Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,318 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am looking to apply to a Masters program in Urban Planning. I'm interested in either environmental planning or land use planning. But I am worried because I don't have the educational background or experience in the field. I received my BS in Recreation and Tourism with a business minor and a few courses in Sustainability.

Do Recreation/Tourism and Planning compliment each other? How so?
What is a good way to break into the field and gain some knowledge? I've been thinking of contacting a local (ATL) planning agency and asking if I can chat with or shadow one of their planners.

Also, what is the current outlook of the planning field as far as job availability and pay? Is it a career path worth pursuing? I would rather be able to secure a job upon graduating. I have found some mixed opinions.

I have always found planning to be quite interesting and think it would be a good fit for me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
I wouldn't worry about having a seemingly-unrelated degree. Many planners come into the field from other studies/careers, and you may be surprised to learn how your previous experience/studies provide you with relevant skills and experience. I'm sure there are plenty of good cases to be made about ways in which recreation/tourism and planning are related. In fact, agencies such as the National Parks Service, among others, employ planners.

Job availability and pay really depend on where you want your career to go. Generally there is more money in consulting than working for a public agency. Still, you're not going to get rich as a planner. Most starting salaries I see for planners with a Masters degree range from the upper 40s to upper 50s.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:10 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,527 times
I work in planning, without my masters (for now). The majority of planners have their masters - it opens doors and gets your resume reviewed. I'd say it's almost a necessity if you want to work in planning - more so if you want to move into a senior planner or director position.

Job availability is slim right now, but steadily improving. Here in Arizona, cities are gradually starting to hire, again - after a decade long absence of jobs. Pay is alright, solidly middle-income, unless you end up working for one of the major cities. People in this field do it because they love it, not because they're going to get rich.

One thing, though: If you want a job, get an internship. Most agencies won't even consider you without some prior internship experience. Landing the first one is the hardest, but it gets easier from there.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Solid advice, OP needs to understand some REALLY important points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
I work in planning, without my masters (for now). The majority of planners have their masters - it opens doors and gets your resume reviewed. I'd say it's almost a necessity if you want to work in planning - more so if you want to move into a senior planner or director position.

Job availability is slim right now, but steadily improving. Here in Arizona, cities are gradually starting to hire, again - after a decade long absence of jobs. Pay is alright, solidly middle-income, unless you end up working for one of the major cities. People in this field do it because they love it, not because they're going to get rich.

One thing, though: If you want a job, get an internship. Most agencies won't even consider you without some prior internship experience. Landing the first one is the hardest, but it gets easier from there.

If the OP takes the time to connect to LOCAL MUNICIPALITIES before they enroll in any MS program they'll get valuable feedback as to which school is considered the one most likely to lead to a decent job. That contact will also help to lay the groundwork for an internship.

It does not make sense to think about doing course like this online because this is one of the career fields that is still 90% about having the a good network -- the most well regarded professors keep in touch with the senior planners in the counties, cities, and towns that do the most hiring. It is way to be sure that the courses deal with relevant issues too -- if you are in Colorado there issues with managing things like seasonal ski resorts / time share condos that you'd never have to deal in Chicago or Southern California...

There are similarly issues with "flood control" in areas that get heavy rains that areas that are arid will never face.

While it is smart to want to "shadow" somebody in that works in a planning department, if they don't have any likely openings now or in the timeframe that you'd complete your MS it does not make as much sense as trying to make contacts in a more growth oriented area.

I would be cautious about thinking too much about the value of tourism / recreation degree. There might be some overlap, mostly in just the budgeting and culture, but working for a Park District or Tourism Board is frankly not as "meaty" as working in planning & zoning -- many municipalities depend on the revenue (both from the fees, which are large projects can be considerable, but also on the on going tax streams) that well planned commercial and residential projects generate for the operation of their government.

The good MS programs help develop the skills needed to understand how the revenue aspects of the position fit into the framework of planning. Ideally they'll also help develop an understanding of the legal aspects of the role -- folks that don't understand the laws / regulations end up with zoning applications going to court. That costs towns money and can lead to a short career for the staff...

The employment prospects for folks that specialize in "environmental planning" are both harder to come by and more varied. If you have a background in horticultural you could provide guidance on what sorts of landscape materials and design are best for water conservation, reducing fire risk and improving water quality by reducing run off. If you have have background in areas like biology and the environmental planning you might find a job with a firm that specializes in wetlands preservation. These are NOT easy to come by and the internship is key!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Look up the job descriptions and requirements for planning, economic/community development, and related openings to get an idea. There are many of them on the job postings for public agencies, for example:
Attached Thumbnails
Is a MS in planning worth pursuing? HELP!!-job1.jpg   Is a MS in planning worth pursuing? HELP!!-job2.jpg   Is a MS in planning worth pursuing? HELP!!-job3.jpg  

Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,814 times
Back when I started working for an MPO most recruits with little/no experience started as a Planner 1 with just a Bachelor's and Planner 2 with a Master's. The difference in pay would probably be 7-10K between the two.

Now it seems most new hires have a Master's but then again this area has above average educational attainment which probably plays a role.

I don't know of anybody in the planning field with a tourism/rec degree and not sure if it would make the list of "related disciplines."

Old 11-09-2015, 08:50 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,652 times
Land use planning....you will likely be working for a municipality as a project planner, or for a developer getting things ready for development.

I prefer environmental planning. You can work for a municipality as a long-range planner, or for a state or federal agency as a natural resources planner, environmental planner, environmental scientist, etc or as a consultant, or for a non-profit.

I got my BA in Geography and couldn't get a job except as a teacher. Once I got my MA, lots of doors opened.

I think that your Rec/Tourism BA and a Planning MA is a great fit. Look for jobs in environmental planning, or for a county etc in economic development for tourism.

Best wishes!!

Old 11-10-2015, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
It is a great advantage if you have a planning background as it'll save you time from background lengthy readings. However, background is not necessary as many people did succeed without experience and now working. But be prepared for lot of readings related to background before actual subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning