Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:05 PM

146 posts, read 508,735 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone

Should a city say stop to growth after a certain time or should cities just keep growing, not caring how big it gets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
Aloha everyone

Should a city say stop to growth after a certain time or should cities just keep growing, not caring how big it gets

I believe a city should say stop to growth or put up alot of restrictions that would slow the growth process down. Growth is a good thing but their is a limited amount of good growth before things start to decline.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I think it's just like a tree. A young tree can grow to a huge size and be perfectly healthy, however as it ages its inner branches start dying while outward growth continues. Cutting off the older dead branches creates new living branches in the same place - pruning the new outer growths allow the tree to regain its youthful vigor all over

Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think it's just like a tree. A young tree can grow to a huge size and be perfectly healthy, however as it ages its inner branches start dying while outward growth continues. Cutting off the older dead branches creates new living branches in the same place - pruning the new outer growths allow the tree to regain its youthful vigor all over
I believe a city is like a marijuana plant. You need to quickly identify the males and kill them because otherwise they will knock-up the glorious babes. Secondly, you must clip the tops or something and clone them. I sorta forget. All my weed plants died...... maybe I should become a city planner instead.

Or maaaaybe a city is like bamboo. All cities are one system with thousands of stalks (cities).

OH NO!

http://www.indiana.edu/~aoii/images/panda0106.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I think growth in cities is fine, but it needs to be managed. Cities shouldn't keep sprawling outwards; most need to concentrate on adding density to the existing area. If done well, growth can be a good thing.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
My inclination is towards strictly planned growth where most of the plans are constantly reviewed, discussed, and if necessary, amended to deal with new scenarios both big and small.

However, it's good that different cities try different strategies to see what works best. I'm not a fan of Houston's lack of planning and incredible sprawl, but I'd be fine with it if it were only a few cities doing this as sort of test case for other cities.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 PM

146 posts, read 508,735 times
Thanks for your opinions

I think a city should grow but have a limit & stop growing, They should focus on what they have like older houses, downtown buildings, hospitals, parks etc. They should have a limit. For example, Austin is growing, Austin has had 100,000 more people in the last 10 years, Kyle, Taylor, Round Rock, Marble Falls, Burnet & San Marcos are all suburbs & they are really growing. Kyle has had 20,000 in the last 10 years & it cannot keep up, it's too much. Just my opinion

Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
Thanks for your opinions

I think a city should grow but have a limit & stop growing, They should focus on what they have like older houses, downtown buildings, hospitals, parks etc. They should have a limit. For example, Austin is growing, Austin has had 100,000 more people in the last 10 years, Kyle, Taylor, Round Rock, Marble Falls, Burnet & San Marcos are all suburbs & they are really growing. Kyle has had 20,000 in the last 10 years & it cannot keep up, it's too much. Just my opinion
I was going to use Austin as a negative example of limiting growth. The reason Austin has a woefully inadequate freeway system is because some misguided granola mayor thought he could limit the influx of new residents by making the city more exasperating to navigate. It was a sort of If-you-don't-build-it-they-won't-come type of thing. Yeah... It didn't work. They came anyhow. Now the city's bursting at the seams and the infrastructure can't support the growth. Now they're playing catch-up.

And, how could you possibly enforce a population limit? If every time a resident died, would a lottery system be enacted to admit the next prospective citizen? Our growth supported economies wouldn't be capable of surviving a stagnant population level. Look at certain European countries and Japan where the government monetarily bribes families to have more than two kids. If the community doesn't grow, the economy dies. Whether or not this is a good economic model is a different debate, but it is what it is for the time being.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I wish the Bay Area stopped at 3 Million.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Austin ran into trouble because it also didn't really develop a parellel public transit system to displace what eventually became increased road usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning