Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times

Advertisements

Oy,

I understand what you are getting at. I wasn't dissing NYC or Chicago. I love both cities. SF, DC & Boston are physically much smaller. And yes there are large walkable swaths of NYC & Chicago that can blanket these cities on the basis of square miles. My point was.... As a whole, it's hard to compare because the cities are very different in physical size. And because they are not the same size, I believe that a higher percentage of SF is more walkable than NYC & Chicago. If we are only comparing Manhattan versus SF, then my whole analogy goes out the window. I grew up in Brooklyn, alot of Staten Island & Queens are not walkable in the traditional urban sense. Same goes for large areas on the far Southside of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Oy,

I understand what you are getting at. I wasn't dissing NYC or Chicago. I love both cities. SF, DC & Boston are physically much smaller. And yes there are large walkable swaths of NYC & Chicago that can blanket these cities on the basis of square miles. My point was.... As a whole, it's hard to compare because the cities are very different in physical size. And because they are not the same size, I believe that a higher percentage of SF is more walkable than NYC & Chicago. If we are only comparing Manhattan versus SF, then my whole analogy goes out the window. I grew up in Brooklyn, alot of Staten Island & Queens are not walkable in the traditional urban sense. Same goes for large areas on the far Southside of Chicago.
I'm in agreement when it comes to percentage. However, I think it's sort of an irrelevant point because what should matter is the absolute amount of walkable neighborhoods (and to the extent they are walkable) rather than the proportions. This could also swing in cities such as Boston's favor as several adjacent municipalities are quite dense and walkable as well. This is also somewhat mirrors the argument people have when it comes to a city's size or influence when we talk of Boston, SF, Miami, or DC being small cities which belie the fact these are functionally much larger and more influential than Phoenix, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, etc. Additionally, this is an especially important point to make since the whole point of walkability is centered on the human scale of things and of what can actually be experienced rather than what can be argued to be statistically correct.

I'd also like to add that SF should get extra points for being walkable and lively year-round due to weather conditions. I think really what's interesting about this forum isn't just people posting statistics (which is great), but being able to collectively interpret them and add new wrinkles to our understanding of them.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-27-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Oy,

Where in Queens is it not walkable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning