Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 05:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Honestly it is cheaper to live in Manhattan than it is to live in the Bay Area these days. And that is not an exaggeration! It is literally cheaper to get a one bedroom in Manhattan than Oakland right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 12:44 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
Transit in Philadelphia is good. Many commuter rail lines, two rapid transit lines, streetcars and TONS of buses.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Trust me, Boston's train system is not "great." Unless you consider taking 1 hour to travel 6 miles "great." That's at least how my public transit commute would be- on a bike, same trip takes me 30 minutes. Luckily, in my neighborhood (Brighton Center), I can easily walk everywhere.
I lived car free in Boston. I would agree that the train system is not "great" but it is better than almost any other US city. I lived at Cleveland Circle, which is more transit-adjacent than Brighton Center but still took me about an hour to get downtown. Overall transportation is better-than-average there, and I think having a bike would have been huge for me.

Believe it or not, there are a couple of areas in Los Angeles which having a car is completely optional (though unlike NYC there are no areas which it is downright uncomfortable to have one). I think the place I currently live, Pasadena (a mid-size city about 10 miles from DTLA) is a great example of one such place. I live near the intersection of Lake and Colorado Blvd and within a mile radius is just about everything and anything one would need for day-to-day life.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:42 PM

401 posts, read 649,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Honestly it is cheaper to live in Manhattan than it is to live in the Bay Area these days. And that is not an exaggeration! It is literally cheaper to get a one bedroom in Manhattan than Oakland right now.
I very much doubt it, maybe bad parts of uptown, or some not so great neighborhoods like alphabet city compared to nice areas of Oakland, but overall I'm pretty sure Manhattan is much more expensive.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I lived car free in Boston. I would agree that the train system is not "great" but it is better than almost any other US city. I lived at Cleveland Circle, which is more transit-adjacent than Brighton Center but still took me about an hour to get downtown. Overall transportation is better-than-average there, and I think having a bike would have been huge for me.
I loved the train system in Boston when I was there on vacation last year. I stayed @ a hotel outside the downtown area but could walk to the train. Using this, I could easily get to: museums, downtown, the beach, etc. If I lived in Boston & moved to the right neighborhood, I could easily see not having a car.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,547 times
We are a family with children living in Somerville MA and we rarely drive except on weekends to head out of town. You really need to plan your life around a car-free life. Buy or rent near all of the basic amenities and needs - train station, groceries, pharmacy, restaurants, entertainment, schools, parks, doctors office, dentist, etc. With a family, we have a cargo bike (its called a Big Dummy) that carries 2 kids and goes a long way in reducing the need for a car when venturing beyond walkable distances but still within 1-3 miles. Once you get it all dialed in, its awesome and totally worth it. Life feels less like a rat race when you never deal with traffic and your commute is under 15 minutes!

Old 09-13-2015, 02:29 PM

82 posts, read 88,371 times
The last year I lived in Nashville, I lived in the West End neighborhood which is one of few walkable neighborhoods in the city. The bank, several restaurants, light groceries, liquor, and gas were all within walking distance but for other things, getting in the car was necessary. There were dentists and doctors in the neighborhood but I was unfamiliar with them. If I did not have my own parking spot in the neighborhood, it would have gotten annoying quickly.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
I live in South Philly and am thrilled to not own a car. Around here, it would be a major hassle. And while we have limited rail rapid transit (only three subway lines), we have amazing bus, trolley and commuter rail options that make getting around easily more extensive. And that's not considering walkability or biking.

But Philly is like any city, in that there are places within the city that are not conducive to car-free living.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 09-14-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 09:44 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
I live in Minneapolis and I don't have a car. It takes me less than 10 minutes to bike to work. I have a small independent grocery store less than a block from my apartment, a CVS 5 minutes away, and two larger grocery stores and a Target within a 20-minute walk. There's a park right outside my front door, a ton of families and dogs in the neighborhood, and a great independent coffee shop on my block. I can walk downtown, I can walk to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, I can walk to Eat Street. There are 4 major bus lines within 2 blocks of my building and the both LRT lines are within 10 minutes by bike. My rent is almost exactly 30% of my income (and my income is not very much) and my building is secure. It's the best living situation I've ever had.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:29 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's definitely not true. Manhattan is much more expensive than SF, to say nothing of Oakland. And apartments are smaller, come with less amenities and have higher broker fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning