Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:52 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't get that concept, at all. That would mean that all mixed-use districts, by definition, aren't residential. That eliminates almost all of the best urban neighborhoods in the U.S.

And I'm not aware of neighborhoods that lack elementary schools.
There's a difference between a CBD and a mixed use district.

Speaking very generally, every home in a school district has an assigned elementary, middle and high school, but they are not necessarily in the neighborhood, or even within walking distance.

https://www.dpsk12.org/pdf/DPS_Distr...ap_2012_13.pdf
Note the near absence of schools in the area bounded by I-25 on the west, Colfax on the south, Lincoln on the east, and roughly the Platte River on the north. Most of that is the CBD.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-25-2016 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,700,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There's a difference between a CBD and a mixed use district.

Speaking very generally, every home in a school district has an assigned elementary, middle and high school, but they are not necessarily in the neighborhood, or even within walking distance.

https://www.dpsk12.org/pdf/DPS_Distr...ap_2012_13.pdf
Note the near absence of schools in the area bounded by I-25 on the west, Colfax on the south, Lincoln on the east, and roughly the Platte River on the north. Most of that is the CBD.
I have not seen a lot of consistency as to how CBD and mixed use districts are defined. We had a small part of, what is generally considered to be our CBD, that was zoned single family up until 10 years ago.
The 'B' for business in CBD is a little misleading with all of the civic/gov't and residential land uses.

In Texas every parcel has to be within a school district and tracking to specific elem, middle and high schools, even if they are not necessarily in that neighborhood, zip code, etc.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I have not seen a lot of consistency as to how CBD and mixed use districts are defined. We had a small part of, what is generally considered to be our CBD, that was zoned single family up until 10 years ago.
The 'B' for business in CBD is a little misleading with all of the civic/gov't and residential land uses.

In Texas every parcel has to be within a school district and tracking to specific elem, middle and high schools, even if they are not necessarily in that neighborhood, zip code, etc.
CBD stands for "Central Business District". Here's a decent definition:
Central Business District (CBD) - Geography Definition
"The CBD is essentially about perception. It is usually the "postcard image" one has of a particular city. There have been various attempts at delineating the boundaries of the CBD but, for the most part, one can visually or instinctively know when the CBD starts and ends as it is the core and contains a plethora of tall buildings, high density, a lack of parking, transportation nodes, a large number of pedestrians on the street and generally just a lot of activity during the daytime. The bottom line is that the CBD is what people think of a city when they think of its downtown area."

Here's a definition of "mixed use" that is pretty good.
Mixed-Use Development Fits Infill, Redevelopment, and Greenfields
"Mixed-use development means a building or complex includes a mixture of land uses. Typically the term is used when residential uses are combined with office, commercial, entertainment, child care, or civic uses such as schools, libraries, or government services."

In Colorado every parcel is within a school district as well, and every dwelling has an attendance area school. Some cities have gone away from this with more "open enrollment", e.g. New Orleans.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:50 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,252,513 times
There's no consistent definition of CBD or neighborhood. It's whatever you want to say.

And all neighborhoods have assigned schools. Whether or not they're "in the neighborhood" is an unanswerable question, because there are no such thing as Census-derived neighborhood boundaries.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
There's no consistent definition of CBD or neighborhood. It's whatever you want to say.

And all neighborhoods have assigned schools. Whether or not they're "in the neighborhood" is an unanswerable question, because there are no such thing as Census-derived neighborhood boundaries.
You are the one who said the below, which started this conversation.

Quote:
I don't get that concept, at all. That would mean that all mixed-use districts, by definition, aren't residential. That eliminates almost all of the best urban neighborhoods in the U.S.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:11 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,876,898 times
Quote:

Quote:

The Census may not define neighborhood boundaries, but cities certainly do. Back Bay and Beacon Hill in Boston are two city-defined neighborhoods without any elementary schools.

Is Elementary School Out Forever in Back Bay and Beacon Hill? - Curbed Boston

Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,904,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The Census may not define neighborhood boundaries, but cities certainly do. Back Bay and Beacon Hill in Boston are two city-defined neighborhoods without any elementary schools.

Is Elementary School Out Forever in Back Bay and Beacon Hill? - Curbed Boston
I never realized those neighborhoods didn't have an elementary school. There was one directly across the street from me, in the South End (Warren and Dartmouth) that's only four blocks from The Back Bay. I will concede that when neighborhoods are that small, geographically speaking, they may not need their own elementary school.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:06 PM

8,770 posts, read 6,698,504 times
City departments define neighborhoods for planning, policing, school assignments, council districts, and other purposes. Often one department's designations are very different from another's. But "neighborhood" boundaries are purely subjective.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:51 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,876,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
City departments define neighborhoods for planning, policing, school assignments, council districts, and other purposes. Often one department's designations are very different from another's. But "neighborhood" boundaries are purely subjective.
Im not sure what you're saying here. Some neighborhoods are subjective, but others have distinct, government-set boundaries. Boundaries are not always completely universal, but it's a pretty big stretch to call something with distinct lines on a map "subjective".

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...-5fdbcc135823/

Even if you account for some fuzziness at the borders, you won't find anyone who will say that there's an elementary school in Back Bay or Beacon Hill. The nearest schools are clearly in other neighborhoods.

The City of Cambridge also has clearly defined, completely objective neighborhoods:

Neighborhood Map Gallery - CDD - City of Cambridge, Massachusetts

I'm sure lots of other places do, too.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:12 PM

^^Denver:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Denv...KzDLfwCZyvM%3A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning