Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:42 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times

Advertisements

Long Island, New York for example.

Do we say that people live IN Long Island, or ON Long Island?

People live in New York, but we'd never say that people live ON New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 06:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
But it's ON Long Island.

It just is.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:12 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post

If you live underground than you could say you live IN Long Island. However most people live ON the surface of the island.

But you live within the town (or city) limits so you live IN the town (or city)

Old 03-19-2016, 05:25 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you live underground than you could say you live IN Long Island. However most people live ON the surface of the island.

But you live within the town (or city) limits so you live IN the town (or city)
Thanks guys. English is my native tongue, but I just caught myself yesterday overwhelmingly wanting to say that someone lives IN Long Island, although I knew ON was the right word. Wanted to discuss how weird that seemed to me at the moment.

I'll continue to behave & speak English properly

Old 03-20-2016, 02:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
On a related note:

I grew up in a place called "Patterson Heights". My mom used to say we lived "on" Patterson Heights. I thought that was kind of strange. Anyone?

Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
It's local dependent. People live in Falmouth but it's on Cape Cod. My ears grate whenever I hear "in" Cape Cod.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:10 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
On a related note:

I grew up in a place called "Patterson Heights". My mom used to say we lived "on" Patterson Heights. I thought that was kind of strange. Anyone?
Patterson Heights was named because it is a physical terrain feature. So living 'on the Heights' is appropriate (again unless you burrowed underground in which case you would live in Patterson Heights :-) ) Of course once a municipality took the name Patterson Heights it would be appropriate to say you lived in Patterson Heights whether you lived on the high ground or not. Which gives you the option of living IN Patterson Heights ON Patterson Heights if you lived in the appropriate part of town. In many small towns here in the mid Atlantic (especially older ones) living on the 'heights' or 'the hill' was a status symbol since the better part of town was at the higher elevation where they would be cooler because of the breezes in the summer.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post

But people live "in" Manhattan, not "on" Manhattan; and yet Manhattan is an island.

You live "on" Staten Island, not "in" it. Ditto the other places around NYC with "island" as part of their name, and Fire Island as well.

Thinking of other places, perhaps it is the inclusion of "island" in the name that calls for "on."

Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
People live on the coast/shore. People live in the hills/mountains/forest/desert. If you're talking about naming a particular version, I guess you live on a named hill/mountain, but still live in the forest or a desert even if you're talking about a specific one.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I grew up on Long Island, but a few years back I lived in the city of Treasure Island FL, which was actually a city located on 4 islands. One is a geographical location, the other a political entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning