Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:39 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Kaaboom, that's what I thought. The comfy looking seats looked like they were for the express/longer distance suburban/interurban trains.
When I was in Tokyo I noticed that most of the suburban lines had rapid express trains with reserve seating, like that. They are expensive though, so the vast majority of ordinary people just ride the regular trains with the side facing seating. Even those are plenty comfortable though, if you can get a seat. I rode that Narita Express train to the airport. I think the fare cost me about $35, and that was 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 11:49 AM

Shanghai Maglev Train - World's Fastest Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFvntsbGP_Q

Old 07-11-2015, 12:04 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Shanghai Maglev Train - World's Fastest Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFvntsbGP_Q
I just love those 350 kmph bullets.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:44 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Beautiful trains, everyone! Keep on posting them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
ALP45DP dual mode trains with comet 5's. Very Sexy .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzgz2NCO9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfTLmg4l9Qo

Love the acceleration and have seen them touch 90 mph on the AC line.
It has been argued that SEPTA should have jumped on the dual mode order with NJT since we have an electrified network with non-electrified inactive sections. If they were purchased, connections to Newtown, New Hope, Pottstown/Reading/Wyomissing, Quakertown/Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, and Kennett Square/Oxford would all be possible.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I just love those 350 kmph bullets.
Actually 431 km/h (501 km/h record speed).

This is the type of train that should serve airports here in the US. If a city like Denver had the vision to use a Maglev Train for their Airport service, it could get people from the City Center to the Airport in less then 10 minutes. Instead they are going to open that line next year with some slow cheap rattle trap Korean made train that is going to stop every mile and take an hour to get to the airport. And they wonder why no one uses public transit in the US.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:52 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,307,967 times
On this Wikipedia article about Electric Multiple Unit trains, there is a nice collection of photos of EMU trains from various countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_multiple_unit

The Chinese CHR3 looks interesting, although I'm not too sure about the front row seats of the driver's compartment:

Old 07-12-2015, 03:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
RailPictures.Net Photo: NMRX 106 New Mexico Railrunner Express MPI MP36PH-3S at Waldo, New Mexico by James E. House
New Mexico Railrunner. Runs between Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Belen.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:04 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Beautiful trains, everyone! Keep on posting them!

It has been argued that SEPTA should have jumped on the dual mode order with NJT since we have an electrified network with non-electrified inactive sections. If they were purchased, connections to Newtown, New Hope, Pottstown/Reading/Wyomissing, Quakertown/Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, and Kennett Square/Oxford would all be possible.
The reading line would be the most beneficial. Its sad to see that the birthplace of RR as we know it in the NE has no train service to its nearest metro area .

Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
The reading line would be the most beneficial. Its sad to see that the birthplace of RR as we know it in the NE has no train service to its nearest metro area .
And it's a property on the Monopoly board! Perhaps battery electric locomotives will someday enable short extensions of electric lines without having to erect catenary.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
On this Wikipedia article about Electric Multiple Unit trains, there is a nice collection of photos of EMU trains from various countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_multiple_unit

The Chinese CHR3 looks interesting, although I'm not too sure about the front row seats of the driver's compartment:

That looks nicer then first class air travel in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning