of shoulder, too. But I assume that's from the number of tunnels and hillsides it goes through, it's rather impressive terrain there. I posted a video above your post of an US interestate with no shoulder. The pavement is not so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or