Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 04:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times

Advertisements

I recently thought of an idea for multi-level pedestrian walkway as part of an urban development, but I'm not sure if it could actually be constructed in reality. I'm hoping more experienced urban planners and architectural enthusiasts would have a better idea...

Basically I imagine a high rise urban building with let's say 15 stories. The first 5 stories are retail, the upper level is office/housing.

My thought was that at street level there would be shops built to the city's sidewalk. Nothing out of the ordinary, pretty much your typical urban storefronts.

For the remaining 4 upper levels however, I imagined some sort of ramp, a gentle gradient as wide as the sidewalk, that would be built into the building's facade and level off into to an elevated walkway, I guess it would technically be a balcony of some sort, that would have additional shops built to it.

This would go on, wrapping around the outside of the building for the remainder of the public space. I'm visualizing a slight rising slope to get to the next story, where it would then level off to accommodate retail entrances, outdoor seating etc. and begin to rise again as you walk further around, leading you to the next level of shops and restaurants. This would go on for the remaining retail floors up to a certain point and ultimately lead to some kind of rooftop space, I suppose.

This is nothing more than an idea for a unique pedestrian experience that could enhance the walkability and access to tall, dense, mixed use buildings. I have no idea if it would even be feasible or if it could even be constructed as I described. If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Interesting, but what you're describing sounds like nothing more than an urban shopping mall, which many cities have, except it's a better use of space to have the pedestrian walkways at the center of the building.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Interesting, but what you're describing sounds like nothing more than an urban shopping mall, which many cities have, except it's a better use of space to have the pedestrian walkways at the center of the building.
True, it would be similar to an urban shopping mall, only inside out. Yes, typically shopping malls are covered, indoor facilities with amenities on the outer edge while the pedestrian walkway is at the center. In my model however, the walkways would be entirely outdoors, wrapping around the building to provide access to the shops, housed at the center, which are inside of the building. Essentially, it would bring the experience of the pedestrian from the sidewalk upwards, multiple stories, to create the feeling of a dense urban street layered on top of several other urban streets.

I guess what I'm imagining is your perspective at the street level would be the same on the 4th floor, and so on. You would still have the sidewalk, curbside amenities, retail signage, public art and everything else, only instead of facing the street itself, you would be facing a railing overlooking the street by 30+ feet.

Perhaps now that I think about it, this would not be as ideal as the average indoor mall. I just thought it was an interesting concept that could be done in a unique way.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Escher+ sidewalk = ???

Old 06-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The skybridge is common, some multi-level, but other than a few large shopping malls and Class A office buildings, they are not very affordable. In addition to the cost to construct, many cities (such as Seattle) charge a street use permit fee annually, because it goes over their street or sidewalk. The typical fee is $30,000/year.

Macy’s rethinks downtown Seattle skybridge as fee soars | The Seattle Times

Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Escher+ sidewalk = ???
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The skybridge is common, some multi-level, but other than a few large shopping malls and Class A office buildings, they are not very affordable. In addition to the cost to construct, many cities (such as Seattle) charge a street use permit fee annually, because it goes over their street or sidewalk. The typical fee is $30,000/year.

Macy’s rethinks downtown Seattle skybridge as fee soars | The Seattle Times
Not quite a skyway either, although in the same family. This image from a small portion of the system in Minneapolis is fairly similar to what I had in mind

https://slubsinthecity.files.wordpre.../07/skyway.jpg

I drew up this simple diagram in MS Paint to get a better idea of what I was thinking of. Obviously in a 3D world, it wouldn't appear too much like this, and the rising portion of the walkway that leads up to the higher stories obviously wouldn't overlap the entrances to retail shops. In reality I'm thinking they would be hidden towards the back of the building with the flat parts at the front, but the basic concept is there.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Does it snow in this imaginary city ? Does it get below the freezing point ?

How would you solve that problem ? You will notice that I am a Canadian.... It was my very first thought.

Jim B.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
What you described is quite common in many shopping districts in Hong Kong, and in other east asian cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning