Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which downtown has better density?
Toronto 40 28.37%
Chicago 101 71.63%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
If you include buildings currently under construction, Toronto has 40 500+ ft. buildings, with many more proposed and highly likely to be approved and built. The gap is rapidly closing.
Dour it. Still looks like there's a lot to cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
There are at least another 15 500 footers approved and proposed, and the proposals just keep on coming, with the latest biggie being a 900+ foot building last week. The pace of development is truly mind boggling.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,905 times
Quote:
There are at least another 15 500 footers approved and proposed, and the proposals just keep on coming, with the latest biggie being a 900+ foot building last week. The pace of development is truly mind boggling.
I don't anyone is doubting Toronto is booming, just that there still is a gap and CHicago itself is not sitting still in it's construction of highrises either.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
Quote:
There is a long way from proposal to approval to construction to completion. So don't count your chickens before they are hatched... it could be years before some of these projects get off the ground.

Toronto does have a number of additional 500 footers currently under construction, but even some of those aren't scheduled for completion for another 2-3 years. Once they are all built Toronto will have forty 500 footers. Less than 40% of Chicago. That's a huge gap that you don't close in a decade or even in a generation. And while the US economy is still weak, don't assume that will continue forever. It's all cyclical and sooner or later the pace of construction throughout the US will pick up again (in some places it has already).

Not taking anything away from Toronto because I do think what's happening there right now is very exciting, but Chicago is simply on another level.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty678 View Post
The people who think the gap in the number of 500+ footers isn't rapidly decreasing are delusional. Of course it's rapidly decreasing, because Toronto has far more 500+ footers under construction than Chicago. How many 500+ footers does Chicago have u/c? Maybe one or two? Toronto has many.

That doesn't mean it won't be a long time before Toronto catches Chicago in 500+ footers. But as of RIGHT NOW, the gap is rapidly closing.

Also, there are actually 47 500+ footers in Toronto including the u/c buildings.
You must be counting the CN Tower and various masts and chimneys in your total. Per Emporis, Toronto currently has 24 500 footers completed and 18 u/c. So if all goes well it will have 42 in the next 3 to 5 years. Chicago has 105!

Is the gap closing? At this point in time, yes. Is it rapidly closing? I am not going to get into semantics, but suffice it to say that when the gap is so large there can be nothing rapid about it.

Also, keep in mind we are taking a snapshot at a time when Toronto is experiencing an unprecedented boom while the US is reeling from the financial crisis. But we are poised for a rebound, and when that happens watch out. In the 10 years from 2000 to 2010, Chicago built 33 500 footers. That's more than Toronto has built in its entire history. And if you don't think we will see another boom like that in the next decade or two then you are delusional. Real estate is cyclical.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
No, I wasn't counting CN Tower or any "chimneys". From emporis I counted 76 total 500+ footers, 29 of which were NOT complete or u/c. 76-29 = 47.
Incorrect. Emporis is showing a total of 75 500+ footers in Toronto. Of those 24 are completed and 18 are u/c. The rest are unbuilt, planned or not skyscrapers.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how large the gap is.
It doesn't? Did you forget what the thread is about?

Quote:

Say we both collect jelly beans. You have 5000, I have 2000. But I am currently collect 50 per week, you are collecting 30 per week. I am rapidly closing the jelly bean gap, even though it will take me years to catch you.

Yes, that's why I said the gap is CURRENTLY closing rapidly. I didn't say anything about what will happen in the future, and it's pointless to speculate.
Well by that logic Toronto is also "rapidly closing" the gap on New York. So what's your point? I get the sense you just like to argue.

I am saying there is a huge gap separating Chicago and Toronto - which is a fact - and while I recognize that the current pace of development in Toronto is very impressive it's only going to make a small dent in that gap. At best Toronto will reach about 40% of Chicago's 500 footers in the next 5 years. Therefore it's misleading to say that the gap is "rapidly closing". That's like saying that Lexus is rapidly closing the gap on Ferrari by adding an extra 50 HPs to its latest model.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:04 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Sometimes having tall buildings makes other tall but shorter buildings look like short buildings and then makes the regular 400 high rise buildings seem like nothing.

In any other city those small 400ers would make a bigger impact.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Yeah, all the 400 and even 500 footers behind the big towers of the financial district look puny in comparison when looking at the view from the CN Tower. Once some of the big new towers in the 600-900 foot range are completed in that section of downtown, the cityscape will look a lot more balanced.

Pic by meezoid on Flickr.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, all the 400 and even 500 footers behind the big towers of the financial district look puny in comparison when looking at the view from the CN Tower. Once some of the big new towers in the 600-900 foot range are completed in that section of downtown, the cityscape will look a lot more balanced.

Pic by meezoid on Flickr.
Nice photo. It's been years since I've been to Toronto... On my list for the summer.

What's the best time to visit?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM

I've always thought late summer is the best time, it's a little less humid and still lots of summer activities in full swing.

Here's a pic courtesy of insertnamehere on SSP showing most of the planned developments looking South from the Yorkville area with the financial district and Lake Ontario in the distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning