Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Suburbs are like towns except they're really close to the city, so you can just drive to city when you're in need of what the city offers.
I wonder why it's only the suburbs everyone complains about and not the towns? Towns are pretty much smaller suburbs without the city nearby.
In many midwestern and western states, the burbs are organized as ciites. I live in a suburban city. The largest suburb of Denver, the city of Aurora, has 300,000 people living in it. I know that in many eastern states, the suburbs are organized as townships and other more rural forms of govt.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I grew up in the typical 1950's-1970's suburbs, and while that was OK, I definitely prefer living in an older, more urban environment. But, I don't care as much about whether it's within city limits or not. I'm more interested in environment. There are suburbs of Cleveland that I wouldn't mind living in because they have plenty of urban amenities. Some of Cleveland's suburbs are more dense and urban than the most urban neighborhoods within the city of Youngstown.

But having said that, I wouldn't want too much density, either. I wouldn't want to live in a high-rise condo in Manhattan or Chicago. My ideal neighborhood has walkable tree-lined streets with a mixture of SFH's and stately apartment buildings, all with small yards. I'd probably like living in Katiana's suburb of Denver, because it seems to be more urban and walkable than the stereotypical suburb.

If people could see beyond their stereotypes of what they think urban and suburban are, they would probably agree a lot more often.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I like to drive and I like outdoor wildlife photography, especially birds, bugs and butterflies. I especially like to drive on hardly any traffic highways where I can listen to my car radio or CDs, see the mountains and a few hawks that fly over. So I live in the suburbs where it's not crowded, all sprawl meaning I can breathe, it's easy to just jump in the car and drive to nature (mountains, lakes, woods, state parks, national parks, farms) to take photos the closest within 2 towns away, but I'm less than a half mile from my classes and where my book discussion group meets, and about a mile from the lake (at the end of my road), the supermarket and the movie theater.

There is a city downtown about 25 miles away and I never go there. I don't go to that city's stores/malls, either.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I like to drive and I like outdoor wildlife photography, especially birds, bugs and butterflies. I especially like to drive on hardly any traffic highways where I can listen to my car radio or CDs, see the mountains and a few hawks that fly over. So I live in the suburbs where it's not crowded, all sprawl meaning I can breathe, it's easy to just jump in the car and drive to nature (mountains, lakes, woods, state parks, national parks, farms) to take photos the closest within 2 towns away, but I'm less than a half mile from my classes and where my book discussion group meets, and about a mile from the lake (at the end of my road), the supermarket and the movie theater.

There is a city downtown about 25 miles away and I never go there. I don't go to that city's stores/malls, either.
What kind of suburb do you live in that you can see mountains, birds, butterflies, and wildlife? I must be looking in the wrong states.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
What kind of suburb do you live in that you can see mountains, birds, butterflies, and wildlife? I must be looking in the wrong states.
Well, Chicago suburbs have many forest preserves with parks and hiking trails that allow you to see birds, butterflies and wildlife..

Hardly any traffic on highways? I don't know about that.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,078 times
I live in a small town called Greensburg, which is a city 25 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. It's a typical "satellite town" in the sense that even though it's located close to the major city, it still offers the amenities of a larger city and being that the county seat is located here, it gives the downtown area greater importance. The cultural and educational facilities in the city also gives people a reason to visit the downtown area. The city only has about 20,000 residents within its borders, but the greater swath of the area where most of the residential developments are has around 60,000 people within a 5 mile radius, which would make it a small micropolitan area if there wasn't a major city nearby. While suburban areas can stretch far out, the city I live in doesn't feel necessarily like a suburb, although there are residential areas just outside the city which feel suburban and are newer developments built as early as the 1960s, while Greensburg itself was established in the early 1800s. We have our own expressway running through town which sees a lot of traffic during the day and major commercial areas outside the city that includes a shopping mall and other retail centers.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Why did the suburbs abandon the street grid? The older more established inner ring St. Louis suburbs of Clayton, Webster, Brentwood, Kirkwood all for the most part kept the street grid in tact and are very desireable places to live. All still very walkable.

If the suburbs were more dense and kept the street grid I think they would be much more appealing.

The housing stock in the City of St. Louis and the inner ring burbs is far superior to that of the burbs. Brick vs vynil. hmmmm, easy choice.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
People who bash the 'burbs probably don't have kids yet.
i have a child, and i still dont like the suburbs. relocating to a city as soon as i earn my degree in a year!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Depends on the suburb. The ones I generally prefer are diverse, (economically and racially), safe, scenic and close enough to a big city.

All suburbs are different. The ones you're probably thinking of are the ones outside of the northeast where they're littered with chains, sprawl and 8 lane freeways.
i agree with this comment. some suburbs aren't bad, and IMO, it is the ones in the northeast due to location (near cities), and they are more dense suburbs than down south suburbs

Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764
People who bash the 'burbs probably don't have kids yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
No problem, the suburbs are so great
Cities are great for single yuppies, but after that, to have a family, the suburbs are the better option
I like the suburbs..they offer a reasonable amount of amenities. The shopping is good. People are usually hard-working and reliable. The architecture is disposable, which is a bit of a turn off for me, but otherwise I totally get it.

But, more than that, I want my daughter to grow up in the city, not in the suburbs, so no, i don't think the suburbs are a better option for my family. Not the least reason is that any child has a higher likelihood of dying in an auto accident in the suburbs than from any of the multitude of boogey-men populating cities.

Perhaps it seems that everyone moves to the suburbs once they have kids because so many suburban streets are populated by precisely one demographic ... couples with school-aged kids. That is exactly what many people who choose to raise kids in the city are trying to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning