Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,276,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I suggested 1 car per unit. Some one-bedroom units have two people living in them. Lots of people do that when they're first starting out. So that means the other person would have to find an alternate place for his/her car. I'd give an example with my daughter but you guys trashed her the other night, so I'm leaving her out. But. . . an old house converted into two-2 BR units that have a 3 person occupancy limit each could go from having 1-2 cars for the entire building to 6! Most singles, IME, have their own cars. Couples sometimes share.
That depends, some areas there isn't a demand for one parking spot per unit, while others one parking spot per unit is too little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 03:15 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,958,036 times
I made some maps a while back showing car ownership in the Toronto area.

First one is # of cars per adult (aged 16+).

Big difference between the exurban type communities like King City, Caledon, Scugog, etc which had essentially 1 car per adult vs downtown where it was as little as 1 car for every 3 adults. In addition to downtown and the rest of the urban core, some working class inner suburban areas had car ownership rates as low as half those of the exurbs. Even some of the working class middle to outer ring suburbs had rates significantly lower than those of the exurbs. The difference is even larger when you consider the differences in household sizes, so cars/unit might be something like 4 times higher in the exurbs vs downtown.

Next is a map showing the share of car free households. Some suburban areas that had significantly fewer cars/adult than the exurbs still have a very low rate of car free households, so it's more of a case of 1-2 cars for a 2-4 adult household in working class suburbs vs 2 cars for a 2 adult household being the norm in the upper-middle class exurbs.

Although the map shows that in some of the working class inner suburbs, car-free households are not insignificant (20-30%).

In the wealthy inner suburban areas like Yonge & Lawrence and Bloor & Islington, car ownership is higher than in the working class equivalents, despite often having better transit access and downtown jobs.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
In NJ there is only a sliver of area where you can easily live without needing a car and that would be a couple of sections of Jersey City and Hoboken. Other than Manhattan, cars are quite common and needed in NYC (Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island).
Except for Staten Island, cars are much less common than in any other US city, though some of Boston/Philly/DC/San Francisco comes close. Needed is subjective, but plenty live Queens & Brooklyn without a car.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I made some maps a while back showing car ownership in the Toronto area.

First one is # of cars per adult (aged 16+).
I'm going to try to make a similar map for NYC. Any other US city people are interested in?

From what I've seen from NYC, outer borough car ownership correlates strongly with wealth but car commuting % barely at all.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:23 PM
46H

1,647 posts, read 1,381,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except for Staten Island, cars are much less common than in any other US city, though some of Boston/Philly/DC/San Francisco comes close. Needed is subjective, but plenty live Queens & Brooklyn without a car.

A large majority live with cars in Queens.

Percentage of Households with cars in:
Manhattan 23%
Brooklyn 44%
Bronx 46%
Queens 64%
SI 84%

New Yorkers and Cars | NYCEDC

Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm going to try to make a similar map for NYC. Any other US city people are interested in?

From what I've seen from NYC, outer borough car ownership correlates strongly with wealth but car commuting % barely at all.
Sure. I'd love to see Denver.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,767,756 times
I live in a community where everything, including workplace, is at least five miles away, there aren't any sidewalks or bike paths outside the neighborhood, and there isn't any form of public transportation other than outrageously expensive taxis. Do I rely on my car? Yeah.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Manhattan 23%
Brooklyn 44%
Bronx 46%
Queens 64%
SI 84%

That has a lot to do with inner Queens and outer Queens, once you get to the outer parts the transit drops off considerably and then makes using transit very inconvenience for most trips. That is basically the gift Robert Moses gave to Queens and Bronx.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,419,241 times
Quote:

Manhattan 23%
Brooklyn 44%
Bronx 46%
Queens 64%
SI 84%

Wouldn't # cars per household be more useful?

Of the 64% of the households, for example, how many have more than one car?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Wouldn't # cars per household be more useful?

Of the 64% of the households, for example, how many have more than one car?
That depends on what you are looking for, if it is just how many households own cars, then these numbers would be more than enough for that answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning