Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,207 times

Advertisements

Often we're not in the mood to rent a car when we choose to visit a certain part of the country. So if I were to explore the following cities without a car, which would be the best cities if we were to rely on public transit? Also, which systems have good connecting systems or services to suburban areas?

- Dallas- Ft. Worth
- Minneapolis- St. Paul
- Cleveland
- Houston
- St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
St. Louis has a pretty good public transit system. You can buy a one-day pass for $4.50 and I think you could visit most tourist areas using the MetroLink.

St. Louis, MO: Visitor Information & Travel Planning Resources (http://www.explorestlouis.com/visitors/index.asp - broken link)
A Complete Guide to St. Louis Attractions

MetroLink Station List (http://www.metrostlouis.org/MetroLink/stationlist.asp - broken link)

I'd think you could get around most of the city just on the metrolink.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 AM

936 posts, read 3,189,519 times
doesn't Dallas have the DART light rail system? i haven't really heard much about any of the other public transportation systems among those cities. i do have family in minneapolis and whenever i visit, i don't really see public transportation, just a lot of train tracks for commerce. maybe some are used for public transportation too, i dont know, im ignorant

Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
Cleveland

Timetables, Maps & Schedules | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
Yes, probably Cleveland, although DART in Dallas is doing quite well.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,094 times
Keeping in mind the size of the metro areas, I'd probably say Cleveland and St. Louis.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,315 times
I like DART in Dallas, but as of yet the rail network doesn't connect with either airport (not without transfer to airport shuttles, which adds to time).
So I'd probably pick St. Louis for now.
Houston is pretty lacking, although their Main St. Fannin line is a nice connection between Reliant, midtown and downtown.
I know little of the other two, sorry.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,257,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
doesn't Dallas have the DART light rail system? i haven't really heard much about any of the other public transportation systems among those cities. i do have family in minneapolis and whenever i visit, i don't really see public transportation, just a lot of train tracks for commerce. maybe some are used for public transportation too, i dont know, im ignorant

Minneapolis has a really efficient bus system and light rail line. The light rail goes from downtown to the Mall of America, so in between there there's several stops that link up with many bus lines and the airport. I don't know about these other cities, but I know they take public transportation somewhat seriously up there due to the weather and the fact it's a little more liberal/green.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
doesn't Dallas have the DART light rail system?
From stuff I've read online, DART is undergoing a pretty large and rapid expansion of their light rail system. If it isn't already, it sounds like it's going to wind up being a lot more expansive than any of the other cities listed.

Here's one link, but I think if you dig around there's even a video somewhere online about it, so my vote would be Dallas/DART: DART.org - Expansion Information

Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
Cleveland has by far the most coverage for their transit line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning