Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

I wasn't arguing the subsidy was a problem, nor that it should be removed. Your responses felt like you thought I was saying something else. I was considering only operating costs since presumably the worker would have the car regardless.

I certainly thought the times I've gotten compensated was very generous beyond any wear and tear additional mileage would bring; but my car was paid for long before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 AM

937 posts, read 699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
On a per-passenger mile basis, every form of public transportation is subsidized more than the automobile... a lot more.
No it's not, ever hear of the Interstate Highway System?

Old 05-11-2017, 07:45 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
That was built based upon the imposition of a Federal gasoline tax. Initially it was for general revenue, and floated between $0.01 and %0.15 a gallon. It was raised to $0.03 a gallon in 1956 and $0.04 a gallon in 1959. That was a big percentage of what was then quarter a gallon gasoline. In stages that has increased to the current level of $0.184 a gallon in 1997. States impose their own taxes. In New York the aggregate of Federal, State and local taxes is about $0.69 a gallon (see article, link). Some of that money is diverted to general revenues. But it is very unclear that their is much subsidy of roads.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Ever hear of buses using these roads?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ever hear of buses using these roads?
not much, most buses use local roads. Also was existing express transportation infrastructure — rail. Highways don't give an extra benefit to transit.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
not much, most buses use local roads. Also was existing express transportation infrastructure — rail. Highways don't give an extra benefit to transit.
Intercity buses most certainly do use the interstates a lot. In addition, the RTD Denver buses do use the interstates, and in fact have some special lanes for doing so. They also use US Highway 36, which is a federal road.
RTD
RTD

Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Intercity buses most certainly do use the interstates a lot.
True, though rail provides the same service or better; the interstates didn't provide any benefit for mass transit . Though any intercity bus from New England to NYC has no interstate connection and crawls on city streets for 40 minutes. Boston has a good connection, but interstates have traffic jams.

Quote:
In addition, the RTD Denver buses do use the interstates, and in fact have some special lanes for doing so.
There's one express bus in near Springfield that us; Hartford area buses do use the interstates a bit. NYC and Boston area transit rarely uses highways; there's rail.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
True, though rail provides the same service or better; the interstates didn't provide any benefit for mass transit . Though any intercity bus from New England to NYC has no interstate connection and crawls on city streets for 40 minutes. Boston has a good connection, but interstates have traffic jams.

There's one express bus in near Springfield that us; Hartford area buses do use the interstates a bit. NYC and Boston area transit rarely uses highways; there's rail.
At the risky of sounding snarky , Boston and NYC are not the "gold standard" for the entire country. It's hard to get anywhere in Denver w/o using some interstate or another, mostly I-25 and its tributaries. Many of the express buses use the interstates.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
At the risky of sounding snarky , Boston and NYC are not the "gold standard" for the entire country. It's hard to get anywhere in Denver w/o using some interstate or another, mostly I-25 and its tributaries. Many of the express buses use the interstates.
They're the two closest large cities to me, so they what's relevant to me. Same reason you bring up Denver? Again, as I said many times, posting about Boston and NYC isn't making a statement about the whole country nor that they're "gold standard". Are your posts about Denver meant to? I wouldn't assume so unless you stated so. I haven't lived in most of the country; my experience is don't hear of "buses using interstates" much at all.

The Northeast has a larger network of older rail infrastructure than most of the country; rail replaces a lot of express buses.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
They're the two closest large cities to me, so they what's relevant to me. Same reason you bring up Denver? Again, as I said many times, posting about Boston and NYC isn't making a statement about the whole country nor that they're "gold standard". Are your posts about Denver meant to? I wouldn't assume so unless you stated so. I haven't lived in most of the country; my experience is don't hear of "buses using interstates" much at all.

The Northeast has a larger network of older rail infrastructure than most of the country; rail replaces a lot of express buses.
You and I like to post what we know, contrary to a lot of people on CD. However, I'm just pointing out that what you know is not necessarily how it is everywhere.

I-25 is literally the "main drag" through the Denver metro area.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-11-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning