Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM

940 posts, read 3,178,596 times

Advertisements

http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/mo...ble-cities.php

City -- Score -- Most Walkable Neighborhoods
1San Francisco86Chinatown, Financial District, Downtown
2New York83Tribeca, Little Italy, Soho
3Boston79Back Bay-Beacon Hill, South End, Fenway-Kenmore
4Chicago76Loop, Near North Side, Lincoln Park
5Philadelphia74City Center East, City Center West, Riverfront
6Seattle72Pioneer Square, Downtown, First Hill
7Washington D.C.70Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Downtown
8Long Beach69Downtown, Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights
9Los Angeles67Mid City West, Downtown, Hollywood
10Portland66Pearl District, Old Town-Chinatown, Downtown
11Denver66Lodo, Golden Triangle, Capitol Hill
12Baltimore65Federal Hill, Fells Point, Inner Harbor
13Milwaukee62Lower East Side, Northpoint, Murray Hill
14Cleveland60Downtown, Ohio City-West Side, Detroit Shoreway
15Louisville58Central Business District, Limerick, Phoenix Hill
16San Diego56Core, Cortez Hill, Gaslamp Quarter
17San Jose55Buena Vista, Burbank, Rose Garden
18Las Vegas55Meadows Village, Downtown, Rancho Charleston
19Fresno54Central, Fresno-High, Hoover
20Sacramento54Richmond Grove, Downtown, Midtown
21Albuquerque53Downtown, Broadway Central, Raynolds
22Atlanta52Five Points, Poncey-Highland, Sweet Auburn
23Detroit52Downtown, New Center, Midtown
24Dallas51West End Historic District, Oak Lawn, m Streets
25Tucson51Iron Horse, El Presidio, Ocotillo Oracle
26Houston51Downtown, Montrose, River Oaks
27Columbus50Weinland Park, Victorican Village, Downtown
28Phoenix50Encanto, Central City, Camelback East
29Austin49Downtown, University Of Texas, West University
30Mesa48Southwest, West Central, Central
31El Paso45Golden Hills, Houston Park, Manhattan Heights
32San Antonio45Downtown, Five Points, Tobin Hill
33Fort Worth45Downtown, Arlington Heights, Tcu-West Cliff
34Kansas City44Old Westport, Country Club Plaza, Plaza Westport
35Memphis43Midtown, Downtown, East Memphis-Colonial-Yorkshire
36Oklahoma City43No Zillow neighborhood information available
37Indianapolis42No Zillow neighborhood information available
38Charlotte39Cherry, Fourth Ward, Downtown Charlotte
39Nashville39East End, Edgehill, Bellmont Hillsboro
40Jacksonville36Downtown Jacksonville, San Marco, Fairfax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 PM

304 posts, read 901,251 times
Yup! A California city #1!!

*waits for the angry people who disagree*

Old 09-11-2008, 07:11 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,955,284 times
Albuquerque 23? Not bad, i think it deserves maybe 16.. however thats about to chage with all the new urban plans and designs for the newer developed areas.. its not all about throwing up houses in a suburban manner...

Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM

179 posts, read 197,819 times
LOL at L.A. being so high.

Houston should be higher - I never have to use my car. I get up, get on metro to work, walk around downtown, and when I get home, walk around my neighborhood.

SF and NY are very very walkable though.

Chicago...meh. Maybe inner loop.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 PM

940 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post

Houston should be higher - I never have to use my car. I get up, get on metro to work, walk around downtown, and when I get home, walk around my neighborhood.

Houston is 600 square miles and los angeles is 500 square miles. houston has 2.2 million people and los angeles has 4 million people. los angeles is twice as dense as houston, therefore, los angeles should have more walkable communities then houston. LA may not be a pretty or bustling or vibrant as san francisco or new york city, but it makes sense to me why it's higher then houston.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM

338 posts, read 609,034 times
I disagree with LA. When I was there, we couldn't do anything without a car.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM

179 posts, read 197,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Houston is 600 square miles and los angeles is 500 square miles. houston has 2.2 million people and los angeles has 4 million people. los angeles is twice as dense as houston, therefore, los angeles should have more walkable communities then houston. LA may not be a pretty or bustling or vibrant as san francisco or new york city, but it makes sense to me why it's higher then houston.
Well, a lot of the "city limits" of houston are vacant though (floodplains, green areas, industrial areas etc., especially south on 288 before the beltway.

FWIW, my zip code is like 9,000/sq mile.

Don't get me wrong though - L.A. is probably somewhat more dense overall. It just shouldn't be that high.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,842,871 times
That website can often give a good general picture, but it has its flaws. I've looked over their list of "most walkable cities" before, and read their explanation. My recollection is that they rate "walability" on the basis of the number of establishments that provide entertainment or various personal services and everyday shopping needs located within a certain distance--I believe it's one mile. There is a potential flaw there, since the sheer number of amenities does not tell you anything about the variety. Still, it often gives a good idea about the atmosphere of a neighborhood or a small town.

The trouble with the city rankings is that, as I recall, they rank large cities on the basis of number of "walkable neighborhoods." This means that once you arrive in one of these neighborhoods you can stroll around to a variety of activities. The problem is that they don't penalize cities for having their "walkable neighborhoods" spread out over a wide area. As long as a city has numerous such neighborhoods, it gets a high score, even if you need a car to drive around between all these neighborhoods rather than being able to get around much of the city via a well-designed public transit system. It looks as if most of the cities high on this list are good fits, but any that seem to rank higher than they should probably have some good neighborhoods strewn about a very wide area, without good transit connections between them. So it gives you some general idea, but it's not perfect.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 PM

521 posts, read 1,623,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post

I agree and disagree.
I dont agree with LA being so high either. In fact, San Diego is alot more walkable than LA. Part of the reason why I moved here instead of LA.

But I do agree with the ranking Houston was given. That city was not made for pedestrians walking. The blocks are long without intersections, wide roads, tons of parking. There is public transportation which is being encouraged more, but when you can drive into downtown and find ample parking, thats not encouraging.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,049,033 times
LA is a very walkable city. You walk to your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning