Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:45 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Row houses are a big thing in many parts of the USA. Today they call them townhouses.

Today, the term, townhouse, is used to describe units mimicking a detached home that are attached in a multi-unit complex.

Almost all of them, are set up as Condos. Usually 2 story, with homes connected on each side with another unit, with a Condo association.

Some of them may be lower class, but the majority are not low class living by far.
It's interesting that they're so rarely freehold in the US.

There are some condo townhouses in the Toronto area, which tend to have narrower streets (no room for street parking) and often no sidewalks since they are private streets subject to different rules. But many townhouses around Toronto are just like SFHs but with the 5-10 ft separation between homes removed.

non condo townhouse:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.40230...7i13312!8i6656

condo townhouses:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.40640...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 10:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Although it's true that the Mid-Atlantic has a lot of rowhouses too, they seems to have mostly stopped building them after the 1950s while England looks like it never stopped building them.
England did shift somewhat in the later 20th century to semi-detached and detached homes; rowhomes are found more in the old city centers.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
It's interesting that they're so rarely freehold in the US.

There are some condo townhouses in the Toronto area, which tend to have narrower streets (no room for street parking) and often no sidewalks since they are private streets subject to different rules. But many townhouses around Toronto are just like SFHs but with the 5-10 ft separation between homes removed.

non condo townhouse:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.40230...7i13312!8i6656

condo townhouses:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.40640...7i13312!8i6656
Wow... that streetscape consists of nothing but garages and driveways. It has the worst aspects of the modern detached home (a sea of garages and driveways) without any of the benefits of space, distance, ornamentation or individuality.

That's where people go to have their souls compacted and crushed.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:50 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The Knightsbridge photo in London mentions "Cadogan". I stayed three nights in the Cadogan Hotel years ago, and I'm wondering if that is actually the hotel where I stayed.

Do you know if that was formerly the Cadogan Hotel?
The photo is of Cadogan Place. The Belmond Cadogan hotel (formerly just the Cadogan) is on Sloane Street a few hundred feet away. It is the poshest part of London, unfortunately now mostly "occupied" by foreign landowners who do not rent out the properties, they just leave them empty and use them a few times a year.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Love a row home!
A house is not a home.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:28 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Here in Boston, we refer to the grand connected homes in the Back Bay and Beacon Hill as townhouses whereas they might be called row houses or brownstones elsewhere. They were single family homes built for the white collar workers in the late 1800's and early 1900's. These are usually individual homes and not condos.

What some people may look at lower class are the tenements that were built for the working class in the same time frame in the North End which today is some of the most expensive real estate in the city:

Row houses versus free standing homes are based on availability of land, lifestyle, etc. There is no right or wrong answer, just preferences. Right now I am in a traditional single family home in a suburban town. But I could see myself in a townhouse at some point.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:52 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
I wonder if the fact that England ran out of wood a long time ago has anything to do with the differences. They had to build out of brick masonry, so probably there was less of a risk of fires spreading. That might have meant better insulation from sound too.

Although it's true that the Mid-Atlantic has a lot of rowhouses too, they seems to have mostly stopped building them after the 1950s while England looks like it never stopped building them.
The question I'd need answered there is: Are they tearing down the old row houses and building fully detached houses in their places?

If not, then you're just looking at the effects of economics and market preference everywhere.

Where developers have attempted townhouses in areas that the economics have equally favored small or older detached homes, townhouses are typically tough resells.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:13 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I asked DH about this (he of the PhD in physics and lots of construction experience) and he said it would be very expensive to add on to a row.
Infill of this sort happens frequently in cities with a lot of rowhouses. Essentially a neighborhood goes downhill for awhile, some houses are demolished, and later on there is infill on the vacant lots. Here's an example from my old neighborhood which is definitely attached on one side.

Quote:
I wonder if the fact that England ran out of wood a long time ago has anything to do with the differences. They had to build out of brick masonry, so probably there was less of a risk of fires spreading. That might have meant better insulation from sound too.

Umm, what are you talking about? As I said upthread, Rowhouses were rare in New England even in the 19th century outside of the brick core neighborhoods of Boston. New England cities were really badly affected by urban renewal in the mid 20th century, so it's hard to be certain, but there's really nothing left elsewhere but isolated streets - certainly not whole neighborhoods like Boston's South End.

Rowhouses can of course be made out of wood, but you really only find large numbers of wood rowhouses in Pittsburgh and some of the coal mining areas of Eastern Pennsylvania. Some of the oldest colonial-era buildings in New England can look a bit rowhouse-like however. They tended to always be detached, but were often built with zero setback.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Beautiful building, but it's still living in an apartment. My college years in the 1970s were enough of that for me.
AMEN ! From one that lives in flyover country and enjoys not hearing the neighbors toilet flush or his stereo through the walls.

Last edited by Rogarven; 11-04-2016 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 07:30 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
Here in NJ, historic rowhome neighborhoods can be found mostly in cities influenced by Philadelphia's architecture such as Camden and Trenton, or places that were directly tied to NYC like downtown Jersey City and Hoboken. Cities like Paterson, Elizabeth, and especially Newark feature(ed) only handful of quality attached houses. Much of Newark was comprised of detached wooden houses, sometimes with very small front yards, and often of dubious quality, built in the late nineteenth century. By the early twentieth, when the city was at its zenith, construction had already moved on to detached single and multi family houses on the city's edges. Poor quality and the poverty of today's residents have left many of these neighborhoods in complete disrepair, while the detached, multi-family homes of more recent vintage are decidedly subpar.

Here's a typical intact historical streetscape:
And here's one featuring recent construction:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7255...7i13312!8i6656

Not that the city has no historic rowhomes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning