Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Where I live in a suburb of Hartford may be an example. I have a bunch of Millennial neighbors. They live here in suburbs in a large town with easy access to everything. Because they still like walking to the library and being at a nice restaurant in 5 minutes. But having a yard. I think that bodes well for inner suburbs but maybe not so much for exurbs. I have also been asking people that move out (I live in an area of smaller homes) where they are headed. Most seem to be staying in town or in a neighboring suburb. Only a couple have mentioned moving to a more rural exurb.
Yeah, but Hartford is a failed city. $29.5k median household income. A smattering of young office workers living among the downtown office towers but with the failed school system and the food desert, they bail out if they marry and have children.

With today's low birthrates among college educated people, the urban areas with high wage jobs are booming. We don't have anything like the flight to the suburbs of previous generations because there's no school system to worry about. That creates critical mass where at least some married with children do alternatives to the lousy city public schools.

The US refuses to invest in public transportation infrastructure. If you can't get to your high wage downtown office tower job from the suburbs, you have a lot more incentive to live close to your job. I think that is what drives urban revival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
I believe our cities ARE BECOMING more as the European models..... the RICHER in the Cores and much more of the city. With poorer areas outside or pushed further from cores in major cities.

I agree with ALL the comments - if only Public schools could be GREAT in our major cities. THE BOOM would be .... far less one sided. Earlier waves of Young Professionals. Would STAY in the cities once they chose to have children? Instead of more choosing suburbs then.... over cost of Private city schools or trying for Charter schools.

But OUR CITIES - GREATLY NEEDED THIS RESTORATION OF ITS CORES and ringing neighborhoods. If it DID NOT COME? Far more cities would have been in bankruptcy I believe?

I knew Chicago's core in the 80s yet. Had some of its iconic skyscrapers then. But NOT the VIBRANCY and LIFE as today. It had CITY INVESTING AND CORPORATE AMERICA still seeing far more potential.... continue fining its potential. Despite DEBT in investing in projects to improve its core and city with tourism in mind too? The SUCESSES might have been lower? NO ONE TODAY can deny its Navy Pier to Millennium/Maggie Daley Parks investments ....were not TOTAL SUCESSES. Its keeping the city green with planters and flowers too and even totally replacing reproduction street-lights (as it once had) was a GREAT choice in its Loop district.

Despite the city's flaws, debt and political wrangling's? It has attained COMPLETE SUCESS IN EVERY INVESTMENT THE CITY MADE and its improvements that continues Corporate and Private citizens investment and Gentrification. To make it a Quint-Essential American downtown and Core in general. Again, despite especially its continued Pension debt issues and Public schools that could hurt, even more in the future? It's amazing the debt even SUNBELT CITIES are accumulating.... including pension debt too and schools still not best.

But still ..... sustaining this ongoing boom in its core. Is desired to be maintained and gentrification continue. This goes for ALL OUR MAJOR CITIES. LET ONLY A ECONOMIC DOWNTURN EFFECT IT, BUT ... NOT STOP IT. Some Northern cities, still have some lagging more then others in the rust-belt.... but all still getting it as reinvigoration CORES OUTWARD continues.

Mass transit also still needs more prioritizing. It is a LUXURY to not have long drives to work and especially .... to have mass transit, biking and walking even to work places. That places some cities with a advantage just by that.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, but Hartford is a failed city. $29.5k median household income. A smattering of young office workers living among the downtown office towers but with the failed school system and the food desert, they bail out if they marry and have children.

With today's low birthrates among college educated people, the urban areas with high wage jobs are booming. We don't have anything like the flight to the suburbs of previous generations because there's no school system to worry about. That creates critical mass where at least some married with children do alternatives to the lousy city public schools.

The US refuses to invest in public transportation infrastructure. If you can't get to your high wage downtown office tower job from the suburbs, you have a lot more incentive to live close to your job. I think that is what drives urban revival.
That may be true, but I have also started to see some former classmates who moved to Boston and NYC and I notice on social media as they have kids they seem to be moving out further from the core. For instance moving from Hells Kitchen to Darien. Or from Charleston out to Woburn.

People are having kid's later and as you said to some degree less. Those people will stay in the city longer and I doubt you will see cities collapse like in the 70's but I also think the growth will slow to an almost tiny amount as the middle and upper middle with kids settle back in the suburbs. I doubt they will want to give up everything so I assume closer in suburbs will do better but who knows.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Their parents lived in a suburban McMansion and commuted less than an hour to work, because the jobs were out in the suburbs too.
Good point. Many of the people in my city who have moved to the urban core are actually increasing their commutes because, while housing and some retail is starting to favor downtown, the jobs remain in the suburbs.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Good point. Many of the people in my city who have moved to the urban core are actually increasing their commutes because, while housing and some retail is starting to favor downtown, the jobs remain in the suburbs.
That's why I moved to Philadelphia. I was sick of all the jobs being outside the city. Too many jobs are still flung out around KOP, but at least there is a sizable presence of jobs in Center City.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
The high rise is nearly over. Developers may still have money and fuel to build for a while despite nobody buying and million dollar condos become worthless. Then the empty hulks sit abandoned until people want the scrap metal or decide they should start knocking down sniper towers.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
No, urban renewal is still occuring in NYC from what I'm seeing

Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With today's low birthrates among college educated people, the urban areas with high wage jobs are booming. We don't have anything like the flight to the suburbs of previous generations
...yet.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:40 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Successful people are moving both into and out of cities. The urban revival is not over, but it will slow down materially if young parents have to hustle to get into the few good charter schools or pay a fortune for true private school. Many city neighborhoods are now safe and pleasant, but terrible public schools are a deal breaker for many parents.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Forever motion of relevance occurring. Increasing variety of habitable sanctuaries we call our own relative atmosphere. Expanding upon vast variety between various major cities that are inviting to citizens of any country. Universal not just national equal rational foundations. If there are communities rising up with modifications constantly going on, there is always significant entities that are urgent to fix. Welcome to our own immeasurable cleverness or marketable talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning