Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,709,419 times

Advertisements

What does Macy's pay today? Do they even have alot of full-time positions? It seems like Macy's isn't known as the best place to work anymore from what I heard from people. I heard Nordstrom's is the new Macy's by customer service and treating employees right. Honestly, I think Macy's has destroyed alot of smaller local department stores. Macy's states that every store has their own "My Macy's" but a Macy's is a Macy's. Honestly I'd be happy if Dillards had a larger share in the department store market or better yet if local department stores came back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM

5,102 posts, read 6,016,041 times
Local stores aren't coming back. Not department stores, drug stores, grocery stores, or book stores. Even large chain stores like Macys is in a fight with Internet stores. Modern transportation systems that allow one or two day delivery almost anywhere allow the centralization and economy of scale.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:02 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,709,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Local stores aren't coming back. Not department stores, drug stores, grocery stores, or book stores. Even large chain stores like Macys is in a fight with Internet stores. Modern transportation systems that allow one or two day delivery almost anywhere allow the centralization and economy of scale.
It'd be nice to see more Dillards or other department stores expand.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
If I had some extra bandwidth, I'd love to do this in my city! With locally made stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/bu...ent-store.html

Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,186 times
Quote:
Grocery stores and drug stores seem to be doing just fine, for the time being. Department stores and book stores I agree with. They will completely disappear in the next 20 years, and I don’t see anything that could possibly save them.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,718,012 times
Macy's is just another mall store now--definitely not your grandmother's Macy's.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,016,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Grocery stores and drug stores seem to be doing just fine, for the time being. Department stores and book stores I agree with. They will completely disappear in the next 20 years, and I don’t see anything that could possibly save them.
At least here in the Mid Atlantic Region Grocery Stores and Drug stores are NOT doing fine. Walmart has targeted the Grocery business. Many locally owned chains closed or sold out years ago Now it is the National or Multi-National chains fighting it out. Costco and Sams Club are fighting for the bulk grocery business. On top of that Amazon is getting into the grocery business!

Drug Stores are fighting the mail order pharmacies that many health plans are pushing based on cost. Narcotics are the one market that local brick & mortar pharmacies have a corner on and that market is one that many would like to get rid of. Besides the quotas that limit how much the store can actually receive, the paperwork required, the potential fines and other penalties if you screw up, and the crap you have to take from potential 'customers' who don't understand that you can't bend the rules for them you have the danger to staff from criminals.

I do not believe grocery stores or Pharmacies have any better future than Department Stores.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 PM

2,733 posts, read 4,132,453 times
Where I live I have easy access to at least 7 malls and two huge Ikea stores. If I drive a little further there are many other malls.

I don't think department store shopping will ever completely go away. I need to try on clothes and shoes. I cannot buy them online, because they most likely will not fit, and returning stuff bought online is a real pain. Also, trying clothes on is fun! I can happily while away an afternoon trying on clothes.

I also believe used bookstores will be around for quite awhile, and I am someone with hundreds of books on my beloved Kindle. Whether stores like Barnes & Noble will still exist is a troubling question.

Oh, and the grocery stores around here -- particularly ShopRite -- are packed during weekends, before holidays, and before major storms. We need the break, milk, and eggs!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
Quote:
At least here in the Mid Atlantic Region Grocery Stores and Drug stores are NOT doing fine. Walmart has targeted the Grocery business. Many locally owned chains closed or sold out years ago Now it is the National or Multi-National chains fighting it out. Costco and Sams Club are fighting for the bulk grocery business. On top of that Amazon is getting into the grocery business!

Drug Stores are fighting the mail order pharmacies that many health plans are pushing based on cost. Narcotics are the one market that local brick & mortar pharmacies have a corner on and that market is one that many would like to get rid of. Besides the quotas that limit how much the store can actually receive, the paperwork required, the potential fines and other penalties if you screw up, and the crap you have to take from potential 'customers' who don't understand that you can't bend the rules for them you have the danger to staff from criminals.

I do not believe grocery stores or Pharmacies have any better future than Department Stores.
Less than a year after the opening of a nearby Walmart Supercenter, the local Albertson's supermarket in Monrow, WA changed to Haggen, which failed to thrive, and shut down. Now the loss of the anchor is causing the other smaller businesses to go belly up. There is no evidence of a causal relationship with the Walmart, the fault probably goes to Haggen, but it demonstrates the effect of losing a major supermarket. Walmart is more often stand-alone, not anchoring a strip mall.

Grocery store closures affect community businesses

Old 02-03-2016, 01:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,099,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't see clothing stores going away. I occasionally buy clothes online, but it has to be a brand I already know. It's rare for me. I need to try things on, and I don't want to buy several items, wait for delivery, try them on, then send things back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning