Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are HOV Lanes Worthwhile?
Yes, the positives of HOV lanes far outweigh the negatives and should be kept in place 11 26.19%
Mixed - there are positives and negatives but we should keep them for now 12 28.57%
No, HOV lanes are a failed experiment and should be converted to normal lanes 19 45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:40 PM

461 posts, read 509,213 times

Advertisements

I live in the Dallas area and the HOV is a great addition. The extra lane itself it great. I doubt many car poolers use it but that doesn't bother me. It used to take me 40 minutes to go 19 miles to work due to traffic. When the HOV lanes were closed for repairs my commute time went to an hour and half to two hours due to the increased traffic due to the decreased lane! Of course there were regular crashes or breakdowns in that lane which would snarl up traffic for hours. Our HOV lanes are to the far left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:43 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never seen an HOV lane on the far right, but it strikes me as a really dumb idea. In general, the farther left you go, the faster the traffic moves. Partly this is do to regulations and custom, but partly it's a function of fewer possible conflicts. On an expressway with three lanes in each direction, the one on the right is going to have lots of merges and de-merges (if that's a real word) as people enter and exit the highway. The middle lane will have people merging over to avoid the slower traffic in the right lane or to make room for someone merging on, as well as people merging over from the left after they've passed someone. But the left lane will have the fewest possible conflicts; no one from the left side, and on the right side only people who want to travel the fastest (and are likely going greater distances as well) or passing someone in the middle lane.

Given all that, in normal peak-hour conditions, the HOV lane will -- by design -- have the highest speeds. So why not make it the lane that will nearly always default to the highest speed anyway? Putting it on the right side seems like a recipe for having sub optimal performance in that lane.

All that said, the issue of carpoolers weaving in and out of the other lanes to get to and from the HOV lanes, and having to sharply accelerate to enter them and sharply decelerate to exit them, is a real concern. Though it's much more expensive, the only real solution is to have separate on-off ramps just for the HOV lanes.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I'm in favor of HOV lanes. They make bus operations much faster and more reliable, which in turn makes them more attractive and draws higher ridership.
Washington also has separate exits for hov lanes in some of the more busier exits, I'll show you some examples

HOV exits
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3177...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8131...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5796...2!8i6656?hl=en

HOV bus stop
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7865...2!8i6656?hl=en

HOV lanes on the far right
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6301...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3277...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7579...2!8i6656?hl=en

However some WA state highways have it on the far left
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3896...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
Vancouver has some us-only lanes on the right side of the freeways.

The people who ***** about HOV lanes are the same ones that wouldn't car-pool or take transit if their lives depended on it.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:35 PM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
Interesting comments. The vote appears to be evenly split, although there are still some reservations in those voting for the second option. I really haven't lived anywhere else that had HOV lanes to get a good feel for how it works in other cities compared to here in Phoenix. Maybe the issues I have seen are more of a local phenomenon. Also sounds like not all areas operate their HOV lanes the same way, so that could also play into it. Keep the comments coming!

Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
I believe carpooling is becoming ever more impractical with fewer and fewer people in the white-collar workforce having consistent hours. Even if I wanted to, I can't carpool, because what do I do when I get stuck at work until 7pm one night? Or when I decide to come in at 10 the next day because of working late before?

I'd like to see them all made HOT lanes at minimum to get maximum utilization when there aren't enough carpoolers or buses to be utilizing the HOV lane significantly.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I believe carpooling is becoming ever more impractical with fewer and fewer people in the white-collar workforce having consistent hours. Even if I wanted to, I can't carpool, because what do I do when I get stuck at work until 7pm one night? Or when I decide to come in at 10 the next day because of working late before?

I'd like to see them all made HOT lanes at minimum to get maximum utilization when there aren't enough carpoolers or buses to be utilizing the HOV lane significantly.
My Old Employer had a "Guaranteed ride home program" if you were a registered car pooler, and your Car Partner had to: Leave Early for a Emergency, Stay late for work. (Or if you had to leave early, Stay late) In about 10 year the "guaranteed ride home" was used about 15 times, in one of the western NJ office.

The company would "Get you Home", by either using a Car Service (Black Car or Uber now), or at one office they would rent a car and pay for it for you to get you home.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:55 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My Old Employer had a "Guaranteed ride home program" if you were a registered car pooler, and your Car Partner had to: Leave Early for a Emergency, Stay late for work. (Or if you had to leave early, Stay late) In about 10 year the "guaranteed ride home" was used about 15 times, in one of the western NJ office.

The company would "Get you Home", by either using a Car Service (Black Car or Uber now), or at one office they would rent a car and pay for it for you to get you home.
Yeah, I've seen offices with programs like that. That only really works when my examples are rare exceptions to a normally stable schedule though, which is not the nature of modern work.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Yeah, I've seen offices with programs like that. That only really works when my examples are rare exceptions to a normally stable schedule though, which is not the nature of modern work.
Carpooling was not a huge percentage of the workforce, The Western NJ Office had WF of ~600 about ~50-60 Carpoolers, (There were about 30 cars or so in the "Good" parking spaces, Front Row).

It was All IT people, Mostly the reason for needing the Emergency Ride Home was due to someone that had to leave early for a emergency, Sometimes staying late to work on a problem. (Everyone had at home access).

Often times if the Car Driver had to leave early (or there rider) for some issue (Other then life or death), They both would just leave, and Non Emergency Person would just work from home the rest of the day.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Vancouver has some us-only lanes on the right side of the freeways.

The people who ***** about HOV lanes are the same ones that wouldn't car-pool or take transit if their lives depended on it.
I hate HOV lanes and I take transit, but only because my life (or employment anyway) depends on it. Took me 2 hours to go 20 miles today.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:46 PM

101 posts, read 91,735 times
Jakarta removed theirs and their already bad congestion became a whole lot worse. A city scraps its HOV lanes. Disaster ensues. - Jul. 6, 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning