Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:20 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

I also wanted to add that I don't think it's very well planned either. I think it's definitely getting better, but not there yet. I lived in Houston. I have a lot of family there, so I am still there about once a month. I will reiterate what others have said with the flooding. Even a small amount of rain will flood the city. And Houston actually gets a pretty good amount of rain, usually in short, intense showers, which makes it worse.

Despite what some news sources might say. The traffic is still horrible. I-10 is now a ridiculous number of lanes, yet it STILL backs up all the time. I also absolutely hate the fact that you have to make a u-turn (or several) to get anywhere. Like I said, the city's trying, but it's got a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,819 times
The lack of zoning has created a traffic nightmare, even in areas away from center city Houston. it also leads to side by side residential and commercial properties.

The Woodlands has zoning, but the traffic from The Woodlands still dumps out onto 1 lane in each direction FM roads to the north and west. A 50 acres site just outside the western border of The Woodlands just added what looks like 1000 apartments on a 50 acre site (12 4 story buildings and 38 2 story buildings, all rentals). All these rentals empty onto FM 2978, a one lane in each direction road. In addition, the site shares property lines with the back of a Walmart and a commercial truck body manufacturer. Across the street is a truck junkyard/"dealership", a chemical company that deals in refrigerants/fire protection chemicals, and a manufacturing company that builds equipment for oil and gas drilling.

The manufacturing was in this location first, other that a few farms and small housing developments. But the lack of zoning would allow the empty property next to your home to turn into a manufacturing facility.

This is the story of "no zoning Houston"; you can live right next to any type of commercial building and nobody is accountable for dumping 1000s of cars onto roads that do not have the capacity for the added traffic. It also allows very close contact between heavy manufacturing and residential property. This is true throughout Houston.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I also wanted to add that I don't think it's very well planned either. I think it's definitely getting better, but not there yet. I lived in Houston. I have a lot of family there, so I am still there about once a month. I will reiterate what others have said with the flooding. Even a small amount of rain will flood the city. And Houston actually gets a pretty good amount of rain, usually in short, intense showers, which makes it worse.

Despite what some news sources might say. The traffic is still horrible. I-10 is now a ridiculous number of lanes, yet it STILL backs up all the time. I also absolutely hate the fact that you have to make a u-turn (or several) to get anywhere. Like I said, the city's trying, but it's got a ways to go.
Speaking of that. There are numerous articles blaming much of the flooding on urban sprawl. How the wetlands and more are being developed on causing the water to back up, etc.

Houston flood control efforts fall behind urban sprawl :: WRAL.com

https://therivardreport.com/in-houst...l-expert-says/

Flooding? Don't blame dense urban development. - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
To bring Crossley’s vision to reality, the city will need to greatly enhance its public transit system, better maintain its sidewalks and alter more of its onerous, suburban-style parking ordinances, all of which—in their current state—conspire to make Houston pedestrian-unfriendly, flood-prone, and sprawling.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:01 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Local dictator more like it. Do you know how difficult it is to change anything in a HOA? They are designed to keep everything the way it is and never change, it is both the advantage and disadvantage of a HOA. Want to lease your extra room to a just out of college kid? Not allowed. Want to have a veggie garden in the front yard? probably not allowed. Chickens? Forbidden by the city and probably your HOA. Yay personal freedom the HOA has allowed me to paint my house two whole different colors AND they accept cash OR check for your monthly dues!!!!
Actually they are designed to try and get residents to work together to keep their neighborhood nice, but what happens is everyone leaves it for someone else to handle and that's when the tyrants sneak in.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
Houston is the best planned city in America because the land use planning was/is done by people making a buck. This means they have to know within a reasonable degree what the best use of their land is in order to make a profit. Also no zoning speeds up infill development as urban land rents increase in an area the cost effectiveness of building density increases.

Look at all the cities you urban planners like, when was much of the built form built? Was it before the 1920s? before the urban planners screwed things up, with zoning and urban renewal?

Planning is good for the core street grid and the highway networks, and rail rights of way back in the old days when it was the best available technology; so that the various networks work together. But the market always beats central planning in optimizing the utilization of resources to meet demands so it should be used as much as possible.

The best new construction areas are in Houston, TX; because the area is largely zoning free!
I think it's bad.

It wasn't planned at all, because it grew too fast. So it's haphazard, hard to get around, and traffic doesn't flow well. It's in a constant state of traffic jam and takes forever to travel places.

Instead of zoning, there are HOAs everywhere. Pricey HOAs, which adds to the cost of the already sky high property taxed (among the highest in the nation). HOAs only go UP, and there are also special assessments.

You would not be wise to buy new construction there. There could be a pig farm put in next door later.

But Houston is a fun city. Very dirty, but fun. Sky high homeowner's insurance, too, because of the natural disasters (hurricanes & floods & tornadoes).

I like Houston, but I recognize its flaws.

If you want to see an example of a well planned and funded city, look at Dallas. Despite its large area, the traffic flows, and it's easy to get to 20 or more miles away. Residential areas are protected by zoning (no pig farm going up), although zoning does change. Commercial areas are together, so it's easy to go to an area and do a lot of shopping within a small area. It's also pretty clean. Nice city (but hot hot hot).

Old 02-06-2017, 06:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Be that as it may. It's urbanity is still subpar compared to it's peers. Even the infill still half does it when it comes to building a walkable urban environment. The density increases but still remains suburban (NTTAWWT).
I think that is partially what makes it the "best planned" ... not everyone likes a "urban environment"

but again not everyone likes a "suburban environment"

Houston has a healthy medium of suburban/urban.

This here
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7482...m1!1e2!6m1!1e1

Is a perfect example of the examples i see all over Houston, many of the store fronts are set back just far enough to have one row of parking spots but its still close enough to the street to walk to and from the sidewalk.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
I'd say that's a good mix if it were a common type in the suburbs. But that's in or near the city center; so it's a poor mix.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think that is partially what makes it the "best planned" ... not everyone likes a "urban environment"

This here

Is a perfect example of the examples i see all over Houston, many of the store fronts are set back just far enough to have one row of parking spots but its still close enough to the street to walk to and from the sidewalk.
Checked out your Streetview. Definitely Houston. Doesn't have the ditches. But it has that unfinished look common.

But then I scrolled down a couple blocks and down Fargo St. Came across this block and its houses and street lay-out reminded me of 1900 built neighborhoods in Chicago that are highly desireable today be for it's bungalow belt began.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7488.../data=!5m1!1e2

Clearly look like Chicago Cottage homes.

This home listing was posted on another thread for a example of homes in Chicago having yards requested by someone moving from Brooklyn and thought it had to be in the suburbs.

The home with a barn effect roof but still a example. Its exterior front and inside to back views. Built in 1906 with 2-car garage, pool and fully finished basement.

4316 N Central Park Ave, N/A, Chicago, IL, 60618 | Virtual Tour

Its back deck and above ground pool.

4316 N Central Park Ave, Chicago, IL 60618 | MLS #09480260 | Zillow

This is a random block with some 1900 varieties. Blue collar neighborhoods. But sought after for gentrification and prices increase.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9304...nMX4F4KmDg!2e0

Just sometimes I see similarities especially in Some Houston infill.

Then it's bungalow belt began like this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9382...Gr4e-5E6ug!2e0

Old 02-08-2017, 12:11 PM

This is a good bit of what Houston's infill looks like when it comes to SFH and Townhomes. The shared driveway townhomes are popular in Houston too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7393...8i6656!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7696...8i6656!5m1!1e2

I still dislike the ordinances or rules regarding sidewalks in the city. Basically, for a city of its size, it sucks.

This is what I'm talking about

Go a couple houses down the block and you see this in front of the church.

Not a good design at all.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

This here

Far more suburban than urban. Personally, I think all parking should be behind the development. The only thing that should be in front is the sidewalk and then the street. If the parking is even in the front, it's suburban. That's me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning