Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 7,938 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I came across this 'map' the other day, which is meant to be a map of every city based on stereotypes associated with different neighborhoods. I found it really amusing! Here's the article...

And here's the map:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZa0thbWEAAnZpx.jpg

So I'm curious, do these stereotypes fit cities your familiar with? Obviously it's not meant to be taken too seriously. For example, this city has a river and describes neighborhoods "north of the river" and "south of the river". Not all cities have rivers, but most have crosstown rivalries! What do you think?

Last edited by JMT; 11-12-2018 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,938 times
I thought I'd try fitting two cities I'm the most familiar with (Montreal and Milwaukee) into these categories, and was surprised how well some of them fit! Here's what I came up with:

MONTREAL

1. The city/downtown. Lots of people in suits: Downtown
2. The area that used to be cool but is now full of **** bars + drunks: St. Laurent Boulevard
3. The area that tourists love but locals hate: Old Montreal/Old Port/Chinatown
4. Former industrial area, now cheap apartments with no soul: Griffintown (not exactly cheap though)
5. Road renown for having having really bad traffic. I hate this road: The Met/Decarie Expressway
6. Ugly bridge everyone hates: Champlain Bridge
7. Iconic bridge everyone loves: Jacques-Cartier Bridge
8. The area that describes south of the river as “*****”: Mile End (directed at Plateau)
9. Cool area that your parents would have avoided in the 80s: St. Henri
10. Ethnic neighborhood where white people go for the best food: Parc-Ex
11. The area that friends who want to buy a house move to: NDG
12. That amazing park that’s just a bit too far away: Maisonneuve Park/Botanical Gardens
13. The area you only bother going to because that’s where IKEA is: West Island
14. Area that your friends move to and then you never catch up because it’s ages away and their kids are kind of annoying: West Island/Laval/South Shore
15. Area with that really beautiful park but no bars or pubs or even life: Lafontaine Park?
16. The area that describes north of the river as hipsters: Plateau (directed at Mile End)
17. Area with that massive development that totally didn’t work: Olympic Stadium/Jean-Drapeau Park
18. Area with that huge shopping center that you hate but that’s where the closest Apple store is: Carrefour Laval/Dix-30

MILWAUKEE

1. The city/downtown. Lots of people in suits: Downtown (Juneautown, specifically)
2. The area that used to be cool but is now full of **** bars + drunks: Water Street (between Highland and Knapp)
3. The area that tourists love but locals hate: Third Ward
4. Former industrial area, now cheap apartments with no soul: Hmm... the Brewery maybe?
5. Road renown for having having really bad traffic. I hate this road: I-41 between North Avenue and the Zoo
6. Ugly bridge everyone hates: 16th St/27th St/35th St Viaducts
7. Iconic bridge everyone loves: Hoan Bridge
8. The area that describes south of the river as “*****”: Bay View (directed at East Side)
9. Cool area that your parents would have avoided in the 80s: Riverwest
10. Ethnic neighborhood where white people go for the best food: South Side
11. The area that friends who want to buy a house move to: North Shore/Wauwatosa
12. That amazing park that’s just a bit too far away: Havenwoods
13. The area you only bother going to because that’s where IKEA is: Schaumburg, IL? haha
14. Area that your friends move to and then you never catch up because it’s ages away and their kids are kind of annoying: Mequon/Franklin/Brookfield
15. Area with that really beautiful park but no bars or pubs or even life: Jackson or Washington Park
16. The area that describes north of the river as hipsters: East Side (directed at Bay View)
17. Area with that massive development that totally didn’t work: Park East
18. Area with that huge shopping center that you hate but that’s where the closest Apple store is: Mayfair/Bayshore

Old 02-07-2016, 01:16 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,857,416 times
SEATTLE

1. The city/downtown. Lots of people in suits: Downtown
2. The area that used to be cool but is now full of **** bars + drunks: Belltown/Capitol Hill
3. The area that tourists love but locals hate: Pike Place/Seattle Center
4. Former industrial area, now cheap apartments with no soul: South Lake Union (NOT CHEAP THOUGH)
5. Road renown for having having really bad traffic. I hate this road: Aurora Avenue
6. Ugly bridge everyone hates: Alaskan Way Viaduct
7. Iconic bridge everyone loves: Aurora Bridge (because of the giant Fremont Troll under the bridge)
8. The area that describes south of the river as “*****”: Capitol Hill (directed at Ballard)
9. Cool area that your parents would have avoided in the 80s: Capitol Hill
10. Ethnic neighborhood where white people go for the best food: Rainier Valley/South Seattle
11. The area that friends who want to buy a house move to: Greenlake/Ravenna/Magnolia/Madison Park
12. That amazing park that’s just a bit too far away: Discovery Park? (Not far from Downtown)
13. The area you only bother going to because that’s where IKEA is: Renton
14. Area that your friends move to and then you never catch up because it’s ages away and their kids are kind of annoying: Kirkland
15. Area with that really beautiful park but no bars or pubs or even life: Golden Gardens
16. The area that describes north of the river as hipsters: Ballard(directed at Capitol Hill)(although both Ballard/Cap Hill are hipsterish)
17. Area with that massive development that totally didn’t work: Bertha (the giant drill struck underneath Seattle)
18. Area with that huge shopping center that you hate but that’s where the closest Apple store is: University Village (although I don't hate it)

Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,022,725 times
Not even close to being accurate.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,739,702 times
Hmm, I'm guessing this would probably only work for some smaller cities in the Great Plains or South (maybe southwest too)

Old 11-08-2018, 03:27 PM

2,251 posts, read 2,367,153 times
Not really. Maybe smaller cities but definitely not large cities.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,082,221 times
Hmmm... I'm in a smaller town, and you're right. For us, it might be about 50/50 accurate. Maybe 40/60, but still more accurate than it would be for a bigger city.

Our historic buildings go back to the 1690s and early 1700s. But we do have some buildings built in the 160s that are starting to feel a little "historic" (that's a nice way of saying old, right? )

Not quite sure we have a Dopey Roadside Attraction although the Pottery Factory might count. But that's not in the middle of town.

No schools named after Indians, and no sky scrapers.

No pawn shops, but we have a Habitat Restore. We don't have any billboards, but we do have lots of houses and water wasting golf courses.

Parks around here take up a lot more space than bars. But we do have bars. The ratio of bars to "hipster beers" and hipster burgers" seems about right. We do have lots and lots of craft breweries, serving both hipster burgers AND hipster beers.

We have pizza and lawyers. They got those two right!

Not sure if we have a main street named after a president, or a tree for that matter. But we do have some strip malls. Also, no streets named after civil war generals, but plenty named after revolutionary and pre-revolutionary figures. Does that count?

No mega church, but we do have a lot of churches.

Plenty of McMansions, although they're not in the city (you have to take that road leading out to suburbia).

No trucker bars, but we do have donut shops, which sorta counts.

We have William and Mary, not sure if that's considered an Ivy League University but we do have streets that refer to it, so that's something they got more or less right. Our monstrous highway, on the other hand, doesn't run right through the middle of town. But we do have one fairly close by.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 11-08-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 04:48 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
100%. (Sarc)

Seriously, it's baloney. Even here in Denver, there are historical features going back 150 years or more. https://www.10best.com/destinations/...istoric-sites/
"Indian" school mascots are discouraged, and there are no schools named for "Indians". (How un-PC of you in London to use such a term.)
We have far more park space than that city. https://www.denver.org/things-to-do/.../denver-parks/
I don't think there are any mega-churches in the city.
Interstate-25 does not go through downtown, nor does I-70.
I don't think there's a "Civil War General" boulevard. We have a Lincoln St. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_system_of_Denver
Is this what passes for clever in the UK?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-08-2018 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 PM

7,721 posts, read 6,279,338 times
They omitted the tattoo parlors.

We have to cross Tampa bay to get to the interstate.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,014,814 times
Usually the Interstate goes around the city and has gas stations,warehouse clubs, and dying malls at the exits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning