Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 05:26 PM

247 posts, read 181,038 times

Advertisements

We are being indoctrinated to accept ugliness as a form of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GapUEKYLE1o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post

Leaving aside for now where this fellow holds forth, I must still also ask: "We" where?

Most US cities have knocked down their Municipal Flatblock 18A towers for the poor and replaced them with developments that look like suburban garden apartments or townhouses (in one case here, they mimic the 19th-century rowhouses that surround the site).

You may recall that Prince Charles, after trashing a purely modernist addition to Britain's National Gallery, turned to one of Philadelphia's most admired postmodern architecture firms, Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates, to produce an addition that fit in with its context while nonetheless departing from the rigid proportions of the past. This same firm has won great acclaim for some very sensitive restorations of some historic Frank Furness landmark buildings as well.

I'd say that the duo who wrote Learning from Las Vegas are just about the antithesis of the architects this guy rails against - and that Americans haven't gone as far down the road of swallowing modernist nostrums whole, thanks to the presence of people like Robert Venturi, Denise Scott Brown and (yes) Jane Jacobs.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
I can't believe Louis Sullivan was used as a modernist bland Architect? I could see Ludwig Miss Van der Rohr .... he definitely inspired and created the simple BOX "Less is more" style.

But Louis Sullivan did STUNNING Examples of EARLY MODERN AMERICAN Urban Architecture. He did early skyscrapers that HAD STYLE and FORM that was far from a simple box.

Chicago's downtown has many examples still standing today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI4oGSd3vDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4WG7TSkew

In viewing his buildings and designs .... especially interiors too. To accuse him of BLAND ARCHITECTURE ... to me is ridicule.

It is more sad that his styles were not to be many more decades to come. Though Art Deco came and did still great designs.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:31 PM

755 posts, read 570,639 times
Just to let you know, Paul Joseph Watson is know for being a troll, & making rants w/o seeing the full picture. But I think he can be funny

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
LOL anyone that can actually make it through more than 30 seconds I tip my hat to.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:29 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:

So much wrong with the video..... Also he seems to confuse the design of the buildings with a fundamental lack of maintenance. Any building left unattended to is gonna look rundown and evidently attract riff raff. Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo have thousands of modernist mid rise tower blocks and all three cities have astronomically low crime rates and a good standard of living. If it was the design of the buildings that effected behavior, how can this be possibly be explained?

Hilarious that he showed Unité d'habitation as an example of bad architecture when the apartments in the building are highly sought after. If the residents want to live there and they like it, how can it be considered bad architecture?

The video was so bad, it pained me to watch it.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM

839 posts, read 735,080 times
The guy in the original video is a right-wing snowflake who, just like his ilk, gets triggered by almost everything.

That being said, the following probably makes more sense.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Just to let you know, Paul Joseph Watson is know for being a troll, & making rants w/o seeing the full picture. But I think he can be funny
Paul Joseph Watson is also known for being a conspiracy theorist and part of what he calls the New-Right and is closely involved with inf wars and Alex Jones, as well as having an association with people such as Tommy Robinson, Lauren Southern, Rebel TV and numerous other right wing media and individuals.

Paul Joseph Watson - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-16-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 04:01 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
The guy in the original video is a right-wing snowflake who, just like his ilk, gets triggered by almost everything.

That being said, the following probably makes more sense.

These are much better then the PJW vid. That said the first videos' take what makes a city attractive is far to narrow in scope and has some serious flaws in its assessment. For one, limiting building height doesn't detract for a cities overall attractiveness. Second there are unattractive cities which are nice places to life day to day and very attractive cities that are not. Venice springs to mind.

The whole approach to what they consider to be the qualities of a beautiful city is far to eurocentric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning