Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Are you, uh, sure about that?

That was the only thing you could quote, cuz you know i'm right huh? exactly.. dont talk smack.. if you dont work in the same field as me, now if you had the same job it would be different.. buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Let me guess, your from Kansas City.

I usually dont do this but...I feel a point should be made. Those pictures you put up are obviously when some huge concert or festival was going on. Not to mention it must have not been the most high class thing, your pics look like 10,000 obese rednecks are gathered in one place for a barbecue rib cook-off, or some kind of food or bluegrass festival. Kansas Citys downtown is not that alive, Ive been there before and I know about it. Its deader than Detroit and Indianapolis.

I normally try not to converse with the mentally challenged as it never goes anywhere, but what the hell.

Yes I am from Kansas City, but I don't have any strong attraction to here. I love the city for the fact i've grown up here, but a search of my post show i've been posting in several forums to get ideas on those cities as i'm ready to move away.

Of course the pics with TONS of people are from festivals, we have them quite often. We have an Irish Fest coming up. A few weeks ago we had the Fringe Festival, which includes burlesque shows, art displays, comedy, Chinese dragon boat racing, etc... covering from plaza to the river market.

KC Fringe Festival : July 21-27, 2008 (http://www.kcfringe.org/index.html - broken link)

Or perhaps you prefer pics from rockfest?

98.9 The Rock - Rockfest 08: Jeff Tull Pics

Festivals normally have a wide range of people, sorry if the pictures you saw weren't filled with models.

Point is Kansas City downtown is far from dead, we have festivals all the time. The Plaza and Light District is full of people nightly, the river market is frequented daily, union station needs a bit of help but still it brings in some good shows, and there is always stuff going on the sprint center. They are opening up the new performing arts center:

Estimates show the population of permanent residents downtown to pass 20k this year, which means it would have basically doubled since 2000, and between 2000-2006 they have spent over 4 billion downtown.

That is not a dying downtown. Different developers are now trying to win the rights to build an aquarium downtown. So... it's far from dying, it's very active and getting bigger all the time. There is more going on in KC then just BBQ, but I wouldn't expect a close minded douchebag such as yourself to have a clue. You hear Kansas City and think dorthy and farms...

Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Now. Now. Don't call them rednecks. I have some real nice friend who live in K.C. . Not everyone is blessed with a San Fran or Chicago, hence this topic.

Isn't that peachy.... "don't call them rednecks"

Talk about elitist attitudes. KC is a very liberal city surrounded by farmland, but that's not how the city is... it's the same for Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

We have one of the biggest 1 day rock festivals in the US. One of the biggest underground hip hop festivals in the US (scribble jam) has had it's winners in beat boxing and emcee'ing come from KC (which has a big underground hip hop community but most here probably have no clue of that).

So yeah... it's not San Francisco, it's not NYC, Chicago, Miami, or whatever else.... but it can be pretty fun. I want to get out of here cuz i've always lived here (personally I'd prefer to get out of the US and go back to Helsinki)... but I would definitely considering coming back... for one thing the cost of living is so low, not only can I have a way nicer place then people in LA or NYC could get for the same money, but I can and do travel frequently because I am able to save so much. I have a nice place, can put back about 1k into savings each month, go to school full time and work full time, and this year alone i've been to Miami twice, LA once, going to Boston in October and Montreal in December.... all in all not bad for only making $40k a year. I could not have the lifestyle I do living in LA... and that's not knocking LA or any place else.. people have their preferences... if I had the money I'd love to live in Chicago or Boston, in fact I could move to either place and it'd be fun, but it wouldn't be without sacrifices, that's a personal choice we all have to make.... in the current state of our economy I like people able to save money and travel and not live paycheck to paycheck while still in college... that would drastically change if I moved to LA or Boston.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Well i stayed in Kansas City for 2 weeks to be exact and for the time i was there the downtown was pretty much dead, it wasnt as busy as you say it is those pictures are probably from events going on or something..aint buyin it..
Yeah cuz Albuquerque is really what people think of when they think of amazing downtowns.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Isn't that peachy.... "don't call them rednecks"

Talk about elitist attitudes. KC is a very liberal city surrounded by farmland, but that's not how the city is... it's the same for Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

We have one of the biggest 1 day rock festivals in the US. One of the biggest underground hip hop festivals in the US (scribble jam) has had it's winners in beat boxing and emcee'ing come from KC (which has a big underground hip hop community but most here probably have no clue of that).

So yeah... it's not San Francisco, it's not NYC, Chicago, Miami, or whatever else.... but it can be pretty fun. I want to get out of here cuz i've always lived here (personally I'd prefer to get out of the US and go back to Helsinki)... but I would definitely considering coming back... for one thing the cost of living is so low, not only can I have a way nicer place then people in LA or NYC could get for the same money, but I can and do travel frequently because I am able to save so much. I have a nice place, can put back about 1k into savings each month, go to school full time and work full time, and this year alone i've been to Miami twice, LA once, going to Boston in October and Montreal in December.... all in all not bad for only making $40k a year. I could not have the lifestyle I do living in LA... and that's not knocking LA or any place else.. people have their preferences... if I had the money I'd love to live in Chicago or Boston, in fact I could move to either place and it'd be fun, but it wouldn't be without sacrifices, that's a personal choice we all have to make.... in the current state of our economy I like people able to save money and travel and not live paycheck to paycheck while still in college... that would drastically change if I moved to LA or Boston.
Mac Lethal is hilarious, he is the main emcee I know of from KC...even though he got served by AdeeM at a scribble jam a few years back.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
As much as it pains me to say it, downtown Columbus is dead. The biggest thing they could do to fix this is to do something with the downtown mall, City Center, which is dead. I also think a streetcar connecting DT to some of the surrounding, hip neighborhoods would help as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Mac Lethal is hilarious, he is the main emcee I know of from KC...even though he got served by AdeeM at a scribble jam a few years back.
yeah he is... he got served by adeem 2001, then came and won it in 2002... was surprised someone picked that up, most people think of tech 9 if anyone from KC.

A-train is from KC, won the beatbox battles in 03/04.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM

35 posts, read 38,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
Well I work in downtown Houston and its not dead by any means during the work week. Now as for night life after work hours and weekends it does die down alot. Like some posters mentioned here there are some projects in the works that will make downtown more vibrant. It sure has come along though.
DT Houston is dead as ever, been their day and night and nobody is ever their esp. in the day. people from TX exaggerate H-town's DT but when it's extremely deserted.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radical View Post
DT Houston is dead as ever, been their day and night and nobody is ever their esp. in the day. people from TX exaggerate H-town's DT but when it's extremely deserted.
Yeah, ok, and it snows all year in san Diego too! I once saw a person in downtown SD and he told me he was looking for LA.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM

35 posts, read 38,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yeah, ok, and it snows all year in san Diego too! I once saw a person in downtown SD and he told me he was looking for LA.
Well i once saw a person in DT Hou- Wait theirs nobody there how sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning