Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post this thread over here before it drops off the front page of the Denver forum to never-never land. I think it fits here as well as anywhere else.

Homes So Close Together?

Denver has visibly more dense suburbs than many people are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver has visibly more dense suburbs than many people are used to.
I guess it depends where you came from. For this east coaster it didn't seem that way at all.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I guess it depends where you came from. For this east coaster it didn't seem that way at all.
Agreed. Clicked on a random street view link (no clue if it's typical)

denver,co - Google Maps

and this seems close to what I'm used to. The difference, to my standards, is that while that houses there aren't unusually close together, there's not much else. Back home, you'll get lots of suburbia Denver-densities and then some at much larger lot sizes. Denver doesn't seem to do large lot suburbs.

The style of sidewalk that Denver suburbs have is different from what I'm used, back home they look more like this:

east meadow,ny - Google Maps

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Wow, those sidewalks look really narrow, maybe it's just that the road is so wide, but they look narrower than the ones around here. Most new (post 1930 or so) neighbourhoods here have a greenstrip, but some of the older ones don't.

Old part of my parents' suburb:
Sumner Avenue, Oakville, ON, Canada - Google Maps

Old part of Toronto:
Sumner Avenue, Oakville, ON, Canada - Google Maps

Old part of my university town (Waterloo):
Regina Street South, Waterloo, ON, Canada - Google Maps

I'm pretty sure the sidewalks I linked are wider though.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Wow, those sidewalks look really narrow, maybe it's just that the road is so wide, but they look narrower than the ones around here. Most new (post 1930 or so) neighbourhoods here have a greenstrip, but some of the older ones don't.
I'm referring to that Long Island (and most northeast suburbs) have a strip of grass or spacing between the sidewalk and road, unlike Denver (and Toronto?) suburbs which don't have space.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Apparently they seem close together to whoever started the thread. Just out of curiosity, what is the average lot size in suburban B'more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Agreed. Clicked on a random street view link (no clue if it's typical)

denver,co - Google Maps

and this seems close to what I'm used to. The difference, to my standards, is that while that houses there aren't unusually close together, there's not much else. Back home, you'll get lots of suburbia Denver-densities and then some at much larger lot sizes. Denver doesn't seem to do large lot suburbs.

The style of sidewalk that Denver suburbs have is different from what I'm used, back home they look more like this:

east meadow,ny - Google Maps
The sidewalks along busy roads, even in residential areas, have the green strip. I'm not as good at graphics as some of you guys, but look at Lafayette St. west of Lincoln Ave. to Via Appia. At that point, Lafayette is a "feeder street". Look at Via Appia for that matter. It has houses backing to it. In the neighborhoods, there's not so much traffic, not as much need to be separated from the road.

lafayette st. louisville co - Google Maps

Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm referring to that Long Island (and most northeast suburbs) have a strip of grass or spacing between the sidewalk and road, unlike Denver (and Toronto?) suburbs which don't have space.
It's mostly just 19th century and early 20th century neighbourhoods in the Toronto area that don't have the grass strip, although some new townhouse complexes don't have it either. Post-WWII areas almost always have the grass strip, although in those built in the last 10-20 years it's quite narrow and the sidewalk is often only on one side of the street.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Apparently they seem close together to whoever started the thread. Just out of curiosity, what is the average lot size in suburban B'more?
Couldn't find any stats on it. It varies depending on the area, as does sidewalk coverage. Probably because there are no incorporated towns or cities in Baltimore County, it sometimes seems sort of thrown together.

Here's a sampling:

pikesville md - Google Maps

catonsville md - Google Maps

dundalk md - Google Maps

parkville md - Google Maps

overlea md - Google Maps

overlea md - Google Maps

Most of the near suburbs are only slightly, if at all, less dense than the most spread-out parts of the city.

That could pass for my inner-city street, but it's in the suburbs. It's the same house as I live in. But the cost of these houses is about 2 times mine due to the location outside of the city.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Couldn't find any stats on it. It varies depending on the area, as does sidewalk coverage. Probably because there are no incorporated towns or cities in Baltimore County, it sometimes seems sort of thrown together.

Here's a sampling:

pikesville md - Google Maps

catonsville md - Google Maps

dundalk md - Google Maps

overlea md - Google Maps

overlea md - Google Maps

Most of the near suburbs are only slightly, if at all, less dense than the most spread-out parts of the city.

That could pass for my inner-city street, but it's in the suburbs. It's the same house as I live in. But the cost of these houses is about 2 times mine due to the location outside of the city.
OK, I looked up a few listings on trulia for pikesville. It's kind of tedious. Here's what I found:

A $114,900 house, 187 sq. ft; 10,617 sf lot (approx 1/4 acre)

A house that I forgot to write down the price and sq. ft for, 5999 sf lot.

$191,000, 1452 sf house on a 9500 sf lot

#239,900, house, no sqare footage listed, 17,249 sf lot.

#1: Larger than my town
#2: About the same as my town.
#3: Larger
#4: Much larger

My lot is 8500 sf and considered "big". The house is 2500 sf. Our first lot was 6050 sf, house was 1300 sf. Here are some others:

$315K, 1724 sf, 4800 sf lot
$539K 2736 sf, 13,900 sf lot
$425K 2276 sf, 5754 sf lot
$318K, 1748 sf, 4800 sf lot

Sidewalk coverage is almost universal here.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-01-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
OK, I looked up a few listings on trulia for pikesville. It's kind of tedious. Here's what I found:

A $114,900 house, 187 sq. ft; 10,617 sf lot (approx 1/4 acre)
That's a tiny house! I guess you get what you pay for...

Looking at the East Meadow area on pillow, most lots were a bit over 6000 sq ft, but some were less at 5000 sq ft, others were higher at 8000 sq ft. Usual price was about $300k - $400k. Square footage was anywhere from 1100 sq ft to 1900 sq ft. I assume 1100 was the original, higher with extensions. Whole area has sidewalks, and I think just about everything in the county.

My parent's first home is listed as 5200 sq ft lot, and a bit cheaper than $300k. Also had a sidewalk. But their current one (only 5 miles away) is on an acre. So Denver suburb lot size would be considered "normal" but so would lot sizes much larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning