Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,711,052 times

Advertisements

Shockingly, I have noticed this for more and more economically hurting cities. Rising house costs in CA and middle class and jobs dying have lead cities like Modesto, Lodi, and Stockton to have parts of the city which are bedroom communities to far off cities. Just recently I noticed this in a nearby city. The whole south side of the town has become a giant burb to a small city 50 minutes south. The desire to own a home has caused people to be willing to live that far from work to live in a more affordable community. The remaining industry in the nearby city is agriculture, medical, and some manufacturing firms that have been here since the 90s. These cities also tend to have higher water uses too.

We can't stop people from living that far from where they work, but I fear in the end it will mean higher gas prices and less water for us all to support ex-urbanism in dying cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 01:56 PM

21,658 posts, read 24,781,820 times
It's not shocking. It's completely normal as areas urbanize to swallow up what were formerly small rural towns and turn them into suburbs. The latest is more Lathrop and Manteca than Modesto which hasn't really in the last 20 years. Modesto largely remains a suburb of nothing whereas Tracy's growth has been as result of it being a bedroom for the Bay Area. Patterson is kind of interestingly suburbanizing due to the back route into San Jose and being in commute distance to Tracy. I know a few engineers who live out in Patterson. It's one of the best local rides and even during commute hours has little traffic. It's a long slow commute but much preferable to slogging through Fun80.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-03-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's not shocking. It's completely normal as areas urbanize to swallow up what were formerly small rural towns and turn them into suburbs. The latest is more Lathrop and Manteca than Modesto which hasn't really in the last 20 years. Modesto largely remains a suburb of nothing whereas Tracy's growth has been as result of it being a bedroom for the Bay Area. Patterson is kind of interestingly suburbanizing due to the back route into San Jose and being in commute distance to Tracy. I know a few engineers who live out in Patterson. It's one of the best local rides and even during commute hours has little traffic. It's a long slow commute but much preferable to slogging through Fun80.
This is all madness though. It's turning into the inland empire of NorCal. Eventually light rail will need to be built out there when gas prices rise too high like it is already getting built in Sonoma county.

I think SoCal gets away with less need for light rail in their suburban and ex-urban outskirts because urban centers are more spread out instead of being concentrated into one area. Ex: Warner Center, NoHo, Wilshire Blvd, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Long Beach, Riverside, Rancho Cucomonga, etc...

Where as in NorCal the jobs are still clustered together around San Jose, Oakland, and San Fran. I mean really Facebook moving to Menlo Park is not that far from it's original location.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:17 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,802,215 times
Stockton CA seems destined for that. The ACE train makes it almost bearable to commute to San Jose, there is affordable housing. Although only four round trips limits options.

Last edited by pvande55; 05-03-2015 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Correct number

Old 05-03-2015, 07:30 PM

There's no light rail being built in Sonoma County.

Jobs normally follow people. It's happened pretty much everywhere. Inland Empire is the second fastest job market behind San Jose. Roseville used to be a sleepy place during the day. Now it's busier during the day than at night. The 4% increase in daytime population is still small compared with Sacramento's 25% increase, but it's no longer a bedroom community and hasn't been for years. Same with Riverside. It's not a bedroom anymore. The jobs followed the people. DC Beltway is the same thing.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
There's no light rail being built in Sonoma County.

Jobs normally follow people. It's happened pretty much everywhere. Inland Empire is the second fastest job market behind San Jose. Roseville used to be a sleepy place during the day. Now it's busier during the day than at night. The 4% increase in daytime population is still small compared with Sacramento's 25% increase, but it's no longer a bedroom community and hasn't been for years. Same with Riverside. It's not a bedroom anymore. The jobs followed the people. DC Beltway is the same thing.
Then what do you call this:

Smart Train North Bay Sonoma Marin | SMART – Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit | Passenger train and multi-use pathway project

Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Stockton CA seems destined for that. The ACE train makes it almost bearable to commute to San Jose, there is affordable housing. Although only four round trips limits options.
Wow I didn't realize there is a rail that goes out there. It hits all of them-Lathrop/Manteca/Livermore.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:57 PM

I call it SMART like most people. But like I said, there's no light rail being built in Sonoma County.

ACE is pretty good. I've taken it a few times. It's a bit of a hike to the Downtown area of San Jose which I'm fine with. You can catch the light rail or buses but it's only about a mile's walk to most of downtown which is nice. I've usually got about 30-50 pounds of gear with me which makes it a little less fun than it would be otherwise.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I call it SMART like most people. But like I said, there's no light rail being built in Sonoma County.

ACE is pretty good. I've taken it a few times. It's a bit of a hike to the Downtown area of San Jose which I'm fine with. You can catch the light rail or buses but it's only about a mile's walk to most of downtown which is nice. I've usually got about 30-50 pounds of gear with me which makes it a little less fun than it would be otherwise.
Ugh, yeah not growing up around using commuter rail or getting up early to anticipate heavy traffic is a dread to me because I need alot of sleep and I like waking up as late as possible. However, I know people in college who were from the Bay Area who got used to getting up early to catch the rail and are used to it or I knew college people from LA who got up early to beat traffic or to prepare for the commute.

I guess it also comes down to do you want to rent, but be near work or buy an affordable home, but be further from work. Sometimes, if not paid enough and if rent is too high, the second option is the best option.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:23 AM

5,718 posts, read 5,949,344 times
According to the 2011 household survey, Kitchener, ON has 98,000 employed residents but only 81,000 jobs. This is due to net out commuting to Waterloo especially, but also Guelph and Cambridge, and to a lesser extent other communities.

Hamilton also has net out-commuting, with 178,000 jobs and 201,000 employed residents. Net out-commuting is mostly to Burlington, and to a lesser extent other GTA communities.

Both Hamilton and Kitchener are not what would generally be thought of as suburbs and have more substantial downtowns than the places they have net out-commuting to. However, they do have a fair bit of residential neighbourhoods, including post-war style and new ones. If the city limits only included the pre-WWII developed area it might not have net out-commuting. Hamilton and Kitchener have both had relatively low job growth with globalization and automation of industry, I wouldn't be surprised if they were more industrialized than most Rust Belt cities in the 60s. Burlington, Cambridge, Waterloo and Guelph all have substantial office/light industrial parks drawing in commuters, as well as major universities in Guelph and Waterloo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning