Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:26 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't know if it's because of the rainbow and light spectrum, (sort of like an alphabetical order for colors) but when color is talked about, red just seems to be first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RYB_color_model
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

I think transit agencies also stay with easily distinguishable colors, so blue, green, and yellow/gold are often next. But, in Cleveland, where there was already a red, blue, and green line, their new BRT line was made silver, instead of yellow/gold. So, who knows?
Not for those who are color blind. Red/Green difficulties are some of the most common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 01:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Red attracts attention. So it makes sense when a new line is built to color it red to stand out. Just like your teachers did when grading papers. The color red appears rarely in nature, which is why red is used for "stop."

Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
It seems that when cities start to color code rail lines after expanding their rail systems, usually the original line gets designated as the Red Line.

I wonder for what reason. Usually the four most common colors for rail lines are Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow, however, of those four colors, what is the reason why the original line is usually Red?
It’s not. Usually they start with blue. Because that’s the most popular color. Some times yellow and green even come before red. Toronto doesn’t even have a red line.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Portland is ~15% Asian and there is a Yellow Line, which completely avoids all known concentrations of Asians.

The Yellow Line was recently extended and the new part is called the Orange Line.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:22 AM

769 posts, read 829,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Atlanta Area Subway system - Marta - had to rename the Yellow line when they gave them colors few years back. Yellow line became the Gold Line.

Seems no one thought it would be offensive to have the subway train that run to the Asian area called Yellow line. ... Opps ...
That's ridiculous. But it's probably also why there is no "black line". Can you imagine the stereotypes and stigma associated with that?

Also, for a long time, the worst (most ghetto) line in the DC Metro was the Green line. It's kind of gentrified, but still. Of course most of the DC Metro goes through some bad areas except the Orange line OUTSIDE of DC Limits and the Red Line OUTSIDE of DC to Rockville

Old 01-11-2016, 06:52 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
That's ridiculous. But it's probably also why there is no "black line". Can you imagine the stereotypes and stigma associated with that?

Also, for a long time, the worst (most ghetto) line in the DC Metro was the Green line. It's kind of gentrified, but still. Of course most of the DC Metro goes through some bad areas except the Orange line OUTSIDE of DC Limits and the Red Line OUTSIDE of DC to Rockville
I know the way Boston color coded it was
Red-ends at Harvard (Crimson)
Orange- used to run under orange street
Blue- under the harbor
Green- along the emerald necklace.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:44 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post

If you have seen my past threads both in this forum and in the Phoenix forum, I would admit that there is nothing wrong with rail line colors being politically correct. My dream system of light rail and streetcar lines for the Phoenix area are color-coded with that in mind - the Brown Line is routed intentionally through an area with a lower Hispanic population (Scottsdale), the Pink Line is routed through an area that is mostly politically conservative (Chandler/Gilbert/East Mesa) which means a likely lower than average gay population, and my system has a Gold Line instead of a Yellow Line as with MARTA in Atlanta.

I actually didn't want to bring up the issue of politically correct rail line colors in this thread due to some users not liking the idea as in my past threads about the issue, but apparently someone brought it up.

Interestingly, Chicago's Yellow Line serves Skokie, which has a fairly significant (though not majority) Asian population. Otherwise Chicago's rail line colors seem to be fairly politically correct, since the Brown Line serves mostly white neighborhoods and neither of Chicago's two gay districts are along the Pink Line.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Orange isn't usually one of the colors that gets assigned early; usually after Red the next color that gets assigned is Blue, followed by either Green or Yellow. Indigo is almost never used, and Purple is generally used instead of Violet.

Philly is Orange and Blue first

Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Albuquerque was red first with the Rapid Ride buses. Also, if the Phoenix area light rail lines get color coded, I wouldn't be surprised to see the current line be designated as the Red Line, since prior to the construction of the light rail, there was a bus route known as the Red Line that served almost the same corridor.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes but the PATCO line from New Jersey is shown in red on the maps.

My guess about the OP's question is that red shows up most distinctly on most maps, so the planners for each system picked red for what they thought was the most important line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning