Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,771,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yes, five cities is at build out with the only remaining land agriculture within each city's limits.

I've noticed getting multi-family residential and higher density approved is extremely hard because people complain it will block out their view. This is the only type of residential land left zoned in our coastal cities.
I will say that I have noticed a lot more multifamily going in around Santa Maria near Allan Hancock College and the north side of town. Santa Maria, like most western cities, is surprisingly dense for how suburban its form is - there are several census tracts well into the 10-15k ppsm range, and probably are getting denser because the city is certainly not getting any smaller in population.

No surprise that it is hard to get multifamily in the beach cities. It's that way with nearly any coastal city. Even in LA, Santa Monica recently passed an ordinance banning new structures over 5 stories tall (that place makes me pretty proud to live in LA's other prominent satellite city, Pasadena, who has what seems to be a very reasonable urbanizing plan in place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 PM

88,056 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Every direction? When land runs out high rises are often built. But I've never seen a building go more than three stories below street level.
Well, there was the World Trade Center.

Six stories down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning