Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM

45 posts, read 199,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Interesting ideas, but I'm wondering how you plan on compensating the owners of the cookie-cutter neighborhoods and strip malls you plan to tear down and convert back into farm land. Also, what do you plan on telling people who live there and don't buy into the new urbanist ideas and don't like that type of living arrangement. Sounds like some details need to be worked out.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I do think that that type of city structure makes more sense, but unfortunately we can't just hit the "bulldoze" icon and start over (I LOVE The Sims and Sim City btw). Once you have a poorly planned metro area that has grown up around strip malls and highways, it's near impossible to go back. You CAN do infill and revitalization projects and hope that will eventually transform the surrounding areas, but it's not anything you'll see the fruits of in your lifetime, most likely.

Money is the carrot and the solution.

Developers will not invest in a project unless they are sure of a return on investment, plus profit. They have to know people will buy. People will not buy unless it is a) convenient to where they work and play, b) safe enough, and c) a reasonably good long-term investment (home value in the area expected to go up). A, B, and C are not going to happen unless the city in question is dilligently investing budget money in things like law enforcement, education programs, city beautification projects, and plans to attract businesses (places of employment) to the city instead of the 'burbs. And when your residents in EXISTING areas of sprawl are complaining about road repairs and parking, and developers are only interested in building on former farmland in areas that they KNOW people will buy (because people want to get away from the dirty, neglected, unsafe, loud, and expensive cities), then I can see how city planning that does not have a vision of a sustainable and livable city and/or is not firmly committed to it, would continue to spend budget money on the same old stuff.

Fake Urbanism: I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it sort of depends on the area. Just take a look at the development names. Around here, people don't have much urban sensibility and prefer to feel like they're in the country, so places have names like "Covington Farms" and "Ripple Creek" (or they take on the name of whatever farm they plowed over, lol). In Portland, Oregon, which is IMO a city where people are proud of their urban lifestyles but the city housing prices are astronomical, I am seeing new developments out in the 'burbs with very urban names. Orenco Station, Streets of Tanasborne (that's actually a shopping center), etc. They're built more blocky and city-looking, I've even seen a few advertised as "brownstones."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
What is the general opinion of "traditional neighborhood" mixed-use communities that are becoming more popular? Can they really replicate the urban experience? Does anyone live in one of these communities? Actually I don't live in one of these communities, but I think we were supposed to get one but the project is on hold right now. Maybe once the real estate market stabalizes. Is there a true sense of community that one wouldn't find in a regular McMansion suburb?
Yes and no.

They do bring back some of the old lifestyle of traditional communities in the sense that they are usually very walkable and they do have a variety of housing and areas for work. I must say. However, while many of them were originally intended to be for mixed income, they often immediately get taken over by the wealthy. I'd feel closer in one of these b/c they encourage walking and meeting other ppl, then there are often several parks to sit and rest at.

When done correctly(i.e. not being limited to one income group) they can get great. I find it nice to see a variety of incomes(low, middle and upper) living under one roof.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:40 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
New Urbanism communities under construction and built in Gaithersburg MD (Suburb of Washington D.C.)

Gaithersburg is one of the first cities in the nation to embrace the new urbanism concept. The award winning Kentlands community is a prime example of a thriving dense community. There are two more communities by kentlands under construction now. These are all walkable dense communities with 20 story highrise dense cores. There is also a new Science City under construction which will create a new bio tech hub in Gaithersburg with 52,500 new jobs in this area. They will all be served by lightrail or BRT called the Corridor Cities Transitway CCT. Gaithersburg density is slated to reach 9,000 people per square mile.

Watkins Mill Town Center (under construction) named after owner of land

2,250 unit Crown Farm Development named after owner of land

Kentlands Community (One of the first New Urbanism communities in the country) named after owner of land

Great Seneca Life Science City (60,000 new jobs and 9,000 new residential units mainly highrises)
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af64/gibso012/sciencecity1.jpg (broken link)

Lightrail (Corridor Cities Transitway) for Gaithersburg (5 stations) and points north

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-20-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning