Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 06:05 AM

998 posts, read 436,442 times

Advertisements

Some streets are one-way only. Are they better than two-way streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 06:24 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
converting to one way improves high volume flow on existing streets where there isn't space to add dedicated turn lanes. It also reduces the chance of accidents such as head on or from opposing traffic hitting turning vehicles.

Some delivery services have adopted 'No Left turn' policies in urban areas preferring their drivers to make 3 right turns instead because it is safer and overall faster than waiting to cross traffic.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
In downtown Redmond, WA they recently took two one-way streets and made them 2-way, the opposite. For us it seemed to be a big improvement. It seems most appropriate in big cities like Seattle where there are dedicated bus and bicycle lanes and steady flow of traffic until late evening.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Better for what?

Old 01-10-2020, 01:21 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I thought this thread was going to be about chili.

Oh, streets? Well ... One-way streets are a pain when you're trying to go around the block, and when you're trying to parallel park on the left side of the street. I still haven't got the hang of that. Otherwise, I prefer them when the streets are narrow. Fewer surprises.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:48 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Multilane one way streets encourage speeding.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Multilane one way streets encourage speeding.
This is why several of the multilane one ways that we had here have been converted to two-ways.

We have an alarmingly high number of car-pedestrian incidents on our multilane one ways and most of them are due to excess speed or people running red lights.

I have a multilane one way that I have to travel here once in a while and absolutely hate it; the people drive like they are on meth or something.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:41 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
This is why several of the multilane one ways that we had here have been converted to two-ways.

We have an alarmingly high number of car-pedestrian incidents on our multilane one ways and most of them are due to excess speed or people running red lights.

I have a multilane one way that I have to travel here once in a while and absolutely hate it; the people drive like they are on meth or something.
There's a one way couplet I'm familiar with that is like that in Poughkeepsie NY. Sure, let's kill all the urbanity with a freeway stroad. The 60s traffic engineers were on meth for sure

Old 01-13-2020, 11:37 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
I tend to think that one-way streets are more pedestrian friendly. As a pedestrian, you only have to worry about traffic coming from a single direction. A one-way street is often narrower than a two-way street, so it takes less time to cross it and it feels less like a barrier.

For traffic engineering, narrow one-way streets are better than wide two-way streets. Here's why. If you have two narrow streets intersecting (granted, this also applies to narrow two-way streets), the amount of green-light time doesn't have to be too long to enable pedestrian crossings as well as accommodate traffic volumes. But if you have a two-way street, the green phase may need to be longer to allow for protected left turns, which means that the cross street is stuck with a longer red phase. And if you have a wide two-way street, it will need to have a much longer green phase to accommodate the traffic volume. Yet, ironically, the smaller cross street will need to have a longer green phase than traffic volumes would warrant, simply to allow pedestrians enough time to cross the wider street.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
There's a one way couplet I'm familiar with that is like that in Poughkeepsie NY. Sure, let's kill all the urbanity with a freeway stroad. The 60s traffic engineers were on meth for sure
That was the craze for a while. The main advantage is it made synchronizing signals easier. It may have discouraged speeding since if you drove too fast you'd get there before the green. But businesses complained everyone was driving by and not stopping at their establishment. And many other objections, the trend was over. Back to the trash heap of urban planning trends, like Urban Renewal, the Superblock, Pedestrian malls and Edge Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning