Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Walkable neighborhoods and moderate density are not for "urban areas only." This should be a feature of most communities in a metro area, suburban or not. It is more pleasant when you can meet your needs easily in your neighborhood and not have to drive all the time.
We are certainly in agreement on that. And in point of fact, most suburbs in my area are "moderate density" in the sense that the houses are built on small lots; there's plenty of multi-family housing in the suburbs; there is usally a small strip mall that one can walk to from one's home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It depends upon your definition of what urban means.

Under some definitions, urban pretty much does mean walkable. So, for example, a town of barely 5,000 people isolated in the woods can be urban, at least in its business district.
Looks like a tourist trap to me! Maybe Beaver Falls should try that, after all, it's the home of Joe Namath. Jim Thorpe is touristy because of the athlete Jim Thorpe. I thought they changed their name back to Mauch Chunk?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Jim Thorpe is touristy because of the athlete Jim Thorpe. I thought they changed their name back to Mauch Chunk?
Jim Thorpe has a lot of other things in its favor besides just the name. It made a comeback several decades after being renamed. The level of architecture in and around Broadway is amazing for a town of its size. Plus the borough now has many outdoor recreation sites (paintball, white water rafting, etc) around its fringes. But it is essentially a tourist trap.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
More likely you will see single seniors moving out of their 3 bedroom/2 bath with a yard into small urban apartments.
Then the young families will move out of the small apartments and into the 3b/2b w/ yard.

It will all work out.

I read recently that if builders never built another 3b/2b family home, there is enough existing to take care of future need.
That is assuming two things, people will move to where the houses are and the empty nesters and singles will move out of the big family homes.
Why do you think that seniors are going to want to move into these tiny units unless they too poor to afford better, especially if they lived most of their lives in suburban settings? Being a senior citizen, I can tell you I have absolutely no desire to live in a single room masquerading as an apartment, especially in a crowded, noisy urban area filled with concrete and asphalt.

If I decide to sell my house, I'll move into a senior apartment complex where I can have a one or two bedroom apartment with a real kitchen, a patio or porch, in-unit laundry, and an elevator. They have a number of these, and they're in nice parts of town, including in some walkable areas, and many have community gardens, quiet landscaped grounds, buses for shopping excursions, etc among other amenities.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:35 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times
Quote:
We are certainly in agreement on that. And in point of fact, most suburbs in my area are "moderate density" in the sense that the houses are built on small lots; there's plenty of multi-family housing in the suburbs; there is usally a small strip mall that one can walk to from one's home.
Many suburbs are like this; the problem is, there is little to no infrastructure for anyone who wants to walk. The design of the area encourages driving and discourages walking, meaning you basically can only drive.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Amusing. So cities are actively looking for people who eat out a lot and carouse all night! I guess they really don't want families.
Sorry, what?

1. Why can't families occupy missing middle housing options?
2. Even if they didn't (and by no means is that true) why should cities provide only housing for certain kinds of families?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:30 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
The missing middle housing are often the cheapest per sf. Families need more space than singles so this would be important for them. In Toronto at least, high-rise condos are too expensive per sf for families but SFHs are too expensive for the middle class due to land costs in central areas of the city. They might also be more comfortable raising their kids in a building where they know all the residents (or are the only residents for row houses) than one with 500 residents.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's like 90% of the legacy housing stock in South Beach.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
More likely you will see single seniors moving out of their 3 bedroom/2 bath with a yard into small urban apartments.

I don't think many senior citizens want to move into the inner cities and deal with parking difficulties and crime and such, not unless its the only thing they can afford. Especially after living their whole lives in the suburbs.

You're right that it will work out, but old people like the peace and quiet, orderly communities like St. Barnabas in the Pittsburgh suburbs where my aunt lived.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There are two things to make this "middle" work: moderate density and a mix of uses in close proximity. The average new burb keeps stuff really separate. Or creates a non-gridded street pattern where you are close as the crow flies, but there is no actually way to get their without a car (no sidewalk! or worse).

This book is an awesome take on what it could look like!
Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time: Jeff Speck: 9780865477728: Amazon.com: Books

This book uses city quite loosely. Really it means stuff in easy walking distance!

I live in a walkable neighborhood, but many of my favorite places are in nearby areas, 2-3 miles away. Just far enough I don't want to use walking as my primary transportation mode. My city does a horrible job in terms of public transit connecting neighborhoods, so I'd drive to those close places. Bike infrastructure has improved a lot, so now I make those trips by bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning