Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The only one of those that is considered a "major city" is Cleveland, and Cleveland is a struggling rust belt city. Not impressed with your list.
Alright, what qualifies as a major city in your eyes then?

I'll give you two more cities, since the ones I gave you aren't satisfactory. There's Detroit, whose downtown has been (until recently, now that there's a lot of infill and renovation going on) abandoned. Parking looks fairly easy, right?

By contrast, here's the parking supply in greater downtown Portland, a fairly healthy downtown by popular word (if I'm wrong correct me).

I can't make judgement calls on some other major cities like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, etc. because I don't know their parking situations or downtowns' health. So sue me.

Quote:
Exactly! You know, it drives me crazy (no pun intended) that this forum seems to lift up NYC as the holy grail. NYC is an outlier! No other city is built out like that.
NYC is unique, but it's also our most successful and most famous city (indeed, the world's most successful and famous city). To think we have nothing to learn from it is naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Unfortunately, when you drive your car on the roads you can't just leave it sitting on the road at your destination.
Yeah you can, there's actually this really cool thing called on street parking. You should try it sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nice list of the Highest Cost of Living cities in the World.
Highest cost of living because of demand. Demand pushes prices up. Could that demand have something to do with a lack of surface lots every other block? Not necessarily, but that is a strong possibility

Last edited by OuttaTheLouBurbs; 07-12-2016 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
@mhays25- what is your experience with this that you know so much more than NBP? He's a councilman for Heaven's sake! I've heard the same stuff. If a developer says one space per unit is enough when long experience has shown otherwise, it's likely the developer is trying to pull a fast one. Plus wanting all sorts of tax abatements.
A politician? Are you kidding? So he's a partisan on this stuff. Surely you know how that works...regardless of what he might know, he's here to argue a point from one side.

My experience is about 24 years, mostly in general contracting on the marketing side, plus some non-profit advocacy in the 1990s. My job involves attempting to understand and track everything from multifamily to schools to biotech to retail -- and to look at these things in a more balanced way. And I write blog posts for the local business daily.

What's your expertise? Last time I asked you didn't really answer.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Yeah you can, there's actually this really cool thing called on street parking. You should try it sometime
Talk about subsidized parking!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
A politician? Are you kidding? So he's a partisan on this stuff. Surely you know how that works...regardless of what he might know, he's here to argue a point from one side.

My experience is about 24 years, mostly in general contracting on the marketing side, plus some non-profit advocacy in the 1990s. My job involves attempting to understand and track everything from multifamily to schools to biotech to retail -- and to look at these things in a more balanced way. And I write blog posts for the local business daily.

What's your expertise? Last time I asked you didn't really answer.
So you're biased too, on the developer's side. I knew that but didn't want to bring it up until you started slamming NBP. I told you, I've been a government observer for The League of Women Voters. I'm speaking as my own person here, of course.

I'm an RN who had a career in public health, also a civic job.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Where did I say that?

My mom has become very ill, so she hasn't been able to visit.

Not sure if that's relevant, though. I've made it no secret that I think we're too dependent on the automobile, and should make it easier to live without a car in more locations throughout the country.
Well, "insist" is a pretty negative word.

Sorry about your mom.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
So you're biased too, on the developer's side. I knew that but didn't want to bring it up until you started slamming NBP. I told you, I've been a government observer for The League of Women Voters. I'm speaking as my own person here, of course.

I'm an RN who had a career in public health, also a civic job.
All respectable stuff, but your expertise on this topic sounds like "skeptic" only.

Funny....some would say that because we build parking garages, our bias would be to build more and bigger parking garages. And that you don't last as a contractor if your clients don't succeed.

This is all academic on CD...my region has pretty good parking policies. They're helping keep Seattle and Portland from doubling in rents like San Francisco. Because developers, architects, etc. have gotten pretty good at figuring out good targets. It sounds like even Denver is moving out of the dark ages.

PS, your own bias is a desire for free, easy parking wherever you go?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:35 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Well, "insist" is a pretty negative word.

Yes, and I suppose I was referencing many Americans' insistence that free and ample parking should be available everywhere they go, not that everyone should give up their car. The idea that pro-urban development folks want everyone to give up their car is a straw-man. (and, the idea that everyone would be forced to give up their cars, and be forced to live in high-density cities goes beyond that, and into the realm of conspiracy theory)

Quote:
Sorry about your mom.
Thanks.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
NYC is unique, but it's also our most successful and most famous city (indeed, the world's most successful and famous city). To think we have nothing to learn from it is naive.
How is New York City the "most successful" city?

Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Can we go back to attacking the argument instead of the character?

Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:

Exactly! You know, it drives me crazy (no pun intended) that this forum seems to lift up NYC as the holy grail. NYC is an outlier! No other city is built out like that.
An outlier showing a city functions differently if built in a different, denser form and that the generalizations need not be true everywhere. No other city is built out like that in the US. In NOLA101's post, he mentioned NYC and other large world cities. Both London and Paris and many other old world cities aren't that different.

Quote:
LOL! I'm eagerly awaiting the response!
If you had seen so many NYC posts, weren't you expecting that as the answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning