Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Have you tried this? If so, how was your experience?

I feel like Manhattan/Lincoln Tunnel + NJ Turnpike traffic would make me miss my flight!
I've done nearly every route including the bus from under Port Authority that goes direct to EWR for $10. Depending on your flight, I'd recommend doing NJT from EWR connection to NY Penn if it's really late. You don't want to be at Newark Penn Station at 1a. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I've had enough friends get mugged there at waning hours that I would never bet on $5. I've had my fair share of travel that landed at EWR late.

Any other time, Newark Penn is fine. Keep in mind, it's exact change only on the buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 03:55 PM

7,775 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Rule of thumb, 10% of people do 80% of the flying.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Rule of thumb, 10% of people do 80% of the flying.
Ye Olde Economic rule, the Pareto Principle, puts it at 80% of sales come from 20% of customers. Do the frequent travelers mostly use the airport transit?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

DCA with the Metro is the clear winner in the United States. Philly would come close if the train ran more frequently than every 30 minutes. The United States just doesn't have many European-style airports with the frequent train/subway service to the city center. In Europe, you kind of expect it.
What about Chicago O'Hare and Midway, both served by CTA rapid transit, and Boston Logan, which has Silver Line BRT and (I think still) shuttle buses to the Blue Line rapid transit station at the edge of the property?

Also Cleveland Hopkins and that city's Red Line rapid transit.

BTW, the line from downtown Denver to DIA is commuter/regional rail, not light rail. Philadelphia has the same setup. Your point about Philly's well taken, and people here have argued that we could - and should - run the entire Regional Rail system more like rapid transit. (A 1950s experiment with more frequent service on the two [then separately owned and operated] commuter rail lines serving Northwest Philadelphia produced dramatic jumps in ridership.)

Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What about Chicago O'Hare and Midway, both served by CTA rapid transit, and Boston Logan, which has Silver Line BRT and (I think still) shuttle buses to the Blue Line rapid transit station at the edge of the property?
I'd place them a bit below given Chicago's airports are a long ride on the L, especially O'Hare. The Silver is bus not rail, and gets some slowdowns from either traffic congestion in the non-bus only segments and when it switches from overhead electric to diesel. Still convenient mainly because the distance isn't large. DCA via metro is also a very short distance.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
It used to be difficult traveling to and from Miami - now the Tri-Rail service (to cities north of Miami along the coast) goes right into Miami airport and is super convenient. From Ft. Lauderdale there is also a free shuttle that takes one to the Tri-Rail. This is a big improvement over past service.

Oahu also has a city bus that goes directly from the airport to the Oahu beach area, but hardly anyone knows about it and so instead the $17 dollar airport shuttles are full up and the bus that costs about a dollar loads up with people in the know.

Edinburgh, Scotland, has a new tram service that goes directly from the airport to downtown, as well as numerous city buses that do the same, so it can now vie with most top European destinations for ease of access.

To my mind, some of the worst airports for access are in Texas and several other southern states.
I agree Texas and the southern states have terrible access. I don't think that would surprise many people. Its how life is looked at in general in these parts. Drive your own car everywhere. Transit is only for the poor and downtrodden. Excuse me for the little rant. The mindset concerning transit in southern Metros aggravates me. Atlanta though does have rail to the airport. for decades now.. How they managed that one is beyond me.

Phx now has a light rail line that stops near the airport. A skytrain line was built from the Light Rail station to the airport terminals. Its quite nice,and very modern.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:42 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree Texas and the southern states have terrible access. I don't think that would surprise many people. Its how life is looked at in general in these parts. Drive your own car everywhere. Transit is only for the poor and downtrodden. Excuse me for the little rant. The mindset concerning transit in southern Metros aggravates me. Atlanta though does have rail to the airport. for decades now.. How they managed that one is beyond me.

Phx now has a light rail line that stops near the airport. A skytrain line was built from the Light Rail station to the airport terminals. Its quite nice,and very modern.
DART now serves DFW as well.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:33 AM

839 posts, read 734,594 times
Transport for London (TfL) has just taken over the Heathrow Connect service between Heathrow airport and Paddington station, and has rebranded it as TfL Rail.

This is in preparation for when the route gets absorbed into the new Crossrail line.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:20 PM

839 posts, read 734,594 times
I have just been in Tokyo, my 2nd favorite city in the world (a very close 2nd place I might say), last weekend. The city's two airports (Narita and Haneda) are very well-integrated into the city's rail infrastructure. Since Tokyo does not have a single main centre, the Narita Express stops at Tokyo's several main centres, such as Tokyo (Marunouchi), Shinagawa, Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Ikebukuro. Haneda Airport does not have its own similar express train, but it is well-connected via the Keikyu line to Shinagawa and the Tokyo Monorail line to Hamamatsucho, both of which are served by the JR Yamanote line.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning