Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times

Advertisements

This is probably throwing down some red meat. The stereotype is likely either the culdesac/shopping mall/office park or the established railroad suburb with good commuter rail and great schools. But of course there are many types, including the industrial and the corporate suburb. I once stated a mathematic rule bases on population and distance. But I believe the following are also indicators:

Sharing a border with large city.
Having a substantial (over 25%) of working population working in large city or over 25% of local workers living in large city.
Zoning out heavy industry or housing under $350K. Bonus points for having been sued over restrictions.
Having sports team with name of large city.
No local TV station, served by one in large city.

Some other rules of thumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 04:39 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Dictionary.com

Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
This is probably throwing down some red meat. The stereotype is likely either the culdesac/shopping mall/office park or the established railroad suburb with good commuter rail and great schools. But of course there are many types, including the industrial and the corporate suburb. I once stated a mathematic rule bases on population and distance. But I believe the following are also indicators:

Having a substantial (over 25%) of working population working in large city or over 25% of local workers living in large city.
Zoning out heavy industry or housing under $350K. Bonus points for having been sued over restrictions.

We've discussed this before. I think nei will have a stroke when he sees this. Meanwhile-
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No. Actually, most of our newer teams here in CO are called "Colorado", including the Rockies and Avalanche, who play in Denver.
5. No.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:24 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
To me, it is economic and political integration with the core city. For example, cities that are within the same county and have close economic ties qualify as suburbs, while those in separate counties and have more economic independence don't. This is why to me Long Beach, CA qualifies as a suburb of Los Angeles, while Fort Worth, TX does not qualify as a suburb of Dallas.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We've discussed this before. I think nei will have a stroke when he sees this.
Why?

I'd say no for pvande55 for all. However, his criteria does reflect a certain type of bedroom suburb.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
The definition gets fuzzy where a city is so large some parts of it are suburbs of a more urban center.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why?

I'd say no for pvande55 for all. However, his criteria does reflect a certain type of bedroom suburb.
I thought we weren't doing any more of these "definition of 'suburb' " threads again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
To me, it is economic and political integration with the core city. For example, cities that are within the same county and have close economic ties qualify as suburbs, while those in separate counties and have more economic independence don't. This is why to me Long Beach, CA qualifies as a suburb of Los Angeles, while Fort Worth, TX does not qualify as a suburb of Dallas.
Denver is a separate county; St. Louis is a separate county; most cities in Virginia are not in a county, etc.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:07 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I thought we weren't doing any more of these "definition of 'suburb' " threads again.

Denver is a separate county; St. Louis is a separate county; most cities in Virginia are not in a county, etc.
Originally; a County, in Europe centuries ago, was a region under the jurisdiction of a Count, e.g. Dracula. In most States, cities are still within the County jurisdiction.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally; a County, in Europe centuries ago, was a region under the jurisdiction of a Count, e.g. Dracula. In most States, cities are still within the County jurisdiction.
Interesting history, though I'd like to see a citation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Massachusetts
Massachusetts has gotten rid of some counties.

Here's another interesting link:
List of Consolidated City-County Governments | National League of Cities

Independent cities (not part of counties):
Independent city - Conservapedia

Don't assume every place is like where you live.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:52 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
Quote:
????????
City boundaries are independent of county boundaries. You can have a city completely contained within a county or its territory can spread into two more more counties. Cities and counties do not share "jurisdiction". Generally you do not have two political subdivision of a state with the same management authority over the same territory at the same time.

Quote:

How about starting over?
"sharing a border with large city" - you can have two cities adjacent each other. Is the smaller one always denigrated as a "suburb" simply because of population? An area within a city can also share a border with the city. Did you intend to include city periphery as a "suburb"?

"Having a substantial (over 25%) of working population working in large city or over 25% of local workers living in large city." - By that definition a city can be a suburb of itself. Is that what you intended?

"Zoning out heavy industry or housing under $350K. Bonus points for having been sued over restrictions." Well you would get sued for having a zoning threshold that excluded housing based on price. Why is getting sued over restrictions "worse" than getting sued for "zoning"? In case you haven't noticed cities have been mandating restrictions for decades in many party of the country as part of a development agreement with the developer. "Restrictions" occur within cities and any where there is new development and it has been that way for decades.

"Having sports team with name of large city." - Hmmm. By that definition a city can be a suburb of itself. Is that what you intended?

"No local TV station, served by one in large city." That's a really poor test.

The original post just exhibits the inanity of this categorization game. The reality is that "suburb" is any area that urbanophiles don't like. They can't explain it exactly other than if it has oppressive population or population density then it's "urban".

Last edited by IC_deLight; 05-29-2017 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning