Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 PM

113 posts, read 249,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Houston, ATL, and L.A are supposed to be huge wastes of energy.
Houston is actually becoming a green city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times
Want to know what I think: Who cares.

Sure you should stop littering and not pollute water and stuff, but most of this green stuff is nothing more than a blind religion.

People will start going "green" when the market makes it advantageous for them to do so. No amount of beaurocratic engineering will change that.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:15 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Im so tired of hearing about going green, screw that.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Im so tired of hearing about going green, screw that.
So am I. It's a fad buzzword, kind of like "walkability".

No one gave two shlts about "walkable" this or "green" that in 1981 (the year I was born). Only when it became an issue did those types of projects start to show up, and even now, they're still not widely prevalent. Same with anti-smoking laws, for example. When half of all adults smoked in the 1950s, no one cared about the environment or clean air. Only as cancer rates steadily climbed did laws like those finally show up.

Why can't America do what it should have been doing all along, instead of being forced to do it or doing it because it's the "cool" thing to do? Unless we exterminate this type of mindset, we will be perpetually behind the curve. Mass transit, denser urban areas, environmentalism, anti-partisanship in politics, strong public schools, etc. I could go on and on.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

No one gave two shlts about "walkable" this or "green" that in 1981 (the year I was born). Only when it became an issue did those types of projects start to show up, and even now, they're still not widely prevalent. Same with anti-smoking laws, for example. When half of all adults smoked in the 1950s, no one cared about the environment or clean air. Only as cancer rates steadily climbed did laws like those finally show up.

Why can't America do what it should have been doing all along, instead of being forced to do it or doing it because it's the "cool" thing to do? Unless we exterminate this type of mindset, we will be perpetually behind the curve. Mass transit, denser urban areas, environmentalism, anti-partisanship in politics, strong public schools, etc. I could go on and on.
its almost as if everything is a fad these days, from organic food to going green to being gay.

the same people that freak out over non-organic food are the same ones eating it 2 years ago, but all of a sudden, regular food is so terrible.

going green is bs, its not effective, there are so many people being born into this country and people immigrating into this coiuntry that its not even gonna work, one person may conserve resources but there are another thousand people using all they can. Its usually the same people that are for illegal immigration that are all for going green, makes no sense.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Its usually the same people that are for illegal immigration that are all for going green, makes no sense.
If we're talking about illegal immigration, then yes--we are also waaaay behind the curve on that one.

This country should change its motto from "E pluribus unum" to "Bringin' up the rear".

Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
I know it's bad to stereotype, but everytime I think of a Non-Green city it's always one in the Rust Belt.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

This post doesn't make any sense to me. If there seem to be a lot more people aware of littering, recycling, etc... than a few years ago it would seem to me that means a lot more people are becoming aware of their responsibility to their planet. Here in San Francisco we have trash, recycling & compost bins that are picked up every day to every week. Most citizens embrace the opportunity to help stem the mounds of garbage that goes into landfills.
Same as with smoking. I grew up in the 50's & 60's and people smoked everywhere. I welcome the laws that ban smoking from so many public places. Ever since I was in my very early teens we've been warned about the dangers of smoking. Why 40 years later people are still taking up that disgusting habit is a complete mystery to me.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
We aren't comparing American cities to European cities, were comparing American cities to American cities. Most cities today are growing green, or atleast trying to. We all want to be green but its easier said than done. Here are some ways Orlando is trying to be green...

UCF just completed the first LEED certified student housing project in the US. UCF Apartments | Rent Apartments near UCF - Sterling University Central

Orlandos bus system lynx now uses biodiesel. Central Florida Buses Will Use Biodiesel | Hybrid Cars

Orlandos new arena opening in the fall will be the most energy efficient/ "greenest" arena in the US.

A new solar power plant is underway. Customers Pick Up Cost Of FP&L Solar Project - News Story - WFTV Orlando

I see more and more people driving hybrids every day

I see solar panels on homes

A local high school made their year books this year out of all recycled materials

etc.

Soon enough cars won't be an issue. Power plants powering cities are and will remain the issue long after they make 0 emission cars.

We may not be the greenest area of the US, but we are doing our best to help.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,084 times
Phoenix.

"Let's build huge community developments as far away as possible from any sort of commerce, forcing people to use tons of fuel to drive back and forth!"
-Probably what whoever invented the suburb of Buckeye, AZ was thinking.
And Anthem, AZ.
And New River, AZ.
And San Tan Valley, AZ.
And Maricopa, AZ.
The list of sprawl goes on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning