Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
"That landlord is the Kensington and Chelsea Tenants Management Organisation (KCTMO), a for-profit company in charge of refurbishment and maintenance of the building. The building is owned by the local borough of Kensington and Chelsea—London’s wealthiest borough. In a trend now typical across London, the borough contracted KCTMO to refurbish the tower, in part to increase the number of apartments available for private rent or sale. That work left the tower with just one staircase and exit—an exit that the management company has failed to keep clear. Protests about the safety of the people living in the tower fell on deaf ears."

For profit management of a publicly-owned entity is a bigger factor than the density of the building.

The Grenfell Tower Fire and London's Public-Housing Crisis - The Atlantic

No building codes over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I blame building codes for fire safety not being retroactive.

This CBC article was in response to the fire in London, since many Vancouver residents, like myself, live in high-rises.

Towering inferno unlikely in Vancouver high-rise, says fire expert - British Columbia - CBC News
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
No building codes over there?
Taking these two together, I heard on the radio this morning that the building met all safety codes.
Materials Used In London Building Under Scrutiny After Deadly Fire : NPR
You can listen to this story now; there will probably be a transcript later.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,906 times
Default Probably Arson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So what do you density advocates think of this? Little kids trapped, people trying to jump from high floors, etc.
'A Number Of Fatalities' In Massive London Building Fire : NPR
ISIS loves doing stuff with fire, they probably set-it in a few places in that tower. It was completely engulfed no way that happened by itself?

Last edited by SailCT; 06-16-2017 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Taking these two together, I heard on the radio this morning that the building met all safety codes.
the exterior tiles would not be permitted in the US and Germany; not sure about Canadian regulations. No sprinklers would generally not be to code here either.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
How does what I wrote imply that I think the deaths are "no biggie"?

Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Met all safety codes for London. You can't put the two together equally. If they had met the safety codes of jurisdictions that have better codes, then the tragedy may have turned out differently.

You asked what density advocates think. My answer is the same. Improve codes in jurisdictions where they are lacking.

Fire safety isn't about density per se. Thousands die in house fires every year around the world. You are only hearing about this story because A) there was a large number of deaths
B) It took place in an internationally important city
C) Media salivated over the amount of photos and videos taken

How many suburban home fire deaths have occurred in the US in the last year? Are you questioning suburban advocates on what they think of suburbia now? Or are you questioning fire codes in houses?

Old 06-16-2017, 12:18 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
Quote:
Met all safety codes for London. You can't put the two together equally. If they had met the safety codes of jurisdictions that have better codes, then the tragedy may have turned out differently.
?? codes/statutes/etc. are inherently jurisdictional. Should the building also have been built pursuant to earthquake-related standards, mudslide/land movement codes, subsidence codes, in all other jurisdictions? Maybe they should rely on their own codes appropriate for their geographical location.

Quote:
You asked what density advocates think. My answer is the same. Improve codes in jurisdictions where they are lacking.
Ah, so you are a density advocate?

Quote:
Fire safety isn't about density per se. Thousands die in house fires every year around the world.
Diversionary tactic?
There are also far more people in the aggregate that live in houses than in residential towers.
A single house fire does not kill 30+ people.
Density puts all others at risk when only a few are problematic. One of the many cons of density.

Quote:
You are only hearing about this story because A) there was a large number of deaths
B) It took place in an internationally important city
C) Media salivated over the amount of photos and videos taken
...and other jurisdictions fearful of protecting their housing markets are quick to generate propaganda such as "it can't happen here" or "it is unlikely to happen here" in an effort to protect occupancy rates and condo sales.

Quote:
How many suburban home fire deaths have occurred in the US in the last year? Are you questioning suburban advocates on what they think of suburbia now? Or are you questioning fire codes in houses?
Who knows but one difference is that the fire tends to be contained to the house where it originated. In higher density housing, the more you cram together the closer you are to prospective originators and the end result of their acts, omissions, or accidents because you decided to live in connected/attached living units.

NFPA estimates 1 out of every 320 households per year has a fire. The term "households" includes ALL types of living units. When you put more households in the same building, there is a greater than 1/320 probability of a fire in the building - because there are more households. There will be more deaths in the aggregate from detached home fires simply because there are far more detached housing units than there are attached households.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
NFPA estimates 1 out of every 320 households per year has a fire. The term "households" includes ALL types of living units. When you put more households in the same building, there is a greater than 1/320 probability of a fire in the building - because there are more households.
It'd be useful to compare actual incident rate by building type

Quote:
There will be more deaths in the aggregate from detached home fires simply because there are far more detached housing units than there are attached households.
that's not true; detached housing units make up about 60% of housing units. Though of course, many of the attached households aren't in high rise but in rowhomes or townhomes or just small buildings.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic_delight View Post
?? Codes/statutes/etc. Are inherently jurisdictional. Should the building also have been built pursuant to earthquake-related standards, mudslide/land movement codes, subsidence codes, in all other jurisdictions? Maybe they should rely on their own codes appropriate for their geographical location.

did i say all jurisdictions should have the same codes? No. Specific threats like earthquakes are of course geographical. Fires...not so much.

ah, so you are a density advocate?

yes.

Diversionary tactic?
There are also far more people in the aggregate that live in houses than in residential towers.
A single house fire does not kill 30+ people.
Density puts all others at risk when only a few are problematic. One of the many cons of density.

diversion? Density doesn't have to equal dangerous living if the codes are high enough. I heard that there weren't even any fire alarms in the london building? My building has fire alarms, smoke detectors, emergency communication speakers in all suites, two fire exit staircases that are separately ventilated form the hallways, and construction to contain fires to a small area.

I feel safe.

...and other jurisdictions fearful of protecting their housing markets are quick to generate propaganda such as "it can't happen here" or "it is unlikely to happen here" in an effort to protect occupancy rates and condo sales.

proof? It is simply absurd.

who knows but one difference is that the fire tends to be contained to the house where it originated. In higher density housing, the more you cram together the closer you are to prospective originators and the end result of their acts, omissions, or accidents because you decided to live in connected/attached living units.

Nfpa estimates 1 out of every 320 households per year has a fire. The term "households" includes all types of living units. When you put more households in the same building, there is a greater than 1/320 probability of a fire in the building - because there are more households. There will be more deaths in the aggregate from detached home fires simply because there are far more detached housing units than there are attached households.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:04 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
I haven't listened to the story, yet. (at work) But, as I said earlier, I suspect that the UK/London will be taking a close look at their building codes, to make sure something like this is less likely to happen in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning