Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 06:41 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times

Advertisements

Which surface parking lots in your city (or any city) would you consider a complete waste of space. I know that this has been an issue in American cities for decades now, but I believe that its getting better. Still, there's some lots that are bigger offenders than others.

Here's some examples:

Milwaukee, WI // Never been here, but I was playing around on google maps and this parking lot gave me the whole idea of this thread. It seems like such a waste of space!
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0374...7i16384!8i8192

Jacksonville, FL // Right in the thick of downtown, and not far from the mass transit and the riverfront.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3268...7i16384!8i8192

Charleston, WV // Not anywhere near the worst, but one from my home town. I just wish they'd put something else here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3502...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 06:43 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
For some reason I don't find that one in Jacksonville that offensive. Maybe because it kind of blends in with that rail line?

Old 12-13-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
For some reason I don't find that one in Jacksonville that offensive. Maybe because it kind of blends in with that rail line?
None of these are extreme examples, but just an idea of what I'm referring to.

I think that Jacksonville probably has some worse offenders that that one in their downtown.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:47 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Saying poorly placed parking lots in U.S. downtowns is redundant.

The downtown area of a city should have no visible surface parking lots whatsoever. It should all be either structured parking, or at absolute worst hidden behind an alley and screened from the pedestrian experience.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

The downtown area of a city should have no visible surface parking lots whatsoever. It should all be either structured parking, or at absolute worst hidden behind an alley and screened from the pedestrian experience.
My point exactly. While they shouldn't be downtown, they are in mass quantities all across the nation. Basically everywhere but Manhattan has them.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
It's not like they plan the parking first, and then put buildings where the will fit.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:21 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
So many US cities place massively large surface lots in prime areas of their downtowns.

Usually demolishing structures that provided a sense of place, time and historic significance.

An interesting article I found on this--

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tes-of-america

Some cities offhand I can think of--although there are many--are these:

Dallas, TX
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-13-2022, 07:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I think the worst surface parking lot in Downtown Pittsburgh would have to be the one directly across Grant Street from the City-County Building. Would you agree?

Old 12-13-2022, 08:01 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
The most infamous one in Philadelphia is at 8th and Market streets, which is collequally referred to as the Disney Hole" after Disney Quest scrapped expansion plans in the 2000s. But the lot dates to the early 1980s following the demolition of Gimbel's. The lots extends all the way to the next blocks (9th, Chestnut) on both sides.

There are also several surface lots surrounding the Chinatown station on the BSL spur, with the 800 blocks in particular once again being the main culprit. A big waste of TOD space. And there's another one at 12th and Race right behind Philly's convention center. IMO the new 76ers arena would be better placed in the superblock between Vine, Race, 8th, and about midway between 9th and 10th streets. It's not quite as central as the 10th and Market site, but I find arenas to be better placed toward the fringes of downtown, and you still have HRT for this proposal and a reasonable walk for commuter rail. You can also advertise on the Vine st. side for the I-676 traffic as well.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:19 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
So many US cities place massively large surface lots in prime areas of their downtowns.

Usually demolishing structures that provided a sense of place, time and historic significance.

An interesting article I found on this--

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tes-of-america

Some cities offhand I can think of--although there are many--are these:

Dallas, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Perhaps it's semantics, but cities don't "place" parking lots like in a game of sim city. These are private property and it's the choice of the landowner whether or not to develop that property. Even in a downtown with high real estate prices, sometimes landowners choose to hold out on development in speculation that land value will go up in the future.

In Austin there is one particular grifter ("World Class Capital") that owns a bunch of property in prime locations only to let it sit there and rot. There isn't much the city can do about beyond charge property tax (and the property tax is depressed by the fact that the lot has only land value and not much if any structure value).

Paid parking is often a good way to make just enough cash flow to cover property tax while speculating on future land value.

Last edited by whereiend; 12-13-2022 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning