Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:31 PM

700 posts, read 422,238 times

Advertisements

Why is this the case? What is stopping a boring city from allowing its residents, planners and politicians to create innovating things that they see in other cities when they travel?

Is creating something that isn't in the city even the true problem here? Could it be the type of people who live there? the layout? the energy? etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 03:33 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
boring is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Depends on a ton of things. Two things could that are possibilities: 1. What is "boring" and "fun" are extremely relative and up for personal interpretation. 2. It could be cost, especially if tax money is being use (cost vs benefit ratio). It could drive up the cost of living.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:33 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
There are no boring cities only boring people.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:07 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
I think it may be a combination of things, one being politics of that particular city or region. Some place's honestly don't want to grow or prefer to remain stagnant,boring especially older generations. Too much fun may mean too much trouble for a region. Another thing could be the history of that place, spirit or what may have happened there in the past could also have an affect on if a city is boring or not. Just the nature of the beast so to speak. It is what it will always remain and be period

Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Why is this the case? What is stopping a boring city from allowing its residents, planners and politicians to create innovating things that they see in other cities when they travel?

Is creating something that isn't in the city even the true problem here? Could it be the type of people who live there? the layout? the energy? etc?
I can tell you around here it is the fact that the residents are already satisfied and the transients and transplants do not have much of a say as to what is going on. The homeowners, in most cities, dictate the direction of things. If the homeowners are satisfied that is all that matters. The wealth is with the homeowners. Everyone else is passing through and has no long standing commitments to the city.

And I don't mean homeowners in single detached homes I mean people that buy as opposed to people that rent. Plenty of buyers live in apartment complexes.

The people that complain around here are the transients and the transplants, the outsiders. They don't do anything about it, they just leave, which is probably what I will end up doing. It is enough just to live here, I can't afford to be entertained by anything.

This area has no problem building housing for new people to come in. But once they're here, good luck giving them anything interesting to do. Old money runs this place. They will take your money but they don't like you telling them what to do with your money.

Research a city before moving there. If it is not already there, chances are it never will be. Especially if things are going well in the city. If the city is losing population, and in particular, losing homeowners, it may be open to new ideas because growth is better than the alternative.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:01 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Why are some cities boring and other cities fun?
A good bit of it is because some cities are walkable and some aren’t. I generally find that those cities I can explore on foot are more enjoyable to visit than those I have to drive around.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:28 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Why are some cities boring and other cities fun?
A good bit of it is because some cities are walkable and some aren’t. I generally find that those cities I can explore on foot are more enjoyable to visit than those I have to drive around.
I agree.

But there are large swaths of this area that is walkable. You could walk to things if you already live in the walkable neighborhoods. But the whole city is not walkable. So this probably discourages people from walking through neighborhoods.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Boring and fun are in the eyes of the beholder. The amenities that a city has or doesn't have is representative of what the residents want.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 AM

513 posts, read 499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post

A couple thoughts -

Boring is subjective, and some people want it.

Most people looking for city excitement (which is what I perceive you are referring to here) move to one of the big cities (for example, Brooklyn). Therefore the people that would make a city interesting often leave for a city that already is interesting (in their minds).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning