Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 03:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTankah View Post
They stopped working on that extension for now.
Not enough funds.
The mbta is debt strapped in a bad way.
The governor wants to privatize it.
I say he should. Oh, and since my car taxes subsidize it, I feel that the riders should pay true and actual cost.
So instead of $2.50 for a bus, they should be paying $10.
Cause that's what it costs per person.
Be prepared for a lot more company on your favorite highways!
Of course, some pollyannas believe the private operators will replace union drivers with new ones at minimum wage and keep the fares about the same.

Last edited by pvande55; 04-29-2017 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Add line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
One secret way in which driving is subsidized: Business travel is deductible, either transit fares or vehicle operating costs. The latter can be actual cost or the standard mileage rate, presently 53 cents per mile. Of course anyone whose actual costs are below that will use the standard rate. I heard a tax preparer say about 90% do so.
So what? As you say, it's all business travel, including transit fares. Airfare as well.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:06 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So what? As you say, it's all business travel, including transit fares. Airfare as well.
My point is that if a business traveler flies or takes the train, the deduction is limited to the actual fare. But if the traveler drives, even if the actual cost is 30 cents a mile, 53 cents can be deducted. If the airfare is $150, the business cannot deduct $250.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
My point is that if a business traveler flies or takes the train, the deduction is limited to the actual fare. But if the traveler drives, even if the actual cost is 30 cents a mile, 53 cents can be deducted. If the airfare is $150, the business cannot deduct $250.
Are. You. Serious?

You urbanists go on about how much it costs to operate a car, posting all sorts of over-inflated numbers which presume that everyone buys a new car on credit every few years; puts premium gas in it and that it gets 10 mpg. There's probably such a link on this thread, but I'm too lazy to search for it right now. Now you're telling us you can actually run a car for less than the standard amount allowed by the IRS? I guess, if you drive a Prius or a Kia Optima hybrid, or a Tesla that is 10+ years old, maybe yes. When I was a visiting nurse I did get paid mileage, however, I hardly thought it was overly generous and I certainly didn't consider it a subsidy, considering the extra miles put on my car and the business insurance I needed to buy. Give Me A Break!

Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Of course he's serious. It's still an example of a subsidy; none of your post actually disproves that. What other urbanists have said isn't in his argument.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Of course he's serious. It's still an example of a subsidy; none of your post actually disproves that. What other urbanists have said isn't in his argument.
How is it a road subsidy? You get paid for the operating costs and wear and tear on your car! There is no way mileage reimbursement is a road subsidy. Ask any salesperson, visiting nurse, other professional who drives on the job. They're not making money on this. Some unidentified tax preparer is part of his argument, and the guy may have just been BS-ing.

Re: Are. You. Serious?-what I really wanted to say was "Oh, for God's sake". So I cleaned it up a little and then you call me out on it. How about this: "J**** C*****! That's totally ridiculous!"

Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
How is it a road subsidy? You get paid for the operating costs and wear and tear on your car! There is no way mileage reimbursement is a road subsidy. Ask any salesperson, visiting nurse, other professional who drives on the job. They're not making money on this. Some unidentified tax preparer is part of his argument, and the guy may have just been BS-ing.
It's a driving subsidy, he said in his post "driving subsidy". I've gotten reimbursed for driving for work; well over the actual cost. Was paid by a private group but if I had taken the bus I would have gotten less! I'm not sure how it could be deducted for taxes. The IRS rate 53¢ / mile = $5300 / year for 10,000 miles / year. Yes some urbanists have quote as high or higher costs. Also depends on if you think the car purchase cost rather than the mileage cost should be in the rate, it's definitely high for additional cost

Quote:
Re: Are. You. Serious?-what I really wanted to say was "Oh, for God's sake".
all of those just seem grating to me, and make me want to disagree for the sake of it...

Old 04-29-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
It's a driving subsidy, he said in his post "driving subsidy". I've gotten reimbursed for driving for work; well over the actual cost. Was paid by a private group but if I had taken the bus I would have gotten less! I'm not sure how it could be deducted for taxes. The IRS rate 53¢ / mile = $5300 / year for 10,000 miles / year. Yes some urbanists have quote as high or higher costs. Also depends on if you think the car purchase cost rather than the mileage cost should be in the rate, it's definitely high for additional cost

all of those just seem grating to me, and make me want to disagree for the sake of it...
How is a visiting nurse supposed to see her patients if she has to spend hours on the bus? What if the bus doesn't go to the patient's home? Do you, or pvande55 really think the job requires you to drive so roads can be subsidized? That is the craziest thing I've heard in a long time, even here on CD, and the reason for my astonished tone at the beginning of my post.

You can take the deduction if you don't get reimbursed.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
How is a visiting nurse supposed to see her patients if she has to spend hours on the bus? What if the bus doesn't go to the patient's home? Do you, or pvande55 really think the job requires you to drive so roads can be subsidized? That is the craziest thing I've heard in a long time, even here on CD, and the reason for my astonished tone at the beginning of my post.
Huh? Why that be relevant to whether it's a subsidy or not. Subsidy = $ amount received > $ amount paid; whether the driving is needed for the job is irrelevant.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Huh? Why that be relevant to whether it's a subsidy or not. Subsidy = $ amount received > $ amount paid; whether the driving is needed for the job is irrelevant.
What are you flipping talking about? It's a reimbursement for expenses incurred in the act of doing the job! After the fact, too. It's hardly a subsidy. That's nonsense! You have to keep records of miles driven, parking fees paid, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning