Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:07 PM

97 posts, read 58,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414-514 View Post
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I came across this 'map' the other day, which is meant to be a map of every city based on stereotypes associated with different neighborhoods. I found it really amusing! Here's the article...

And here's the map:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZa0thbWEAAnZpx.jpg

So I'm curious, do these stereotypes fit cities your familiar with? Obviously it's not meant to be taken too seriously. For example, this city has a river and describes neighborhoods "north of the river" and "south of the river". Not all cities have rivers, but most have crosstown rivalries! What do you think?
Lol I guess one could say this (sorta) for NYC.

1) Downtown = Downtown or Midtown really
2) Area that used to be cool = I couldn't really think of anything for this one off the top of my head. Will keep y'all posted
3) Area that tourists love but locals hate = Times Square. Too easy.
4) Former Industrial Area = Meatpacking/Chelsea/Hell's Kitchen, although apartments there are not cheap. In terms of cheap, you'd have to head across the river to Bk or Queens.
5) Really bad traffic = Let's be honest, everywhere
6) Ugly Bridge = In my opinion, it's gotta be the Queensboro. That **** UGLY
7) Iconic Bridge = Brooklyn Bridge, obviously
8) Area that describes other side of the river as ***** = UWS probably
9) Cool area that your parents would've avoided in the 90's = Harlem or anywhere north of 110th
10)Ethnic neighborhood that white people go for food = Chinatown/Little Italy
11)Area that friends who want to buy a house move to = UES for townhouses or brownstones.
12)Amazing park that's just a tad too far= Morningside
13)Area you only bother going because there's IKEA = That IKEA in Red Hook.
14)That Area that friends move to that you never catch up = The entirety of SI. Nice place but so far
15)Area With really nice park but no bars= Latourette Park in SI.
16) Area that describes other side as hipsters = Everyone describing DUMBO? IDK lol
17)Area with massive failed development = Bronx Point (I guess?)
18) Area with massive shopping center w/ apple store= Really there are apple stores everywhere in NYC, but the iconic one is one 5th ave

As you can see a lot of these don't match perfectly, but I gave it my best shot lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 06:11 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,953,570 times
BALTIMORE

1. The city/downtown. Lots of people in suits: Roughly the southeastern quarter of downtown, along with parts of Harbor East. The westside (especially the NW corner) has poor vibrancy for a city Baltimore's size. The SW and NE portions are mixed, but isn't exactly the stereotypical "downtown" image.
2. The area that used to be cool but is now full of **** bars + drunks: Fells Point
3. The area that tourists love but locals hate: Inner Harbor
4. Former industrial area, now cheap apartments with no soul: Industrial parts of Canton, and a lot of the new ones aren't cheap
5. Road renown for having having really bad traffic. I hate this road: I-695 (The Beltway)
6. Ugly bridge everyone hates: Jones Falls Expressway viaduct
7. Iconic bridge everyone loves: Francis Scott Key Bridge
8. The area that describes south of the river as “*****”: Mount Vernon/Bolton Hill
9. Cool area that your parents would have avoided in the 80s: Federal Hill
10. Ethnic neighborhood where white people go for the best food: Little Italy (there's even some non-Italian places nearby)
11. The area that friends who want to buy a house move to: Locust Point
12. That amazing park that’s just a bit too far away: Patapsco Valley State Park
13. The area you only bother going to because that’s where IKEA is: White Marsh
14. Area that your friends move to and then you never catch up because it’s ages away and their kids are kind of annoying: Howard, Carroll, or Harford Counies
15. Area with that really beautiful park but no bars or pubs or even life: Leakin Park?
16. The area that describes north of the river as hipsters: I'd say any of the old stock working/middle-class neighborhoods on the east side and inner suburbs like Dundalk and Parkville best describe this, directing perhaps towards places like Hampden or Station North, but Baltimore isn't a very "hipster" city outside of a few little pockets.
17. Area with that massive development that totally didn’t work: Downtown's Westside master plan
18. Area with that huge shopping center that you hate but that’s where the closest Apple store is: Towson Town Center

Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhatta View Post
Lol I guess one could say this (sorta) for NYC.

1) Downtown = Downtown or Midtown really
2) Area that used to be cool = I couldn't really think of anything for this one off the top of my head. Will keep y'all posted
3) Area that tourists love but locals hate = Times Square. Too easy.
4) Former Industrial Area = Meatpacking/Chelsea/Hell's Kitchen, although apartments there are not cheap. In terms of cheap, you'd have to head across the river to Bk or Queens.
5) Really bad traffic = Let's be honest, everywhere
6) Ugly Bridge = In my opinion, it's gotta be the Queensboro. That **** UGLY
7) Iconic Bridge = Brooklyn Bridge, obviously
8) Area that describes other side of the river as ***** = UWS probably
9) Cool area that your parents would've avoided in the 90's = Harlem or anywhere north of 110th
10)Ethnic neighborhood that white people go for food = Chinatown/Little Italy
11)Area that friends who want to buy a house move to = UES for townhouses or brownstones.
12)Amazing park that's just a tad too far= Morningside
13)Area you only bother going because there's IKEA = That IKEA in Red Hook.
14)That Area that friends move to that you never catch up = The entirety of SI. Nice place but so far
15)Area With really nice park but no bars= Latourette Park in SI.
16) Area that describes other side as hipsters = Everyone describing DUMBO? IDK lol
17)Area with massive failed development = Bronx Point (I guess?)
18) Area with massive shopping center w/ apple store= Really there are apple stores everywhere in NYC, but the iconic one is one 5th ave

As you can see a lot of these don't match perfectly, but I gave it my best shot lol
Very wrong. They're not cheap there either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning