U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:17 PM

245 posts, read 138,326 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,130,834 times
Response

1. "Talk more: we need urban living rooms" - urbanists need to stop trying to force people to live in cramped quarters with promises of "shared space". The shared space idea is largely a liability and frequently not the least bit enjoyable. Here's what your "shared space" ends up giving way to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGpEkS8XNxE

2. "Buy a pot, some soil and a seed: green your street" - well it's not "your street" so don't put in in the street. Put it on your own property. Of course if you live in the type of housing promoted by high-density urbanists (condos) you may be prohibited from even being able to place plants or really anything else

3. "Say yes, don't be rule obsessed" - funny, it's urbanists that promote cities over people and cities inevitably try to exert ever more control (via rules and ordinances) over the people living there. The way to solve that is to not have a city.

After viewing the rest of the video it is apparent there is a conflict in what the author wants (a city) and how the author wants the city to be. It's like asking for something to be stripped of what makes it that something. A city adopting ordinances that prohibit night activities, limit licenses, and other items complained of in the video is the very nature of a city. That's what they do - impose ever more restrictions on people and property.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
1. "Talk more: we need urban living rooms" - urbanists need to stop trying to force people to live in cramped quarters with promises of "shared space". The shared space idea is largely a liability and frequently not the least bit enjoyable.
Shared Spaces in London

Quote:
2. "Buy a pot, some soil and a seed: green your street" - well it's not "your street" so don't put in in the street. Put it on your own property. Of course if you live in the type of housing promoted by high-density urbanists (condos) you may be prohibited from even being able to place plants or really anything else
Wisteria Hysteria in London

Quote:
3. "Say yes, don't be rule obsessed" - funny, it's urbanists that promote cities over people and cities inevitably try to exert ever more control (via rules and ordinances) over the people living there. The way to solve that is to not have a city.
Street Parties in London

"Jaywalking" in London (Yes you can!)

Street Art in London

Quote:
After viewing the rest of the video it is apparent there is a conflict in what the author wants (a city) and how the author wants the city to be. It's like asking for something to be stripped of what makes it that something. A city adopting ordinances that prohibit night activities, limit licenses, and other items complained of in the video is the very nature of a city. That's what they do - impose ever more restrictions on people and property.
London appoints American comedian as Night Mayor

Countdown to a non-stop capital: London goes 24-hour

Old 09-15-2018, 02:24 PM

681 posts, read 216,612 times
How to build a better city is the subject of the entire Urban Planning forum. 77 pages of threads won't fit in 1 post or 1 thread.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
How to build a better city is the subject of the entire Urban Planning forum. 77 pages of threads won't fit in 1 post or 1 thread.
Would you like to comment on the video at least?

Old 09-16-2018, 05:22 PM

3,474 posts, read 1,672,690 times
Quote:
Response

1. "Talk more: we need urban living rooms" - urbanists need to stop trying to force people to live in cramped quarters with promises of "shared space". The shared space idea is largely a liability and frequently not the least bit enjoyable. Here's what your "shared space" ends up giving way to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGpEkS8XNxE

Once again, that's painting with too broad a brush.

In many cities, including the one where I live, sidewalks are the responsibility of the abutting property owner, who may put planters on them if he or she so chooses. Philadelphia actually has a program that encourages the planting of street and sidewalk trees citywide. (Sidewalk trees are the responsibility of the city's Parks and Recreation Department, but there are also volunteer tree tenders who perform minor caretaking on them.)

And of course, window boxes like the ones depicted in the video are entirely up to the property owner.

A public square does not necessarily end up colonized by homeless people and trash. Well-designed public spaces that get adopted by a cross-section of the public often police themselves, especially if private support groups help keep them clean and well maintained. Again, we have a local example in Rittenhouse Square. (Washington Square also qualifies, but the National Park Service handles all the caretaking and policing there. There's also a summer "pop-up" park on the Delaware riverfront here that has been hugely popular with the locals since it first appeared five years ago. "Placemaking" definitely has its place.

Builders, at least the ones I talk with here, also like density, as it allows them to earn higher profits on a parcel of land. It also makes more affordable housing easier as per-unit costs fall. There are also politicians here who have moved to downzone, not upzone, some close-in neighborhoods, in sync with what they say their constituents want.

Business interests in my hometown pushed to have the state law closing bars at 1 a.m. changed to allow them to stay open later - and City Hall backed them. The state ended up passing a bill that allowed them to stay open until 4 a.m. in "convention trade zones" - which Kansas City moved to have apply to the city as a whole.

And finally: Human beings are social animals. Most of us, even those living in the suburbs, desire interaction with others. That sort of interaction occurrs spontaneously more often and more easily in urban environments than in suburban ones. That's one reason why developers in many cities are busy building simulated urban centers on the suburban fringe.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Shared Spaces in London[...]
The images didn't copy, but one in particular struck a nerve:

Here's a fuller description of the site of the rendering above:

CCD Parks | Dilworth Park - Center City District

And people actually do use it as depicted in that rendering:

I've taken my shoes off and run or danced barefoot through the fountains of this plaza on the west side of Philadelphia's magnificent City Hall on several occasions, including a couple of annual bashes sponsored by my employer.

I think you would enjoy a visit to Philadelphia, ilovelondon. You might find our rectilinear street grid enervating, as your fellow countryman Charles Dickens did, but there's a lot about this city's built and cultural environment that will remind you of your beloved home.

Including the block parties that pop up in residential neighborhoods citywide throughout the summer.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 09-16-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM

84,626 posts, read 98,067,872 times
I don't have you guys' computer skills, but here are some of Denver's "shared spaces".
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pict...w=1904&bih=928

My daughter got married in the park in row 8, far left. Note that we are more "diverse" than London. Red Rocks is a Denver city park.

Here are some more pictures of Red Rocks, where DD got married. (Not in the amphitheater, we didn't have *that* many people.)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Red+...w=1904&bih=928

Pearl St. Mall, Boulder:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1904&bih=928

My town, Louisville, CO

St. Paul, MN, where my second daughter lives:
Celebrating winter!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-16-2018 at 06:51 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My daughter got married in the park in row 8, far left. Note that we are more "diverse" than London. Red Rocks is a Denver city park.
The City and County of Denver owns Red Rocks? I thought it was outside the city limits.

In any event, that place is on my bucket list. Looks amazing, and I hear it sounds as good as it looks.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:02 PM

84,626 posts, read 98,067,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The City and County of Denver owns Red Rocks? I thought it was outside the city limits.

In any event, that place is on my bucket list. Looks amazing, and I hear it sounds as good as it looks.
It is outside the city, but the city owns it. The city also owns Winter Park ski resort, and some other land in the mountains that are called the Denver Mountain Parks.
https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...ain-parks.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or