Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit. There's something you don't know? Maybe you should lay off the grand pronouncements then.
Best post of thread!

Last night, I did do a search re: the quoted poster's negative posts about the burbs, and found nine, even w/o going very far back. I did post them for a while, but figured if a mod did wander over here by some act of God, I would be the one to get the infraction, so I deleted it. This poster has a habit of making absolute statements about the burbs, e.g. the burbs have no mass transit, then backing off when proven wrong, and saying thngs like "Well, it's not very good transit", LOL! He also has a habit of psychoanalyzing posters, which is against the TOS.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Generally don't like the culture/lifestyle found in the suburbs. Too conservative socially for the most part. I also don't like the makeup of the layouts. I don't even like owning a car or the hassles that come with it. I don't want to have a bunch of "things", I have a 1br apartment and it is actually a bit too much space for my needs. After living in Europe for awhile then coming back to the U.S. the suburbs were just not an option whatsoever. Truth be told I would have just stayed in Europe if my visa didn't run out, so I deal how I need to deal in the U.S. and suburbs are just not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Driving a car is hell for you?

x2. You live in the south, it's a different culture you just wouldn't understand. I can tell by your posts you have no concept of daily urban life. Yes, being in a major city and still having to drive would definitely suck. Have you ever driven around DT NYC or Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco?

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-07-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,428 times
Quote:
If the auto suburb (and single-use zoning, and racial exclusion covenants, and redlining, etc) hadn't come into vogue thanks to the efforts of the concrete lobby, most cities would have had to actually fix their problems instead of ignoring and avoiding them, fewer neighborhoods would have been demolished to make way for freeways.
yes this is very true in many cases, just not all. Yes thanks to cars, people moved away from the messes that were in cities at the turn of the century. Had there been no cars, the cities would have been forced to clean up their messes and make them more livable. Instead, people took their money and moved to the suburbs and some cities never recovered.

But you make the mistake of not understanding that no matter how wonderful and sparkly clean a city is, there are STILL people who prefer suburbs. The clean up of cities will lure some people back, but you are not going to get everyone back. Some of the wealthiest people in the US, who can live basically any place they choose still choose the suburbs.
Some people just don't want city. Period. They don't care how great that city is. They don't want it. In a perfect world, the cities would be gentrified and still affordable so all of the moaners in the burbs can move back and leave the suburbs for the people who actually want to live there.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Closed until further notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning