U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM

41 posts, read 141,749 times

Advertisements

Thought a thread like this might be interesting. Which cities do you believe suffer from not-so-great infrastructure (roadways, mass transit, etc) and/or urban planning?

I would maybe use Los Angeles as an example, because several of the planned freeways went unbuilt, leading to the huge amounts of congestion today. This, combined with a long way to go as far as public transit, means it takes forever to get from one place to another. One could maybe say the same for Atlanta.

Also, throw in which cities you think are the best in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:18 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,212,299 times
what, the actual built infrastructure or just the planning? because most of the built infrastructure in this country is crumbling - except for maybe in the south which has had a lot of expansion.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,088,192 times
Most older cities are in need of some help. Here in Kansas City it seems like a ruptured water main is almost a daily occurrence during the warmer months. They have repaved a lot of the area roads and highways recently but that cannot mask design flaws in the freeways themselves.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,176 times
Depends on your definition of bad. Compared to say, Western European cities, just about every major city in America has pretty dismal infrastructure. This gets even truer in more noticeable areas like Public Transportation infrastructure, which is pretty primitive even in our largest cities.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,215,196 times
Omaha needs a 1.5 billion dollar sewer system upgrade.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,212,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Depends on your definition of bad. Compared to say, Western European cities, just about every major city in America has pretty dismal infrastructure. This gets even truer in more noticeable areas like Public Transportation infrastructure, which is pretty primitive even in our largest cities.

(yes everyone this is my photo. i walk under these tracks almost every day.)

this is at Hollywood and the L tracks in Chicago. the cement with the steel exposed is the original structure. the yellow steel on either side is there to reinforce the tracks, because the original structure is pretty much useless.

the infrastructure holding up the tracks in Evanston is much, much worse, sometimes with doubled steel bars reinforcing the tracks - many of them looking pretty rusted out. most of these structures are 100 years old or more and have been neglected for almost as long as they've existed.

yesterday, I was in one of the subway stations where I saw a solid block of ice, probably about 7 feet tall that happened because of water dripping down from the surface. makes me feel really safe when I'm underground.

this is pretty indicative of much of the transit infrastructure in Chicago, but there are also many places like this on the highways in the city.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,088,192 times
^^^^^
I've seen a couple of bridges in Buffalo that have exposed steel like this. Cement crumbles to the ground below. Who knows when they'll be repaired?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,176 times
Never, if it's up to certain people. Billions of dollars for foreign wars? Check. Billions of dollars for failed CEO's and failed businesses? Check. Money to make sure the infrastructure we travel on every day meets some basic standard of quality?...

Not even the crickets are left on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning