Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Describe your view/lifestle with regard to mass transit today in light of gas prices?
Mass transit is available to me, and I've been using it/plan on using it more. 52 57.14%
Mass transit is available to me, but I don't/won't use it. 13 14.29%
Mass transit isn't available to me, but I would use it if it were. 22 24.18%
Mass transit isn't available to me, and I wouldn't use if it were. 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times

Advertisements

I have used mass transit in the past, and would again in the right situation for me. I work 4 1/2 miles from home; it's way quicker to drive than take a bus, plus, they (RTD) just discontinued the service to my place of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM

371 posts, read 392,094 times
I don't like loud obnoxious people.

So, no, I wouldn't ever use it while living in Mississippi. But, I used it daily in Japan and frequently in Hawaii.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM

71 posts, read 184,416 times
Transit is pretty good here in Baton Rouge, but the only people who seem to use it are people who have to use it. There has been talk about light rail for a while, though.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,197,443 times
There's a bus system in Jackson, MS, but it's so horrible that I would get a car if I wasn't planning on moving away. I don't like driving much, though, so if/when I move to somewhere with a decent transit system, I would be a frequent user.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,558,592 times
I don't have a car, and some places are beyond walking distance. I take an hour and a half on the bus to get to a second job...even though it isn't really work. I paid the money for a pass good for one month, and have been taking the bus even to places I would normally just walk. Might as well get my money's worth out of it, as it's based on time, and not number of trips. (good for one month, not 60 trips)

Old 02-28-2011, 02:55 AM

446 posts, read 648,048 times
I am transit-dependent, cause driving is just too dad gum expensive, heh. I'd rate the transit service in the Dallas suburb in which I reside... probably "fair". It is very good on weekdays, with three good bus options, two of which provide a good, quick connection to the Red Line for travel to elsewhere in the inner metro area. It's weekends that get absurd. Thankfully I have my bike to help with the difficult transfers then. Overall, however, we need a major, major investment in expansion of transit options here in the Dallas area, even above and beyond the pretty good service already here, to cover more area and provide better service to currently served areas. If I could drive, I would probably only do it on weekends when transit schedules get pretty sketchy.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
I ride a bus between southern New Hampshire and Boston every workday. I also use the Boston subways if I need to get around town beyond walking distance. I believe we need to upgrade the Metro Area Commuter rail. The last time I rode to a nearby city on this train I thought I had bought a museum ticket.

ON the weekends I drive either of my well used cars to get around Southern NH surburbia. We also use the car on >700 mile vacations but are considering using AMTRAK in the future.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,835,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Fortunately I live in one of the most transit-friendly places in the country.

The NYC region (incl NJ) supplies over 35% of the nation's transit ridership.

I live within walking distance of:
subway (PATH trains)
light rail
commuter rail
bus
jitney/gypsy bus

I use the PATH subway system to get to work in NYC every day. I also use it to get to places like Newark and Hoboken. Buses and light rail I rarely have a need for.
It has long been my belief that NY/NJ/CT " hogs" the nation's rail transit resources. Houston, the fourth largest city, only gets a short light rail line. Indianapolis and Columbus, despite being their States' capital and largest cities, are devoid of any rail transit.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,275,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It has long been my belief that NY/NJ/CT " hogs" the nation's rail transit resources. Houston, the fourth largest city, only gets a short light rail line. Indianapolis and Columbus, despite being their States' capital and largest cities, are devoid of any rail transit.
Most of the funds for NY/NJ/CT rail system comes from their states together with fares and local taxes. Other states could fund their mass transit if they choose to, though the layout doesn't make transit as much of a necessity as the NYC metro. One other thread mentioned the removal of the West Side Highway, the federal government offered money to extend and maintain the highway in the 80s but instead the city and state asked to use the funds (and was allowed to) to maintain the subway system.

The new Ohio government appears to want fund nothing but roads.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM

5,501 posts, read 9,455,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most of the funds for NY/NJ/CT rail system comes from their states together with fares and local taxes. Other states could fund their mass transit if they choose to, though the layout doesn't make transit as much of a necessity as the NYC metro. One other thread mentioned the removal of the West Side Highway, the federal government offered money to extend and maintain the highway in the 80s but instead the city and state asked to use the funds (and was allowed to) to maintain the subway system.

The new Ohio government appears to want fund nothing but roads.
Yes, outside of Cleveland, Ohioans typically place little importance on mass-transit. ODOT's budget is around $3 billion dollars. But only about $10 million is allocated for distribution to the state's transit systems. (the previous governor tried to change that to $50 million, but Kasich quickly took it back to help close the $8 billion budget deficit.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning