Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Suburbs are everywhere. No real character. No unique, or cultural flair. You just live there.
All suburbs are not created equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
All suburbs are not created equal.
For example. Oak Park, Illinois is not the same as Schaumburg, Illinois (both suburbs of Chicago). Old Town Alexandria in Virginia is not the same as McClean, Virginia (both suburbs of DC though Alexandrians may disagree about being a suburb of any city).

Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
running around naked, eating meat raw, and infested with intestinal parasites and fleas.
You just described ME!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Suburbs are everywhere. No real character. No unique, or cultural flair. You just live there. Cities and urban centers are great - not cookie-cutter buildings, but buildings that have character in an area of life. Love the city, dislike rural, really don't like the suburbs.
I can think of a few older streetcar suburbs of Chicago that are nothing like what you describe.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I can think of a few older streetcar suburbs of Chicago that are nothing like what you describe.
Exactly. I was just in Evanston yesterday and thought that if someone put a gun to my head and said that i have to move to a suburb, I wouldn't mind moving there.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
This is obviously a subject based purely on opinion. Plenty of people in the cities don't "secretly" live in the burbs, just like plenty of people in the suburbs don't want to move to a city.

I think a lot of it has to do with age. I'm 23 years old, and I live just outside of Boston (just graduated college, need to save money and live with the parents ). If I had my way, I'd be living in the biggest city possible. Why would I want to live in the suburbs right now? What need do I have for a big backyard if I can go to a huge park and possibly meet new people? To go out on the weekends, all the best bars and other attractions are in the city. For a 20-something single, living in the city is the best option. If I meet a lovely lady, it's not too romantic to say "Hey baby, let's get on the commuter rail for an hour and go back to my place" or "Hey baby, let's go back to my friends couch". Bars, clubs, sports venues, museums, work, etc. It just makes more sense for a younger person to live in the city.

The "privacy" of the suburbs makes it very tough to randomly meet new friends. However, this is something that makes perfect sense for new families. I understand the desire to have certain things when you have kids and a family as opposed to when you're a young single person.

It was mentioned before that living in the suburbs you can enjoy all the benefits if the city without having to live in the city. Well what makes that a mutually exclusive right? People can easily come out of the city and enjoy the suburbs. I was fortunate enough to be born/raised in a town that is on the coast and has beautiful beaches...when the summer comes around, I have plenty of friends come out of the city to enjoy a nice day on the beach.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with age.
A lot of it has to do with luck too. I am 23 also and would love to live in a major metropolitan area somewhere where there are lots of things to do. Living in a boring small town or suburb is not ideal for hardly anybody my age as its very difficult to meet people. However, when you graduate college into the worst economy since the Great Depression you kind of have to take whatever job you can get and be thankful you even have a job.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 AM

301 posts, read 403,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
We all know that everybody wants to live in the suburbs deep down.. Most people who live in the city only live there because they have to, and they have a hard time getting out. There is a very small minority that thinks it is "cool" to live in the city. These people like to parallel park, put their lives in danger walking in their neighborhoods, breath dirty air, be bothered by homeless, watch for rats and cockroaches in their apartments and so on. Than they act like they are elitist and better than everybody. They drink expensive coffee and wear scarves. Why do you guys pretend to like city living. What is really weid, is many can afford a nice large house, but prefer a one room loft that isn't even theirs. My buddies and I were talking about this last weekend while watching racing.

I was raised close to the city, and the more I look forward to my big yard and large house!
If we're stereotyping, I'm guessing you vote Republican and drive an SUV?

Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM

229 posts, read 293,618 times
Quote:
We all know that everybody wants to live in the suburbs deep down..
really? because I think it's mostly just the old generation. Here comes a new generation who were raised in the suburbs and want nothing more than to get out of their walmart-towns.
check the trends. it's happening

Quote:
Most people who live in the city only live there because they have to, and they have a hard time getting out.
how so? I could easily live in a suburb and commute an hour each way.

Quote:
There is a very small minority that thinks it is "cool" to live in the city. These people like to parallel park, put their lives in danger walking in their neighborhoods, breath dirty air, be bothered by homeless, watch for rats and cockroaches in their apartments and so on.
yeah, so? I'm not sure what you mean about parallel parking but you could easily live without a car in my city.
dirty air? which city is that? mumbai?
pollution in the cities isn't that much different from the suburbs, well unless you live in a very remote area. plus, i'm sure half the cars that are circling around the city are from the suburbs so you're causing the problem.

Quote:
Than they act like they are elitist and better than everybody. They drink expensive coffee and wear scarves. Why do you guys pretend to like city living. What is really weid, is many can afford a nice large house, but prefer a one room loft that isn't even theirs.
yeah like you said: they are a small minority. Sure there are people like that who watch too much TV and then try to act it out in their own lives, but it's not really a problem?
what's the point of a large house? see, this is just another thing about surburbs: massive consumerism.
do you really need 3 bedrooms? bear in mind that that's actually 4 rooms counting living room plus kitchen and the way the suburbs were being built in the last decade, those rooms are huuge. do you really need that much space? yeah yeah "don't tell me how to live"..."this is about freedom" .... bla bla ...

the point is that the suburbs are a dying trend and you're on a wrong train...

Quote:
My buddies and I were talking about this last weekend while watching racing.

I was raised close to the city, and the more I look forward to my big yard and large house!
great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning