Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which downtown has better density?
Toronto 40 28.37%
Chicago 101 71.63%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times

Advertisements

Which downtown has the better density, urban planning, structure placement etc?

Toronto:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9828/tor2.png (broken link)

Chicago:

Last edited by ThroatGuzzler; 07-13-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM

330 posts, read 681,856 times
Chicago has a much higher density of office space, though Toronto's office towers are much better integrated with the subway system - some of Chicago's office towers are a good 10-minute (outdoor) walk from the nearest subway stop, which sucks in the winter. Chicago has a much higher percentage of metro-area office space in it's downtown, though if you include office space along the Yonge subway line north of downtown Toronto as "downtown office space", they're probably about even.

Population density they're probably about equal (the downtowns I'm talking about).

Density of retail space, probably Toronto by a little. Though maybe not. Chicago has more downtown dept. stores. Toronto has a lot more downtown retail streets.

Downtown Toronto has more frequent transit service. Both subway lines never have scheduled head ways of more than 5 minutes. All the streetcar lines also run 5 minutes or less for most of the day. There are also five 24-hour transit routes, one of which runs every 3-4 minutes in both directions until about 4am, and two of which never have scheduled head ways longer than 15 minutes, at any time of night 7 days a week. Downtown Chicago though is served by more commuter rail lines.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Which downtown has the better density, urban planning, structure placement etc?
Well one thing I like about Toronto's downtown is that the surrounding neighborhoods blend more seamlessly into the central business district than they do in Chicago. Aside form the Gold Coast on the north side of downtown, the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Chicago feel cut of from the city core. This gives Toronto the advantage of being more walkable.

Chicago's advantage over Toronto is the great lakefront parkland adjacent to downtown. Toronto's lakefront is pretty weak, at least in the downtown area. Chicago also has much more attractive buildings.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Chicago's advantage over Toronto is the great lakefront parkland adjacent to downtown. Toronto's lakefront is pretty weak, at least in the downtown area. Chicago also has much more attractive buildings.
I agree.. a majority Toronto buildings lack character, most historical buildings are becoming demolished because they lie in very expensive downtown lots, where large business skyscrapers are planning to be built. Chicago found a way to conserve their historical buildings and learn to incorperate it with new developments. I'm not saying old architecture in Toronto is completely gone, but it's slowly diminishing..

Old 07-14-2009, 04:17 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Tough call, both cities are very dense.

Here are more pics of Toronto for comparison.

by ganjavih @ urbantoronto
Toronto from Porter Airlines - Urban Toronto (http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=9467 - broken link)

Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM

I love how distinguised midtown, uptown, and downtown is in Toronto, something Chicago doesn't possess.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
That pic of Toronto looks like Chicago cut in half and then in quarters.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I think Toronto's is more spread out and has a lot of buildings, but Chicago's are more tightly packed downtown.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:33 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Awesome pics!

Old 07-18-2009, 05:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Chicago wins on the density. It just oozes it.

That being said, Toronto is pretty interesting..I like the city's setup. I like Yonge Street in that it seems like something is going on there all the time, and since it's so long, it's easy enough for everyone to get to.

What surprised me most about Toronto was how easy it was to just drive right through it...much more manageable...it might be a large city, but still feels like a small city in many ways. That's not a bad thing either.

Chicago though just screams 'urban city'..and oozes it everywhere. It also takes forever to drive into or drive out of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning