Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I'm looking on it from a European perspective, where American style suburbs are practically non-existent. American style surburbs are maybe somewhat comparable to isolated residential settlements in more rural parts in Germany. I grew up in such a place. I think it's for parents of small children a more comfortable way to raise their children but it's not exactly a good place for their children.

That's the place I grew up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgRPjYuLYyk

It's really like an idyllic world. But I think the kids from such places are up to 2 years behind in their development compared to kids in more urban areas. Kids in more urban areas get more easily in contact to
people from all different kinds. They learn at an earlier stage how to interact or not to interact with very different people from all ages. Especially when they use buses, trams or trains. They make more experiences with different people and that makes it easier for them to solve conflicts. Children in more urban areas will visit playgrounds more frequently than children in more suburban settings and by doing so they make more experiences with more diverse people. So they improve their social skills. They have a bigger treasure of experience. Kids that grew up in more urban areas tend to be more tolerant and more liberal thinking.
Interesting video, thank you for sharing.

My suburb is quite different. We have a large state university in our midst, which brings many international families into our community and children into contact with many different cultures. I look out my window and see Connecticut across the water, while a half mile walk has me at the train to NYC. We're far enough from the city for its negative aspects not to affect us but close enough to take a day trip for pleasure. It is ideal for me.

It is anything but isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Levittown, NY banned blacks at its founding
There were racial covenants in place. Levittown 1970, my Hispanic mother, younger sister and I had one neighbor who harassed us so badly that the police had to become involved. Never mind that all that covenant nonsense was history then.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And 70 years later, Levittown, N.J. (now Willingboro) now has a sizeable African-American population. What's your point?
The point is that the response you replied to was about segregation on Long Island where the ORIGINAL Levittown (which had racial covenants) is located. Willingboro, NJ is no where near this and has absolutely nothing to do with the purported segregation on Long Island, NY.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post

At least people living in urban areas have easy access to venues of entertainment or places to meet people because their options are in a few block radius. In my burb, there's nothing but houses and strip malls filled with Wal-mart and McDonalds, which makes it hard to meet people.
So your sweeping generalizations were based upon the speck on the map where you live.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:20 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I'm looking on it from a European perspective, where American style suburbs are practically non-existent. American style surburbs are maybe somewhat comparable to isolated residential settlements in more rural parts in Germany. I grew up in such a place. I think it's for parents of small children a more comfortable way to raise their children but it's not exactly a good place for their children.

It's really like an idyllic world. But I think the kids from such places are up to 2 years behind in their development compared to kids in more urban areas. Kids in more urban areas get more easily in contact to
people from all different kinds. They learn at an earlier stage how to interact or not to interact with very different people from all ages. Especially when they use buses, trams or trains. They make more experiences with different people and that makes it easier for them to solve conflicts. Children in more urban areas will visit playgrounds more frequently than children in more suburban settings and by doing so they make more experiences with more diverse people. So they improve their social skills. They have a bigger treasure of experience. Kids that grew up in more urban areas tend to be more tolerant and more liberal thinking.
I used to live in this neighborhood:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...4!4d13.2726377

Notice all the cars? Everybody drove. Those people, or the nanny, drove their children everywhere. While that neighborhood was in the city, it wasn't terribly near anything. It may as well have been the suburbs. In fact, that's why people lived there.

I really didn't think it was important for my son to be able to identify a hooker by the time he was 8 years old. That, and many other things, could wait for a few years.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I suppose then I meant why zone out small apartment buildings? I rather like the older New England format of mixing small apartments and houses, and big complexes can often be unattractive.

One thing unique to Long Island (and absent elsewhere in NY) is our drinking water comes from 1 of 3 aquifers beneath us. Many areas do not have a sewer systems (my community being one) which has compromised the top aquifer along with commercial spills and leaks.

Most of the homes in my area aren't like the triple Deckers and 1) have larger lots zoned single family 1/2 acre and up OR 2) are on small lots (dating back to our Chataqua era). In short, they won't support a larger, multifamily unit.

There are some transit-oriented developments (with sewers) going up near some of our train stations. They're more in line with the villages which have a commercial/retail space on the first floor and two floors of apartments above, sort of like downtown Brattleboro.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I used to live in this neighborhood:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...4!4d13.2726377

Notice all the cars? Everybody drove. Those people, or the nanny, drove their children everywhere. While that neighborhood was in the city, it wasn't terribly near anything. It may as well have been the suburbs. In fact, that's why people lived there.

I really didn't think it was important for my son to be able to identify a hooker by the time he was 8 years old. That, and many other things, could wait for a few years.
Beautiful neighborhood! I agree re: the bold.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 PM

243 posts, read 220,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As far as #3, what do you expect if you get up in the morning, go to work and come home at night? I'm home most of the day, and I see people walking around, walking their dogs, etc. Just this morning, as I backed the car out of my garage at 9:15 AM on New Year's Day Sunday, I ran into a neighbor (almost literally as she was walking down the sidewalk in front of my house) walking her dog. We chatted for a few minutes. On the way home from church, I saw a number of people out, this time at 10:30 AM on a holiday Sunday.
This is true , I don't expect anything . Some good points in the tread . My rural is very different than yours though , it seems . I live on a rural road , 2 neighbors , both older. I live on 17 acres , cant see my neighbors house . I moved here to raise a family . We have benifits to that . We have a 4 wheeler the kids have fun on , a huge hill to sled on in winter , a beautiful creek we walk and catch crawfish , go on creek walks .

The negatives , I wish there were kids in walking distance my children could play with . So it involves drop offs and pick ups . I decided since my daughter was older I could let her walk to grandmas a few houses down (half mile) . Then a truck plowed into 2 neighbors talking at a mailbox , fatility , then that ended . I still prefer it though . I would say we are a bit sheltered from the outside . But , I know where and what my kids are doing .

Old 01-02-2017, 07:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
This is true , I don't expect anything . Some good points in the tread . My rural is very different than yours though , it seems . I live on a rural road , 2 neighbors , both older. I live on 17 acres , cant see my neighbors house . I moved here to raise a family . We have benifits to that . We have a 4 wheeler the kids have fun on , a huge hill to sled on in winter , a beautiful creek we walk and catch crawfish , go on creek walks .

The negatives , I wish there were kids in walking distance my children could play with . So it involves drop offs and pick ups . I decided since my daughter was older I could let her walk to grandmas a few houses down (half mile) . Then a truck plowed into 2 neighbors talking at a mailbox , fatility , then that ended . I still prefer it though . I would say we are a bit sheltered from the outside . But , I know where and what my kids are doing .
I'm actually in a suburb, not a rural area. When my kids were little, they played with the neighbor kids. As they got older, their friendships expanded and I had to drive them places.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The point is that the response you replied to was about segregation on Long Island where the ORIGINAL Levittown (which had racial covenants) is located. Willingboro, NJ is no where near this and has absolutely nothing to do with the purported segregation on Long Island, NY.
The response I replied to was about segregation in a postwar suburb. I am well aware of the locations and evolutions of the various Levittowns in the area.

Your post has nothing to do with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning