Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,666,690 times

Advertisements

State laws vary but in Colorado developers are using at least three different forms to enforce rules.
HOAs have been used the longest but require the homeowners to enforce the rules against their neighbors and the rules can be changed by a vote of the property owners.
Metro Districts are typically put in place to finance infrastructure but have recently been used to enforce
age restrictions (55+) and income affordability restrictions.
Deed Restrictions can be used and would typically be enforced by the original developer. I am aware of a commercial property that can never have a liquor store on it because of a deed restriction placed on it by a seller 20 years ago.

Almost every real estate property sold is sold with restrictions of what can be done with it and what cannot be done with it. I can not put an oil refinery on my single family residential city lot, but that is ok, because I knew about the restriction when I bought it.

I like the idea and think it could be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 06:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,051,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growrow View Post
Thanks stburr91. The hostility to the idea was not unexpected and serves to remind me why an exclusive development like this is needed. But there have been some good ideas posted. I have not decided yet whether to go this route, pending more research.

As I stated in an earlier post, the likelihood of fewer potential buyers might be compensated for by the greater motivation for such properties by the minority that would prefer to live in a dog-free neighborhood. The purpose of the original question was to see if anyone knew of a similar venture. Being the first and only one to do this in the US could be a plus, but until someone does it, we won't know.

I will continue to update, and appreciate any other constructive comments by City-Data.com members.
I agree with you that there could be a demand for this kind of housing development. I have a strict no pets policy in my rentals to cater to those that don't want to deal with the issues of pets, and I have no problem filling my units.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,942,066 times
What it boils down to is whether the OP/someone has the money or experience needed to create a development of any kind.

I would like to live in a development with people as 'wonderful' as I am, but I could never put it together.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:26 PM

389 posts, read 327,520 times
Would be nice to be able to walk around the block without someone's 60 lb dog running out to the sidewalk growling, snarling, and barking in a generally threatening manner.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,606,374 times
It's too bad many dog owners behave in a manner that causes former dog likers to look favorably on more restrictions against dogs, and with higher penalties.

You do understand why postal workers in particular would love to not have biters living near them, don't you?

Old 09-09-2016, 11:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,606,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
It's not clear what is motivating the anti-dog objective. Do these folks have a fear of dogs?
The funny thing is they won't be able to exclude all dogs from the subdivision regardless of what they try to force via restrictive covenants. In addition, to the extent they are enforceable they are only enforceable against people owning property in the subdivision. So if the concern is noise, they can't prevent folks outside of the subdivision from owning dogs. That's right, you can open a boarding and grooming kennel right next door. If you are in a hilly area, you don't have to be "next door" to hear animals - the sound can carry over long distances in hilly areas. Seems moot if the issue is noise considering that coyotes don't care about the restrictive covenants....
Coyotes do not have owners. Often, the dogs themselves are not the real problem; it is their owners.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:20 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,336,599 times
i have seen cases of HOA putting liens on people houses and selling them for not abiding by property hoa rules, and it was legal

Old 09-12-2016, 01:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,156 posts, read 80,258,802 times
I don't know that this proposal would solve the problem completely. Once completed, a new subdivision has the utilities, streets, sidewalks and some portion of the owner properties dedicated to them for ongoing maintenance, justifying part of the property taxes. That means anyone can walk their dog on the sidewalks of your pet-free development. I suspect that some of the more hardcore, almost militant dog people would, upon finding out about your development, would encourage dog walking there just to express their outrage at such a place existing.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:46 AM

103 posts, read 95,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growrow View Post
I'm considering establishing a dog-free residential subdivision. Does anyone know if there are any others in the USA? I know there are condos with pet restrictions, but have not found any residential neighborhoods with this. If there are, I'd like to learn of their experiences.

I would appreciate replies that address the question. I am fully aware that there are many (a majority) that "would never live in such a neighborhood," either because of the dog restriction, or because there are any restrictions at all. I am not trying to appeal to people with that outlook, but rather to a highly motivated minority. Also, please do not ask why I would want to do this (you already know) or ask "don't you like dogs?" etc. etc. That is not the question being posed.
I highly doubt it's legal to ban dogs from an entire subdivision. In my city it's not even legal to ban dogs from an individual apartment/condo building. Your lease can be written to say no dogs allowed, but it can't be enforced because it's not legal.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:47 AM

103 posts, read 95,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
However... in a city core, you can find pet-free buildings
It's illegal in my city to ban pets from a building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning