Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm using a broader definition. Almost any large house (3000 - 7000 sq. feet) built in the last 25 years is a McMansion. Practically all of these houses have imposing looks and some "shoddy" construction.

However, as long as they are maintained and renovated, they will last for many decades, perhaps even centuries in some cases. On the other hand, if people who cannot afford to maintain these houses move into them and live there, then they will break down and start looking like what happened to Detroit.
I totally disagree that houses built in the last 25 years, big or little, have "shoddy" construction as a rule. People have been saying that for forever. Yes, construction materials change, just like with cars. While "vintage" cars have a certain appeal, they don't have a lot of the stuff that new cars of today have. It's the same with houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 02:47 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I totally disagree that houses built in the last 25 years, big or little, have "shoddy" construction as a rule. People have been saying that for forever. Yes, construction materials change, just like with cars. While "vintage" cars have a certain appeal, they don't have a lot of the stuff that new cars of today have. It's the same with houses.
Unless you own one or build one it is pretty hard to tell if there is shoddy construction.

In my area, besides the big house on smaller lot look, there are some obvious tell tale signs that help define a McM. It is usually built from a canned set of colonial plans that includes a 2 story entry foyer with a lavish stairway, a 'bonus' room over the garage, 4/5 bedrooms upstairs, a 600 square foot master suite with an attached 250 square foot bathroom, an office/bedroom on the first floor next to a full bath for live in help, a huge great room with a fireplace and 15-20 foot ceilings that opens into a huge eat in kitchen with an island. There can be an attached 3 car garage, but depending on the lot size and profitability, the garage is a great place to skimp and build a 2 car garage.

There have been 3 built on my street in the last year. Most of the lots in my area are 70x100, 100x100, and 100x200. The 3 have been placed on 100 x 200 lots, replacing a couple of lovely mid 1950s ranches and 1930s craftsman bungalow.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Unless you own one or build one it is pretty hard to tell if there is shoddy construction.

In my area, besides the big house on smaller lot look, there are some obvious tell tale signs that help define a McM. It is usually built from a canned set of colonial plans that includes a 2 story entry foyer with a lavish stairway, a 'bonus' room over the garage, 4/5 bedrooms upstairs, a 600 square foot master suite with an attached 250 square foot bathroom, an office/bedroom on the first floor next to a full bath for live in help, a huge great room with a fireplace and 15-20 foot ceilings that opens into a huge eat in kitchen with an island. There can be an attached 3 car garage, but depending on the lot size and profitability, the garage is a great place to skimp and build a 2 car garage.

There have been 3 built on my street in the last year. Most of the lots in my area are 70x100, 100x100, and 100x200. The 3 have been placed on 100 x 200 lots, replacing a couple of lovely mid 1950s ranches and 1930s craftsman bungalow.
Oh, Good Grief! Do you own "one"? The building codes in the last 25 years are certainly more stringent that previously, especially for insulation and safe wiring.

"(L)ovely mid-50s ranches", LOL! You know what my parents used to say about mid-50s ranches? "Shoddily built", "won't last 10 years", "no resale value", etc.

1930s craftsman bungalow? There wasn't much of anything being built in the 1930s. These craftsman bungalows were mainly built in 1905-1930. Craftsman Style: 1905 Now some of these pictures are lovely, but I'm willing to bet that's not what was replaced. I'm betting more like the "California Bungalow" pictured here: Craftsman Style: 1905 Have you ever been in one of these? I've been in lots. I was a visiting nurse in Denver, where there are also a lot of houses of that style, despite the name "California" which isn't used here. Talk about "canned plans". You never needed to ask where the bathroom was; it, and there was only one in the originals, is always in the same place. Little use of hallways (called "wasted space"), so the bedrooms open directly off the living room. Some had weird add-ons. Gads!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:27 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Quote:

Good definition here. Think 'faux luxury' with all the HGTV buzzwords thrown in.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Good definition here. Think 'faux luxury' with all the HGTV buzzwords thrown in.
" “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.” "
2019. Lewis Carroll (1832-98). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989

Old 10-10-2016, 09:00 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
The 3 have been placed on 100 x 200 lots, replacing a couple of lovely mid 1950s ranches and 1930s craftsman bungalow.
Have you ever lived in those houses. They are poorly insulated with bad electrical wiring and plumbing / septic system. It costs a fortune to bring it up to code and it is still cramped and small. And things go wrong often that it is a money pit. Everything old is not well built or good. The truly old, grand, well built homes cost millions. Nostalgia can be overpowering.

No one has prevented anyone from living in one of these old 1930 or 1950's homes. But let people build McMansions and live in them if they want to. Their choice.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
" “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.” "
2019. Lewis Carroll (1832-98). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989
it's a better quote, when you're comparing yourself to Humpty Dumpty rather than comparing someone else to. [I've done that in real life and on the forum ]

Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

It's odd to read a 50s home described as "old". It's postwar!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM

what do people think of these two suburban homes? McMansions on right:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8412...7i13312!8i6656

"normal homes" [late 50s, somewhat fancy then and now though cheaper than the above McMansion and in the same neighborhood] on left. another older one

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8422...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-11-2016, 06:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
what do people think of these two suburban homes? McMansions on right:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8412...7i13312!8i6656

"normal homes" [late 50s, somewhat fancy then and now though cheaper than the above McMansion and in the same neighborhood] on left. another older one

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8422...7i13312!8i6656
I'm not a fan of either. (I'm a die-hard old house lover, remember) But, I'm more OK with the house at the second link, because of the mature landscaping, and more plain design. At the first link, I looked at the house with the white Camaro in the driveway, although I wouldn't necessarily call it a McMansion. It isn't over-the-top with lots of slapped-on ostentation, nor does it appear to have many elements of poor design. (e.g. windows out of alignment with each other, really poor proportion of massing, etc.)

Also, because bungalows were brought up, I saw an awesome original bungalow for sale the other day on Facebook: https://www.trulia.com/property/3245...ouver-WA-98660
I don't know what the bathroom looks like, but otherwise, this is close to my ideal house. I don't know the area, at all, but I'm afraid someone will buy it and: rip out the kitchen, replace the windows, paint the woodwork, and replace the original garage with an incongruous "one day" garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning