U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,557 posts, read 8,179,128 times
Reputation: 4011
So you get away to the suburbs to escape traffic? This is one of the reasons I choose to live in the city; to get away from the traffic. I see more traffic in the suburbs than where I live in the city. Have you ever noticed, once you leave your cul-de-sac its a monster out there with traffic.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,219 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyhomelessguy View Post
Planned communities are for retards who think they are too good to live in real towns. Hey they say, "Lets go tear down more land somewhere for us retards to live in a fantasy world in a cookie cutter society and get away from crime." I don't mind "real" old walkable towns outside of a city, but these urban sprawl communities tearing down our society, environment are rediculous. I love how you urban sprawl retards leave old towns to rot, but build non efficient, irresponsible, fake, cookie cutter crap holes in new areas. In 20 years they will fall apart and have crime, and your children will be building in some more untouched land, because they will be retarded also.
While I thoroughly enjoyed the sarcasm and facetious tone of your first reply, this reply offended me personally. I have a friend who is mentally-challenged (i.e. "retarded"), and I don't appreciate it when people make light of his plight. I know how hurtful it is to hear straight guys at my college calling each other "f*gs" to put each other down in my presence, and I could only imagine how hurtful it must be for parents of mentally- or physically-challenged children to have to hear (or in this case see) someone calling others "retarded." Your wittiness should be applauded, but your choice of words was rather tasteless here. Please just watch your words more carefully in the future. I might have called these types of suburbanites that you described (which once again don't represent ALL suburbanites) "misguided", "foolish", "selfish", etc. I'm the master of euphemisms, so feel free to consult me if and when you need to find a more polite way of saying something controversial that still gets the point across.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,219 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
So you get away to the suburbs to escape traffic? This is one of the reasons I choose to live in the city; to get away from the traffic. I see more traffic in the suburbs than where I live in the city. Have you ever noticed, once you leave your cul-de-sac its a monster out there with traffic.
If suburbs were planned more efficiently in traditional "grid" structures, traffic would be a breeze in them. When you have one cul-de-sac of 10 homes feeding into another one of 15 homes feeding into a subdivision street with 30 homes feeding into the subdivision entry road with 100 homes feeding into a two-lane street and then multiply this phenomenon by dozens of subdivisions, you get instant congestion. This can best be exemplified in the Back Mountain region of my area, where 30,000 suburban residents clog the same four-lane artery at rush hour to access the city, causing massive gridlock. In cities the grid system functions much more efficiently for permitting easy traffic flow, as there are multiple routes to take to access your destinations. In the suburbs one typically only has one or two primary routes to follow, and if there's an accident, construction, etc. occurring on one of them, then you're more or less "trapped."

I'd probably appreciate the suburbs more if they didn't just orient themselves around meandering narrow roadways and cul-de-sacs to nowhere, making walking impossible and leading to this traffic congestion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2008, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,219 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
That's much of america, folks
Agreed. I see just as many selfish, stupid, uncaring people in URBAN AREAS and RURAL AREAS as well, so assuming that only suburbanites are guilty of being consumerist morons is a bit "loaded." I admittedly don't like many aspects of how our suburbs have developed, but to INSULT those who live there is a bit out-of-line. Katiana, for example, is a suburbanite, and she seems to have much more intellectual capacity than many on this forum. I myself am a suburbanite, and I don't adhere to any of those stereotypes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Status: "Happy Halloween!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,141 posts, read 58,270,444 times
Reputation: 19697
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
While I thoroughly enjoyed the sarcasm and facetious tone of your first reply, this reply offended me personally. I have a friend who is mentally-challenged (i.e. "retarded"), and I don't appreciate it when people make light of his plight. I know how hurtful it is to hear straight guys at my college calling each other "f*gs" to put each other down in my presence, and I could only imagine how hurtful it must be for parents of mentally- or physically-challenged children to have to hear (or in this case see) someone calling others "retarded." Your wittiness should be applauded, but your choice of words was rather tasteless here. Please just watch your words more carefully in the future. I might have called these types of suburbanites that you described (which once again don't represent ALL suburbanites) "misguided", "foolish", "selfish", etc. I'm the master of euphemisms, so feel free to consult me if and when you need to find a more polite way of saying something controversial that still gets the point across.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, SWB. I agree completely. Back when I was in high school (during the administration of Abraham Lincoln), I had a friend whose sister was, in the word of the day "retarded". She taught me it was not nice to use "retarded" to mean foolish, etc. I brought this up on CD a few months ago, and got a lot of crap for it. Maybe people will start listening now that someone else besides me finds it offensive.

PS: Just read your previous post. Thanks!

Last edited by Katiana; 02-27-2008 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: addition
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
113 posts, read 181,869 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyhomelessguy View Post
Planned communities are for retards who think they are too good to live in real towns. Hey they say, "Lets go tear down more land somewhere for us retards to live in a fantasy world in a cookie cutter society and get away from crime." I don't mind "real" old walkable towns outside of a city, but these urban sprawl communities tearing down our society, environment are rediculous. I love how you urban sprawl retards leave old towns to rot, but build non efficient, irresponsible, fake, cookie cutter crap holes in new areas. In 20 years they will fall apart and have crime, and your children will be building in some more untouched land, because they will be retarded also.
Incredibly true! Life in the "burbs" is soulless and uninteresting! It is sad that most people have settled for boring, cookie cutter, soulless "communities" where everything looks the same and people do not even know their neighbors. Now, your use of the word "retard" is very accurate and it is sad that some people try to make this into a "politically correct" discussion where you can't even use that word because you may hurt some people..How ridiculous!! Signs of a society that has fallen into a downward spiral. People who are intelligent and have brains in this society are seen as "crazy". I agree with your observations whole heartedly!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
 
5,231 posts, read 9,344,578 times
Reputation: 2332
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
So you get away to the suburbs to escape traffic? This is one of the reasons I choose to live in the city; to get away from the traffic. I see more traffic in the suburbs than where I live in the city. Have you ever noticed, once you leave your cul-de-sac its a monster out there with traffic.
Same here, that's how it is in Mpls/St Paul. Even on Sunday, you run into traffic back-ups around the malls and "lifestyle centers" out in the burbs, but the little retail district in my city neighborhood is accessable by foot (for me, anyway), by adequate transit (several bus lines, which run even on weekends) and even by car. There are some parking lots, but parking along the street is just as easy, and the walk from car to store/restaurant/theater/lounge/health club is often shorter than from a space in the sprawling mall lots!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,219 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Same here, that's how it is in Mpls/St Paul. Even on Sunday, you run into traffic back-ups around the malls and "lifestyle centers" out in the burbs, but the little retail district in my city neighborhood is accessable by foot (for me, anyway), by adequate transit (several bus lines, which run even on weekends) and even by car. There are some parking lots, but parking along the street is just as easy, and the walk from car to store/restaurant/theater/lounge/health club is often shorter than from a space in the sprawling mall lots!
Scranton's first 60+ store "lifestyle center" known as "The Shoppes at Montage" opened last year to initial rave reviews followed by a lot of disapproval now. Why? I think the dummies who initially supported its construction were given a reality check when they saw the finished product being nothing more than a replica of the old downtowns that were destroyed in the first place as suburbia became more popular. I've actually had to correct morons who have said "This is great! It's like shopping in a downtown," to inform them that this COULD have been Downtown Scranton if the lemmings hadn't flocked en masse to projects just like this as mom-and-pop businesses went under downtown left and right.

The most ironic part of it is that it is marketed as being an "upscale" shopping experience, yet some of the merchants include Hallmark, Christmas Tree Shop, Aeropostale, GameStop, GNC, etc. I suppose "upscale" is subjective. Morons. It's thanks to this new suburban center that Scranton's downtown mall is now collapsing in onto itself as its tenants flee to the 'burbs. I condemned this project right from the very beginning, but did anyone listen to me? Nope. You reap what you sow, Greater Scranton. You wanted to buy into this ploy for a "unique, upscale experience" and in return got deceived---we have an overglorified middle-class strip mall on former forest land while a nearby downtown decays. Way to go! Idiots!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,530,934 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If this topic has been discussed before, I apologize for bringing it up again.

As a city dweller who can't stand suburbs and sprawl, I just don't get it. In this forum it seems most people like cities. Yet throughout the country it's the sprawling suburbs that are growing the fastest. It's the sprawling metro areas that are growing the fastest (Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, DFW, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Las Vegas, NoVA, etc).

What is it about sprawling suburbs that is so appealing to apparently the majority of the population?
"why do people like sprawl" hmmm...maybe because it's not that big of a f'ing deal. plus, while those cities sprawl, i'm sure they all have their very dense areas. i know this for a fact about dallas, houston, and atlanta

but here's a good question, "why do northern urbanists complain and pick at other people's lifestyles? why don't they just hop off the tip??"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 9,597,192 times
Reputation: 1583
Well, I can tell you one reason why this northern urbanist is complaining. All you guys out in the southwest building those sprawling cities we don't like so much are now eying all of that water we have up here in the great lakes. Perhaps if you would have given some thought to how you lay out your cities, you wouldn't be moaning and groaning about how it isn't fair that we built our cities near water and you built yours out in the middle of the desert, and now feel like we ought to run and give you all our water. Perhaps if you would have thought of that before you started building and adjusted your building practices appropriately we wouldn't be in this situation. So yes, I'm complaining, I personally like the Great Lakes where they are, and have no desire to see them relocated to Nevada bit by bit to appease people in the middle of the desert who insist on having lawns and pools.

Last edited by j33; 02-28-2008 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: clarity
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top